The Student Room Group

What am I allowed to do on a DSA computer?

Hello

I have now got my computer from DSA's. I only get 1 (because the supplier can only supply me with 1) training session so I am trying to find out what I can myself, so that session helps with what I can't do. But then change and new things is hard, it's a new person to me and a new thing so I can't imagine to manage much in the first/only session. So, i want to find out what I can without it.

So, I read somewhere (not sure where but I think on the stuff on the desktop from the equipment supplier) that the computer is only for things that are related to my course, not for YouTube, Facebook, music websites, downloads etc.. (not that i even use all of those) But I want to know how true that is?

Firstly, do they really expect that if I'm doing work and researching things online could I not log into my emails, or maybe come on here (in a break of course, not when working!) or do I need a complete separate computer for things like this too?
My uni halls don't have TV's but there is TV through computers-would it allow me to use that?
Also, with downloading-what if it's downloading a article that's for an assignment?
Another about downloading, one of my softwares is called Text Help,and when I go onto google chrome It opens a tab about downloading an attachment. Am I allowed to download that?
Basically, am I allowed to use the computer as a computer as I would if it was my own? or do they come and check it every so often, and it really is LITERALLY just course things, and they then expect I have some other computer for everything else?

Final thought, I was not able to be there when it was delivered and installed (they came 2 hours late, and I was out that afternoon, had to get someone else to stay in the house for it) so I don't know any basic info like is their any security software I need to know about? or any scans I need to tell it to do every so often? Also there's something about insurance in my equipment list too but I don't know anything about that either. How do I find out.
I'm really worried about doing something wrong like not doing a security scan, or doing something I'm not allowed to do. just want a bit of reassurance really!
They don't check what you do on it. But they wouldn't repair it if you downloaded something unrelated to the course (ie, a game) which then gave it a virus or something.
They won't check. As long as you're careful, check if there's an anti virus program on it, they should have provided one, and scan regularly you should be fine.
Your be fine as long as you put some decent anti virus software in it. I think the best you can get for free is Panda Anti Virus. You can also get free Anti Virus if you bank with a bank that offers online banking. I get Kaspersky with Barclays for free.
Wow and I thought I was a worrier! People don't yet hate disabled people enough that they are sending squads of enforcers round to look through their computers. As for antivirus, it's not a problem like it used to be ten years or so ago. Get a free basic one like AVG or Avira to cover any gaps but apart from that you can quite happily bum off the free trials for twelve months until the following year's products come out. Malwarebytes is also the bee's knees when it comes to detecting the kind of thing that actually could **** up your computer
Reply 5
Original post by Dauntless
They won't check. As long as you're careful, check if there's an anti virus program on it, they should have provided one, and scan regularly you should be fine.

There is lots of things on my equipment list (from the supplier) that I don't really understand. Things like 2 year laptop insurance, 2 year maintence contract for laptop, 2 year maintenance contract for peripherals. I can't see any anti virus on the list, is there another way I can check?
You write scan reglarly, what does that mean?

Original post by illegaltobepoor
Your be fine as long as you put some decent anti virus software in it. I think the best you can get for free is Panda Anti Virus. You can also get free Anti Virus if you bank with a bank that offers online banking. I get Kaspersky with Barclays for free.

I bank with barclays, so this may be a good option if I find out i don't have one. How do I get that from barclays though?

Original post by scrotgrot
Wow and I thought I was a worrier! People don't yet hate disabled people enough that they are sending squads of enforcers round to look through their computers. As for antivirus, it's not a problem like it used to be ten years or so ago. Get a free basic one like AVG or Avira to cover any gaps but apart from that you can quite happily bum off the free trials for twelve months until the following year's products come out. Malwarebytes is also the bee's knees when it comes to detecting the kind of thing that actually could **** up your computer

Yes, I know I do worry a lot. My disability affects understanding, so I worry that I don't understand something really important, and then will make a mistake because of that. And mistakes can be expensive.. or other bad things like get me kicked off my course, or loose support ect, so want to do everything i can not to do any of these things.
Original post by dipka

I bank with barclays, so this may be a good option if I find out i don't have one. How do I get that from barclays though?

You log onto your online banking and it is in the offers and rewards section labelled free anti virus. If you where to buy it separate it would cost you around £50.
Original post by scrotgrot

Didn't know you where one of us as well. Makes sense. You where always backing up 95% of my posts.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Didn't know you where one of us as well. Makes sense. You where always backing up 95% of my posts.

Nuh uh I'm not disabled but mine and my girlfriend's families both have non-old people with serious disabilities in
I was going to post a similar question. As, I was reading through my report and saw that warning. Thing is it is my own personal laptop that I had bought, so I was wondering can the really tell me what I can use my own personal laptop for. Scared for a moment I had to get rid of FF14 game, lol.
Reply 10
When my assistive trainer came for my training I asked them the same question and he said it's for my personal use and they won't ask for it back so I can do whatever I want with it, (as long as I have attended one day on my course.)
Reply 11
Original post by alexyyyy
When my assistive trainer came for my training I asked them the same question and he said it's for my personal use and they won't ask for it back so I can do whatever I want with it, (as long as I have attended one day on my course.)

This is reasuring, I asked mine and he did not know. Still quite worried about it though. Also worrying about antivirus, is there a definate way to check? My trainer is not that helpful, like he just would tell me like a script almost, when i asked questions he just carried on, then when he finished rushed off 15 mins before my time acually ended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by dipka
This is reasuring, I asked mine and he did not know. Still quite worried about it though. Also worrying about antivirus, is there a definate way to check? My trainer is not that helpful, like he just would tell me like a script almost, when i asked questions he just carried on, then when he finished rushed off 15 mins before my time acually ended.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need Windows Defender installed to keep pesky bugs and viruses away from your system.
Reply 13
Original post by alexyyyy
You need Windows Defender installed to keep pesky bugs and viruses away from your system.

No idea what that is
Reply 14
Hi guys im new to this and i just want to know if you know which kind of laptop you get depending on your needs. I have a long term health condition and I am also dyslexic. I study fashion photography at ual and i know certain laptops are betters with certain software like Adobe for example. Does anybody have a similar situation and know which laptop im likely to be given? The one i have now is a windows asus of over four years and to be fair i prefer Mac when it comes to using Adobe software but am grateful to be able to get a laptop in the first place! Thanks
Original post by bluespit
Hi guys im new to this and i just want to know if you know which kind of laptop you get depending on your needs. I have a long term health condition and I am also dyslexic. I study fashion photography at ual and i know certain laptops are betters with certain software like Adobe for example. Does anybody have a similar situation and know which laptop im likely to be given? The one i have now is a windows asus of over four years and to be fair i prefer Mac when it comes to using Adobe software but am grateful to be able to get a laptop in the first place! Thanks

Mostly likely they ll give you a basic i3 Intel laptop unless you pay an upgrade fee, it ll just be the lowest spec laptop that will run dragon and read and write on it really so I ve always had my own PCs rather than a dsa one
Reply 16
Original post by claireestelle
Mostly likely they ll give you a basic i3 Intel laptop unless you pay an upgrade fee, it ll just be the lowest spec laptop that will run dragon and read and write on it really so I ve always had my own PCs rather than a dsa one

Yeah cos the lady mentioned something with a big screen and a high processor (she then mentioned toshiba or mac) so i dont know

Quick Reply

Latest