The Student Room Group

Alevel history - whats it like really

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
Do you do edexcel?

no AQA, WBU? :h:
Reply 21
Original post by jamestg
I'm in Y12 and got an A at GCSE level and predicted a B for my AS.

It's hard, really hard.

Your 'breadth' unit is both in depth and breadth, unlike GCSE so there is A LOT to remember it's literally just called breadth because it's studying a longer period of time. Your 'depth' unit is in a huge amount of detail and you could be looking at a 30 year time period as well.

Luckily both your two units usually go together - so I'm doing Fascist Italy and Germany 1918-89, the fascism in 20th century Europe route for my AS!

It is really interesting though but there is a lot of writing, research, presenting and reading. Just for two exams I have 3 textbooks, 2 additional books and 5 extra reading books. The exam is also quite difficult with the way it works, however the depth unit is more like the GCSE exam. Your breadth unit is examined in a 2hr and 15min exam and you have to write 3 20 mark essays.

I am loving the depth we're going into, the essays and the fact we get to do presentations - AND MY CLASS HAS LIKE 5 OTHER PEOPLE IN!

It's taken like 8 weeks to 'bridge' the gap between GCSE and A-level, unlike my other subjects where it would be overcome in a week or even a day.

oh right:frown: ive been a bit put off it to be honest now... thankyou thou for helping me:smile:
Original post by FaithKG
oh right:frown: ive been a bit put off it to be honest now... thankyou thou for helping me:smile:

Try not to be put off of it! Do look into it, but if it is definitely not for fair enough!
Reply 23
Original post by Sayless
I did A level OCR History for Tudor rebellions and Russia in turmoil, the course is pretty easy. For Tudor rebellions you just have to learn the rebellions and the factors in the rebellions and talk about sources and provenance. In Russia in turmoil you answer two essay questions on importance of a factor or how an individuals actions led to something etc, you just have to write about points link them, and use some key words and descriptions for high marks. It requires a lot to remember and lots of essay plans to learn.

It is similar to GCSE in some ways for analysing sources but the essay writing is a lot different.

right okay thanks
Original post by CoolCavy
no AQA, WBU? :h:

Edexcel! :h:

I'm quite happy about that because they're just a much better exam board with much better markers lol.
Original post by jamestg
#reasonswhyiamonlydoingtheas

I've got 45 markers in politics next year though, *throws up*

The learning about it makes up for the essays in my opinion.

I wish I had've done politics, i'm going to do it and economics at uni next year if i get in. Also some people I know who do geography have 60 mark questions. :puke:
Reply 26
Original post by TrojanH
I used to think I liked essays. After my grades I didn't.

I like history. Some aspects are boring but It's worth it to learn more about the past and how things worked then. I'm better at science though but picked History because I enjoyed it. If it's something you like then you should do it as you would get better grades but for some reason It didn't work that way for me (general consensus in my subject is that they need to change the way they're teaching as they've marked our essays wrong internally and so when we had our exams they were underperformed). To be clear I got a grade C, but am capable of A grades.

:frown::frown::frown::frown: ahhh okay thanks
Last thing, if you're not doing that great in your GCSE essays - it doesn't mean you'll do badly with your A-level ones!

I was averaging 11 or 12 out of 16 for GCSEs yet my first couple of essays have been getting around 17/20!
Original post by United1892
Yeah but they're so long they hurt your hand.

They should supply us with plasters at the end of the exam, I get 'pen blisters' :mmm:

Original post by FaithKG
why?

I'm only joking. It's fun actually! Really enjoyable. But the exam is hard, it's difficult to find that 'technique' of writing perfectly to hit all the marks in such a short amount of time. But overall I'm in A2 now and enjoying it :h: but too many essayssss :afraid:
Original post by jamestg
Edexcel! :h:

I'm quite happy about that because they're just a much better exam board with much better markers lol.

lol i dislike edexcel after..well we all know what :biggrin:

Spoiler

there are 25 mark questions...:s-smilie:

I had a 70 marker for my AS :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by desmoulins
Hey :smile:
For me, A level history led on quite nicely from GCSE, there wasn't a huge jump in anything other than workload. Be prepared to do a lot of work- but sometimes the work can be really interesting as you're getting really deeply into a subject and find that you can really debate and analyse historical themes. The amount you learn is really amazing, but it doesn't come without lots of hard work. Also, if your school offers a topic that you're not really interested in, I wouldn't recommend it- I did history to AS, got an A, but then dropped it because I had no interest whatsoever in either of the A2 topics and I'd found the first few weeks painfully boring.
Basically, if the topics your school covers interest you: do it!! If not, it's an awful lot of work for something you won't really enjoy.

:smile: thankyou
Original post by Oiseaux
I had a 70 marker for my AS :biggrin:

whhaaaaaa? it gets worse :zomg: what exam board was that with?
Original post by United1892
The learning about it makes up for the essays in my opinion.

I wish I had've done politics, i'm going to do it and economics at uni next year if i get in. Also some people I know who do geography have 60 mark questions. :puke:

Ouch!

Politics is really interesting but I HATE THE MARK SCHEMES AND ESSAYS IN GENERAL. It's all so vague and the questions are honestly horrid, I got 12/25 on my second politics essay which was abysmal and I've got no idea how to improve.

It's really, really hard! I think it's funny that the difficulty of Politics and History have kind of swapped around since the start of Y12 - I'm struggling with Poltiics now but not History!
lol i dislike edexcel after..well we all know what :biggrin:

Spoiler

I feel ya (even tho I did OCR Maths!)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
They should supply us with plasters at the end of the exam, I get 'pen blisters' :mmm:

I get really bad arm cramps sometimes.
Reply 36
Original post by jamestg
Last thing, if you're not doing that great in your GCSE essays - it doesn't mean you'll do badly with your A-level ones!

I was averaging 11 or 12 out of 16 for GCSEs yet my first couple of essays have been getting around 17/20!

oh okay thanks
Reply 37
Original post by jamestg
I feel ya (even tho I did OCR Maths!)

Whats maths like??
Original post by FaithKG
Whats maths like??

A-level maths?
Reply 39
Original post by jamestg
A-level maths?

yeppp:smile: