The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

HEY EVERYONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

would i stand a chance to apply to exeter? is it a point system used/what is the weighting????
STATS:
GCSEs = 7A*, 2A
AS = AAAB (retaking one paper in the B, veryyy close to an A UMS wise!!!)
A2 predictions = A*AA
Very strong personal statement with lotsssss of work experience in several health environments, hospice voluntary work, long term volunteer work at care home, non - academic achievements i.e. writing competitions, cooking competitions, music grades etc.
BUT....
only scored 610 consistently in each section of UKCAT with band 2 SJ!! :frown: will this make my application weak???

opinions and further knowledge on exeters scoring system as well as previous years requirements would be MUCH APPRECIATED :smile:))))
THANKS XX
Original post by Twitty123
Hi, I was thinking about applying for Exeter but don't know what ukcat I need. I've achieved A*A*A* so what do I roughly need to get? Got the ukcat on Monday! If anyone could help would be really appreciated.

It's really hard to guess. Based on last year you would only have needed average 620 ish with your grades but it is worth reading this thread through completely so that you see the range of interview types/successful candidate profiles as it was very confusing and unpredictable last year. Remember that they will change anything they need to in order to work with this year's applicant profile but their emphasis has generally shifted towards tariff points over the last year or two...good luck!
Original post by Mimikhalil
HEY EVERYONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

would i stand a chance to apply to exeter? is it a point system used/what is the weighting????
STATS:
GCSEs = 7A*, 2A
AS = AAAB (retaking one paper in the B, veryyy close to an A UMS wise!!!)
A2 predictions = A*AA
Very strong personal statement with lotsssss of work experience in several health environments, hospice voluntary work, long term volunteer work at care home, non - academic achievements i.e. writing competitions, cooking competitions, music grades etc.
BUT....
only scored 610 consistently in each section of UKCAT with band 2 SJ!! :frown: will this make my application weak???

opinions and further knowledge on exeters scoring system as well as previous years requirements would be MUCH APPRECIATED :smile:))))
THANKS XX

Hi, it's difficult to say really, last year for predicted grades they seemed to be looking for A*A*A predictions then gave offers for A*AA (unless your college qualifies for contextual offers, in which case predicted A*AA should be okay). They may not follow the same pattern this year, but with low 600's in the UKCAT an interview could be for a reserves list. If you've got your heart set on Exeter it may be worth applying as it's not like you wouldn't have a chance, but following last years pattern another University may be more likely to give you an interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Twitty123
Hi, I was thinking about applying for Exeter but don't know what ukcat I need. I've achieved A*A*A* so what do I roughly need to get? Got the ukcat on Monday! If anyone could help would be really appreciated.

Difficult to say, Exeter seem pretty focuses on grades over UKCAT to get to interview and after that is down to the interview almost solely. They don't set a specific cut off and will vary depending the years applicants. I'd say as long as you're getting over 600 consistently with those grades achieved it would be worth an application. I can remember when I was applying last year there seemed to be much less emphasis on UCKAT than some other universities.
Original post by Wackyboi123
From what I've read, your A Level Results will put you in Band 2, however you may just be offered an interview for the reserve list based on your UKCAT score. UKCAT usually updates the average scores for each section so I would keep track of that, as long as your getting above the average score then there is still a chance. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Hey! So do they consider scores for each section? I thought that was only Plymouth uni? I only had 560 for VR :frown: my average was 665 btw. Also do you think I have a good chance with A*A*A*AAB predictions?
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Hey! So do they consider scores for each section? I thought that was only Plymouth uni? I only had 560 for VR :frown: my average was 665 btw. Also do you think I have a good chance with A*A*A*AAB predictions?

No, they only consider the overall score.
Original post by Hydeman
No, they only consider the overall score.

Thought so, just wanted to double check in case I missed anything :colondollar:
Thanks!
Anyone applying or applied to Plymouth or Exeter via the non-direct school leaver GAMSAT route and can offer any insight?
GCSEs 3A*s 3As 2Bs
UKCAT average is 627.5
Is it work taking the risk of applying here? Any ideas in which other unis?
Thanks much appreciated !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charnot1997
GCSEs 3A*s 3As 2Bs
UKCAT average is 627.5
Is it work taking the risk of applying here? Any ideas in which other unis?
Thanks much appreciated !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you're predicted A*A*A* or A*A*A, I don't think Exeter's a good idea, to be honest. Your UKCAT seems fairly average for an Exeter applicant although you should check to see which decile you fall into when the deciles are announced on 9 October.

What're your AS results like? Have you thought about the BMAT?
I did the ukcat this year and got 510 in VR, 670 in QR, 570 in AR , 520 in DA and band2 in situational judgement. An average score of 568 which is not great. Should I even bother applying to exeter?
Help much appreciated :smile:
Original post by radioactivesaz
I did the ukcat this year and got 510 in VR, 670 in QR, 570 in AR , 520 in DA and band2 in situational judgement. An average score of 568 which is not great. Should I even bother applying to exeter?
Help much appreciated :smile:

Hey. There's a 2016 Exeter medical applicants thread now if you wanna go over there. :smile:

To answer your question though: I'd recommend applying elsewhere. Exeter is quite UKCAT-heavy and it's unlikely that any average less than 600 is going to be competitive, even with A*A*A* predictions.

The places where a low UKCAT wouldn't count against you very much would include Cardiff (GCSE-heavy), Bristol (personal statement-heavy; doesn't use UKCAT), Keele (personal statement-heavy) and the BMAT universities.
Original post by sianhoskins1
Anyone applying or applied to Plymouth or Exeter via the non-direct school leaver GAMSAT route and can offer any insight?

Im applying GAMSAT route for the second time. I got this from Exeter when I asked about previous results last year
Original post by k8clar
Hey! I've applied to Exeter this year for medicine in 2016.
I am a bit worried they are going to reject me solely on my TERRIBLE UKCAT exam. (2270) got VR/610 QA/ 640 AR/510 and DA/500 think I freaked out mid way through sitting it as Id thought VR was awful.

Anyway I have an already A* B grades. B in biology and currently doing my AS and A2 chemistry this year. So predicted A*AA

I'm so scared that due to such a bad UKCAT score I may instantly be rejected? I am applying with through UCAS extenuating circumstances due to long periods of ill health and absence from school so I am just praying they take that into consideration 😔

Is Exeter a bad choice? I also applied Aberdeen and Dundee (again I was limited as to where I could apply)

There's a 2016 thread out there for this sort of thing but I'll answer anyway. :smile:

Are you a resit applicant? If so, I'm afraid your chances don't look good (since you're limited to universities that accept resits). This year, Exeter are using a system of tiering applicants according to predicted grades. Those with A*A*A* predictions or higher are placed in tier 1, those with A*A*A predictions are placed in tier 2, those with A*AA in tier 3, those with AAA in tier 4 and those with anything lower than that in tier 5.

What they've said regarding the UKCAT is this: they will only use it if a specific tier is oversubscribed. So if they get a lot of applications from people with A*AA predictions -- more than they have interview slots -- they'll impose a cut-off to narrow down the field. And if that happens, it's unlikely that your score would be competitive. Who knows, it might not happen. If you're limited for other choices, then I'd just apply and see what happens. After all the only way to guarantee that you won't get in is to not apply in the first place.

Good luck. :smile:
Hi, at GCSE, I got:
-English lang = B
-English lit = A*
-RS (short course) = A*
-Art = B
-Core = B
-Additional = B
-Further = A
-Maths = A
-Statistics = A
-History = A
-German = A
-ICT = A

I'm taking biology, chemistry and german at A level, and I'm in Year 12 now. I really want to do medicine, but I know my GCSEs aren't anywhere near good enough for it, so I have a plan to do biomedical sciences first, then reapply for medicine with that degree. I'm looking at Exeter, and I really like the medical sciences course that they have, so do you think I'll be good enough for it?

Original post by MiracleLeaf
Hi, at GCSE, I got:
-English lang = B
-English lit = A*
-RS (short course) = A*
-Art = B
-Core = B
-Additional = B
-Further = A
-Maths = A
-Statistics = A
-History = A
-German = A
-ICT = A

I'm taking biology, chemistry and german at A level, and I'm in Year 12 now. I really want to do medicine, but I know my GCSEs aren't anywhere near good enough for it, so I have a plan to do biomedical sciences first, then reapply for medicine with that degree. I'm looking at Exeter, and I really like the medical sciences course that they have, so do you think I'll be good enough for it?

I wouldn't write-off your chances of getting into medicine as an undergrad. Thee are plenty of places that only use GCSEs for minimum baseline thresholds and then look at predicted grades, UKCAT, BMAT or PS to discriminate between applicants. With a really good PS you stand a very good chance of getting interviews. Read the admissions selection criteria carefully for places like BSMS, UEA, Keele, Plymouth and Exeter and see whether their current thresholds would be met with your results. I think that if you are tactical you could apply for medicine and would stand as good a chance as anybody else...
Also bear in mind that graduate entry to Medicine is much more competitive than undergrad entry :frown:
Original post by MiracleLeaf
Hi, at GCSE, I got:
-English lang = B
-English lit = A*
-RS (short course) = A*
-Art = B
-Core = B
-Additional = B
-Further = A
-Maths = A
-Statistics = A
-History = A
-German = A
-ICT = A

This:

Original post by Dr Gin
Also bear in mind that graduate entry to Medicine is much more competitive than undergrad entry :frown:

You really shouldn't be planning to do graduate entry medicine unless you've failed to achieve at least AAA at A Level in a two-year period and, for whatever reason, cannot bring your grades up to apply to the medical schools that accept resit applicants. Graduate entry medicine is quite literally not worth anybody's time unless they satisfy a very specific set of circumstances and a 'bad' GCSE profile isn't one of them. Seriously, do not plan to do graduate entry medicine. That's just defeatism.

There's no guarantee that GEM programmes will even exist by the time you're finishing off your first degree and you won't be able to get student finance to join the five-year A100 courses so, unless money is no object, go for straight medicine.

Also, this is last year's A100 applicants' thread so it's probably best to create a new thread in the Exeter forum about this if you want to discuss this at length. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dr Gin
Farewell Exeter! Finally my daughter has made her decision and firmed Plymouth. Good luck to you all and thanks for all the support on this thread!

Hi Dr Gin!

Did you daughter have offers from Plymouth and Exeter? If so, why did she choose Plymouth over Exeter? I'm currently in the same position- and have almost 99% decided to firm plymouth, but just trying to find some more reasons!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending