The Student Room Group

Just watched "The Breakfast Club"

AND I FREAKING LOOOOOOOVEEEE IT!

It's such an awesome movie, omg! It's like a philosophical teenage-y film. What's not to love?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I watched this last week and whilst I found it to be a relatively good movie, I don't think it's essentially "a classic" -shrug-.

Then again I think American Beauty set the bar very high for 'emotional' movies for myself :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Inexorably
I watched this last week and whilst I found it to be a relatively good movie, I don't think it's essentially "a classic" -shrug-.

Then again I think American Beauty set the bar very high for 'emotional' movies for myself :tongue:

It definitely is a classic! 80s movies tend to be good in my experience.

I am yet to watch that.

Edit: After googling "American Beauty" I came to the conclusion that I shall never watch that movie.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by L'absurde

It's such an awesome movie, omg! It's like a philosophical teenage-y film. What's not to love?

Good film, not as good as perks of being a wallflower however.
Reply 4
Original post by jamestg
Good film, not as good as perks of being a wallflower however.

Ah that was good as well, but the breakfast club beats it in my opinion.
Did it feature any yummy breakfast? :ahee:

Someone recommended this to me but I never watched it.
Reply 6
Ah that was good as well, but the breakfast club beats it in my opinion.

Nah those kind of movies are for those that wear Tweenies PJs.

I watch movies like Beasts of No Nation.:teeth:

Now that's a movie!
Reply 7
Original post by Oh ooo
Nah those kind of movies are for those that wear Tweenies PJs.

I watch movies like Beasts of No Nation.:teeth:

Now that's a movie!

You hurt my feelings! *sobs*

What's wrong with Tweenies PJs?
Reply 8
Original post by RainbowKiwi
Did it feature any yummy breakfast? :ahee:

Someone recommended this to me but I never watched it.

Watch it then you'll see!
Reply 9
It definitely is a classic! 80s movies tend to be good in my experience.

I am yet to watch that.

Edit: After googling "American Beauty" I came to the conclusion that I shall never watch that movie.

Why would you not...American Beauty is brilliant. I'd probably think of The Breakfast Club as "classic" but not a masterpiece or anything.
...someone has to.

Reply 11
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Why would you not...American Beauty is brilliant. I'd probably think of The Breakfast Club as "classic" but not a masterpiece or anything.

Meh, it doesn't seem like something I'd like.

What would you consider a masterpiece?
Reply 12
Meh, it doesn't seem like something I'd like.

What would you consider a masterpiece?

I suppose it sounds quite generic/standard on the face of it, another American white male, father in a nuclear family, having a mid-life crisis...it's better than it sounds. :colondollar:

Lol I don't really know, it seems quite hyperbolic a term for most movies I can think of. I guess I would class American Beauty as one; maybe The Dark Knight although this is surely a controversial choice and more about personal preference. Amelie and The King's Speech come to mind also...maybe some Tarantino like Pulp Fiction; though his films don't exactly have a "message" or "point" they are wonderfully constructed. There are stereotypical ones like Godfather I and II and Schindler's List but I never got into those films. I guess there's a lot of subjectivity here.

edit: lol I forgot Pixar. So much Pixar
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I suppose it sounds quite generic/standard on the face of it, another American white male, father in a nuclear family, having a mid-life crisis...it's better than it sounds. :colondollar:

Lol I don't really know, it seems quite hyperbolic a term for most movies I can think of. I guess I would class American Beauty as one; maybe The Dark Knight although this is surely a controversial choice and more about personal preference. Amelie and The King's Speech come to mind also...maybe some Tarantino like Pulp Fiction; though his films don't exactly have a "message" or "point" they are wonderfully constructed. There are stereotypical ones like Godfather I and II and Schindler's List but I never got into those films. I guess there's a lot of subjectivity here.

I'll watch it sometime just to see if you're right. You better be! :tongue:

I watched Pulp Fiction, it's an interesting film, quite good actually. Have you watched Silence of the Lambs?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
I'll watch it sometime just to see if you're right. You better be! :tongue:

I watched Pul Fiction, it's an interesting film, quite good actually. Have you watched Silence of the Lambs?

I think it may be a little bit of a marmite film (well more love vs "meh" rather than love vs hate) so I'm not promising anything per se... :colonhash:

Much of Tarantino is great but that's probably my favourite. The key is great dialogue I think; so many films just dress up a mediocre script to no real end. Yeah I have seen it and I considered mentioning it in my last post actually. I don't usually enjoy anything that can be construed as "horror" but I guess it's more in the vein of "psychological thriller". Perhaps Hopkins is a bit "supervillainy" but it's still a brilliant character and a super suspenseful and interesting film in general.
Reply 15
I think it may be a little bit of a marmite film (well more love vs "meh" rather than love vs hate) so I'm not promising anything per se... :colonhash:

Much of Tarantino is great but that's probably my favourite. The key is great dialogue I think; so many films just dress up a mediocre script to no real end. Yeah I have seen it and I considered mentioning it in my last post actually. I don't usually enjoy anything that can be construed as "horror" but I guess it's more in the vein of "psychological thriller". Perhaps Hopkins is a bit "supervillainy" but it's still a brilliant character and a super suspenseful and interesting film in general.

That's true. Silence of the Lambs is one my all-time faves!
Have you watched A simple plan?
Original post by Inexorably

It's extremely classic. John Hughes was an amazing film maker. American Beauty is an incredible film too btw :smile:

You should watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off next (if you haven't already).
Reply 17
Original post by Democracy

It's on Netflix, I'll try to watch it soon. :smile:
It's on Netflix, I'll try to watch it soon. :smile:

It's also by John Hughes. Very much another classic "philosophical teenage-y" film :smile:
Original post by Democracy

This scene is gold :adore:

[video="youtube;RaIjYvIayj0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaIjYvIayj0[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest