The Student Room Group

ANKI flashcards + maths degree, advice please

Hi

I am in my third year of a maths degree and want to do well this year, of course

Ive used ANkI in the past and I figure if I am to use it this year, its best to start early

Do you think it would work with a maths degree?

A maths degree isnt particularly fact or picture orientated and tye idea isnt memorisation

But perhaps it would be good for key definitions of underlying concepts.

Do you think this would be a good use of my time?

Really appreciate any help guys :-)
Original post by number23
Hi

I am in my third year of a maths degree and want to do well this year, of course

Ive used ANkI in the past and I figure if I am to use it this year, its best to start early

A maths degree isnt particularly fact or picture orientated and tye idea isnt memorisation

Maybe write questions on them like 'prove this theorem or that theorem' and on the back have good hints on how to go about it? And definitions too if they pop up.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Maybe write questions on them like 'prove this theorem or that theorem' and on the back have good hints on how to go about it? And definitions too if they pop up.

Thanks good idea.
Hi

Since maths uses a lot of symbols I think traditional flash cards would do .However for facts ,definitions ,explanations you could most definitely use it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by NellyMelly
Since maths uses a lot of symbols I think traditional flash cards would do .However for facts ,definitions ,explanations you could most definitely use it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, well what ive started to do, on my ipad... Is search for defintions or find on lecture notes, 'print screen' them, then put them in on the anki App

I think it could be a good way to get it all in my long term memory, but for maths the key thing i think is practicing questions
I don't do maths, but perhaps write out notes in anki (nice because it's far easier to write notes on a computer, and you could just change them.)

In a separate deck, include all the past paper questions/questions you can get your hand on. Then keep doing them (understanding the theory behind them at the same time.) Then you just revisit what you went wrong in PPQs, and you learn the correct way to do it. :smile:

edit: also remember, even after you've reviewed them, go back to the deck to see if any cards are due (I always forget to do this. :angry:) So perhaps set a specific time (and be disciplined) and check for any cards due, biweekly etc. etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Ive been trying the method for over a terms and its pretty good
I use for worked solutions, by 'blanking out' important parts of the proof and trying to recall them

Also, for definitions I will blank out like a very important word or equations in the statement

I think its made me feel pretty on top of the course
Reply 7
Original post by XcitingStuart
I don't do maths, but perhaps write out notes in anki (nice because it's far easier to write notes on a computer, and you could just change them.)

In a separate deck, include all the past paper questions/questions you can get your hand on. Then keep doing them (understanding the theory behind them at the same time.) Then you just revisit what you went wrong in PPQs, and you learn the correct way to do it. :smile:

edit: also remember, even after you've reviewed them, go back to the deck to see if any cards are due (I always forget to do this. :angry:) So perhaps set a specific time (and be disciplined) and check for any cards due, biweekly etc. etc.

Thanks. Ive been using the method daily for this term
How many enw cards do you tend to put in a day?

So for the past paper method, you have the question as front card, and the answer as a back card? Obviosuly i cant recall a whole solution, so do you just work at it separetly and check you have the main points in the answer? It seems like a pretty good method actually.. Promping you to attempt questions

I usually just do the cards for that day
Thanks. Ive been using the method daily for this term
How many enw cards do you tend to put in a day?

So for the past paper method, you have the question as front card, and the answer as a back card? Obviosuly i cant recall a whole solution, so do you just work at it separetly and check you have the main points in the answer? It seems like a pretty good method actually.. Promping you to attempt questions

I usually just do the cards for that day

As I don't do maths, I can't really say. :tongue:

But for biology and chemistry at the moment, I put the entire question on the front then do the answers on the back.

Mind, as not every year they include all the necessary information, it is good to make notes from the past papers, and then merge them with notes from other questions / use your booklets to see what you need to add.

I presume if in maths it only shows the final answer, you'd need to work the solution on paper (well you'd need to do the question anyway, and recalling it on paper solidifies it / it's easier to do).

About the amount of cards, it just feels like how much I can do in that session of revision, if you know you can't do all the 20 questions e.g. if they're really big and you need to keep revisiting them, just leave them as they be, but e.g. 20 cards in a language deck is too low for me.

Quick Reply

Latest