The Student Room Group

Mphil Management Cambridge 2016/2017

Hey guys,

I'm starting this thread to share ideas, our profiles etc. for the ones interested in the Mphil Management Cambridge !

Anyone started to prepare their application?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Concerning the supporting documents (http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/bmjbmpmgt/apply), it says that we only need to provide 2 references + transcript. No personal statement/SOP. Is that right? Am I missing something?
Original post by cam4831
Concerning the supporting documents (http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/bmjbmpmgt/apply), it says that we only need to provide 2 references + transcript. No personal statement/SOP. Is that right? Am I missing something?

I've noticed that as well. Has anyone got an idea of how difficult it would be to get onto this course as an Economics grad with a first from a roughly 20th ranked university in the UK? Are there any application statistics?
Reply 3
Original post by EconomistJack
I've noticed that as well. Has anyone got an idea of how difficult it would be to get onto this course as an Economics grad with a first from a roughly 20th ranked university in the UK? Are there any application statistics?

You can find some application statistics of JBS online but I don't think there is any for this particular Mphil programme. If I remember correctly it was around 8% for 2013/2014.
What's your profile? :smile:
Original post by cam4831
You can find some application statistics of JBS online but I don't think there is any for this particular Mphil programme. If I remember correctly it was around 8% for 2013/2014.
What's your profile? :smile:

Since I posted this I've found some (albeit rather outdated) official statistics. I'll try and find the link and post it here. But if I remember correctly roughly 25% got an offer and around half of those actually took up their place!

I've just graduated with a first class for my BSc Economics at a roughly ~20th placed university in the UK. First class grades for everything in final year, top of my year of 200 for particular parts of 2nd year. Currently interning in a financial services firm in Shanghai and have done a research internship also. Not sure they count at all though. Stressing over whether to take the GMAT and boost my chances - as I don't know how great my profile is compared to the typical applicant!

What is your background? :smile:
Reply 5
Since I posted this I've found some (albeit rather outdated) official statistics. I'll try and find the link and post it here. But if I remember correctly roughly 25% got an offer and around half of those actually took up their place!

I've just graduated with a first class for my BSc Economics at a roughly ~20th placed university in the UK. First class grades for everything in final year, top of my year of 200 for particular parts of 2nd year. Currently interning in a financial services firm in Shanghai and have done a research internship also. Not sure they count at all though. Stressing over whether to take the GMAT and boost my chances - as I don't know how great my profile is compared to the typical applicant!

What is your background? :smile:

25% waouh...

Your profile looks good ! I'm graduating this year form a french BA in International relations and modern languages (#1 french university for both), one year exchange in Cambridge, first class honor; 2 finance oriented internships in China as well ! I'm not planning to take the GMAT though, do you really think it's necessary?
Original post by cam4831
25% waouh...

Your profile looks good ! I'm graduating this year form a french BA in International relations and modern languages (#1 french university for both), one year exchange in Cambridge, first class honor; 2 finance oriented internships in China as well ! I'm not planning to take the GMAT though, do you really think it's necessary?

Found the link! Here: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/gpmgt.html

Nice profile too! What did you do in China?

I think the fact you've already studied there will surely help you? ...What do you think?

I've looked into the GMAT, I'm just really not sure what to do since it's not a requirement. I'm torn between delaying my application until end of November and taking the test or just getting on with it now... i may not even get an impressive score!
Reply 7
Found the link! Here: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/gpmgt.html

Nice profile too! What did you do in China?

I think the fact you've already studied there will surely help you? ...What do you think?

I've looked into the GMAT, I'm just really not sure what to do since it's not a requirement. I'm torn between delaying my application until end of November and taking the test or just getting on with it now... i may not even get an impressive score!

Useful link, thanks !

I'm actually starting in October, I'll try to get a reference from one of my supervisors, hope it will help...

Well, it's up to you, you still have time to think about it. Did you start thinking about colleges?
Original post by cam4831
Useful link, thanks !

I'm actually starting in October, I'll try to get a reference from one of my supervisors, hope it will help...

Well, it's up to you, you still have time to think about it. Did you start thinking about colleges?

Starting in China or Cambridge?

I haven't yet, like I said I'm currently abroad so a bit out of the loop. I will start looking into it the next week or so.

Have you thought about the personal statement? Are you going to try to direct it more towards your knowledge of the subject or personal motivation?
Reply 9
Ooops, I was talking about Cambridge. In China, I interned in a "wealth management company" (like the way they like to call it) and a chinese bank.
I emailed the admission office for the PS question, I'm not even sure we need one, which is rather odd...
Reply 10
Starting in China or Cambridge?

I haven't yet, like I said I'm currently abroad so a bit out of the loop. I will start looking into it the next week or so.

Have you thought about the personal statement? Are you going to try to direct it more towards your knowledge of the subject or personal motivation?

Ooops, I was talking about Cambridge. In China, I interned in a "wealth management company" (like the way they like to call it) and a chinese bank. I emailed the admission office for the PS question, I'm not even sure we need one, which is rather odd...
Original post by cam4831
Ooops, I was talking about Cambridge. In China, I interned in a "wealth management company" (like the way they like to call it) and a chinese bank. I emailed the admission office for the PS question, I'm not even sure we need one, which is rather odd...

There is definitely a PS style question, you have approx 1800 characters. There is also an 'additional/supporting information' question and one on career goals and objectives. I've logged into the system to find out this information.
Reply 12
There is definitely a PS style question, you have approx 1800 characters. There is also an 'additional/supporting information' question and one on career goals and objectives. I've logged into the system to find out this information.

Yes you're right !!
I think we should emphasize on our personal motivation and achievements. I don't think we should talk too much about our knowledge of the subject since none of the applicants are supposed to have done management studies before. That's my point of view of course !
Original post by cam4831
Yes you're right !!
I think we should emphasize on our personal motivation and achievements. I don't think we should talk too much about our knowledge of the subject since none of the applicants are supposed to have done management studies before. That's my point of view of course !

I agree with you - I think for this specific programme they aren't looking for intricate and in depth knowledge of the subject, but rather engaged and motivated candidates.

What is your reason for wanting to apply? Are you considering a similar course elsewhere?
Reply 14
Well interesting conversation, dont mind if i chip in.

Well the Mphil or the MiM (as it is popularly known as in Europe) is a pre experience degree mainly aimed at providing young graduates or professionals with a strong background in business and giving them an early leg up in their careers.

Now the Statement of purpose that is asked of the applicants, is basically there to give the applicant a chance to

1)Introduce yourself in a brief paragraphs
2)Talk about Why Cambridge, Why the MPhil program & How it can help you to achieve your career goals

In the introduce yourself part, you can talk about what makes you an excellent candidate, what skills have you gained via your experiences, what achievements do you have and what exactly will you bring to the 2016 batch of Cambridge. So yes the way you describe your profile is really important.

And then of course Why Cambridge is extremely important, as the school wants to know why are you choosing this specific school; basically how badly do you want it. They don't want applicants who are just applying to 10 random schools and Cambridge is just one name on that list.

So well, cover these 2 points and 80% of your job is done.
Check out http://www.mim-essay.com/mim-essay-help.html for mote tips on how to ace the SOP.

Hope the answer helped.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi all, I'm in the midst of applying for this course as well. How are your applications coming along?
Original post by cambridgewh
Hi all, I'm in the midst of applying for this course as well. How are your applications coming along?

Hey! In the middle of my application as well... what's your profile like? I gather from your username that you're already at cambridge?
Unfortunately not mate, I created this account solely for my masters application at Cambridge!

About myself: I'm currently studying Economics and Finance at a Russell Group university, achieved high 1:1 for my first two years (average for both years 81.5%). Held some leadership roles in school, nothing spectacular. No relevant internship and didn't take GMAT nor GRE so I'm not sure if I stand a good chance actually :redface:

Hey! In the middle of my application as well... what's your profile like? I gather from your username that you're already at cambridge?
Reply 18
Original post by cambridgewh
Unfortunately not mate, I created this account solely for my masters application at Cambridge!

About myself: I'm currently studying Economics and Finance at a Russell Group university, achieved high 1:1 for my first two years (average for both years 81.5%). Held some leadership roles in school, nothing spectacular. No relevant internship and didn't take GMAT nor GRE so I'm not sure if I stand a good chance actually :redface:

I think your application is quite competitive, because you have both achieved 80%+ in two years which is awesome, and I don't really think Cambridge will care too much about internship in terms of this course.
Thank you for your kind evaluation - I certainly hope I can get on the course!

Are you applying for the course as well, what is your profile like? :smile:

Original post by Zhedong
I think your application is quite competitive, because you have both achieved 80%+ in two years which is awesome, and I don't really think Cambridge will care too much about internship in terms of this course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending