The Student Room Group

9s or nothing | Year 11 Blog

Background information:
I'm going into Year 11, I'm state school taught and I"m aiming for all 9s.

This blog will be a record of everything I do to get there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good Luck! :smile:
Currently preparing my resources for GCSE revision. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Aloysius O'Hare
Background information:

Good luck and wish you all the best again!
Background information:

Hey! I sat my GCSEs at a state school last year and came out with all 9s! Good luck and if you need any advice, pls ask!
(edited 8 months ago)
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by amelia05xo
Hey! I sat my GCSEs at a state school last year and came out with all 9s! Good luck and if you need any advice, pls ask!

Hiya,

What would you do for English language? I take lit and lang aqa. If you did aqa how would you do English Lang paper 2 with the comparison questions along with taking stuff from the extract? If you didnt do aqa it's alright 👍 just ignore
If you don't do AQA, do you by any chance do Eduqas
Or... Edexcel?
Creating more google sheet templates for my flashcards today.
Reply 10
Creating more google sheet templates for my flashcards today.

can i ask why you are making a google sheet template for flashcards? usually you just make them physically/digitally in quizlet or anki
please reply me
Original post by Alm_xo
can i ask why you are making a google sheet template for flashcards? usually you just make them physically/digitally in quizlet or anki
please reply me

I primarily use Anki, however, I find that creating them on google sheets allows me to have a better overview of the entire topic and allows me to check if I'm missing any potential flashcards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSVKQCcnJuM&t=503s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TYvqfTnqM0
Original post by Trickia
Hiya,

What would you do for English language? I take lit and lang aqa. If you did aqa how would you do English Lang paper 2 with the comparison questions along with taking stuff from the extract? If you didnt do aqa it's alright 👍 just ignore

English Lang GCSE is all about the methods the writer uses. And this goes beyond similes, metaphors and all the other basics. I suggest writing a list of methods, including some more unusual ones, eg: assonance, irony, pathetic fallacy etc…. And make sure you know what they all are and are able to pick them out in a text. However, knowing them is only one step. You must also know the impact they have on the reader and why the writer is employing them in the text. I know some teachers don’t say to remember a paragraph structure however I do believe (and I still do this in Alevel lit) that following one loosely is beneficial. Point Evidence Analyse(writer included) Reader and then link it to the other text. Hope this helps x
Reply 13
English Lang GCSE is all about the methods the writer uses. And this goes beyond similes, metaphors and all the other basics. I suggest writing a list of methods, including some more unusual ones, eg: assonance, irony, pathetic fallacy etc…. And make sure you know what they all are and are able to pick them out in a text. However, knowing them is only one step. You must also know the impact they have on the reader and why the writer is employing them in the text. I know some teachers don’t say to remember a paragraph structure however I do believe (and I still do this in Alevel lit) that following one loosely is beneficial. Point Evidence Analyse(writer included) Reader and then link it to the other text. Hope this helps x

Tysm xx
The comparing sources was a huge weak point for me. I would always score badly in the big mark questions except number 5😅
Original post by Trickia
Tysm xx
The comparing sources was a huge weak point for me. I would always score badly in the big mark questions except number 5😅

If I’m being honest that what most people find the hardest. I really hated it. I’d also suggest watching mr salles on YouTube, he saved my GCSEs
It's time to finish the google sheet templates (shouldn't take too long).
Reply 16
Eduqas Route B RS

Someone please help me , my school does the eduqas route b for religious studies , absoluetly no guides i need an A star please guide me
Reply 17
If I’m being honest that what most people find the hardest. I really hated it. I’d also suggest watching mr salles on YouTube, he saved my GCSEs

Yea I watch him along with others e.g Mr bruff, gcse English podcast and Stacy smth
I've spent a few more hours on study techniques today, and I think my final system will be as follows:

Use the specification as a checklist.
Skim over the content.
Read through it again.
5 minute break.
Summarise all points as google sheets flashcards.
Repeat with a different resource (youtube, other notes, etc).
Keep on repeating until my google sheets flashcards are of a sufficient quality.
Import flashcards to Anki and complete any that are due.
When reviewing Anki flashcards, try to actively think what the answer could be.
After the majority of flashcards are good or easy, blurt out a mind map on the topic, attempting to link as many concepts as possible.
Practice topic questions on Physics and Maths Tutor.
(edited 8 months ago)
I've spent a few more hours on study techniques today, and I think my final system will be as follows:

Use the specification as a checklist for what you need to cover.
Skim over the content.
Read through it again.
5 minute break.
Summarise all points as google sheets flashcards.
Repeat with a different resource (youtube, other notes, etc).
Keep on repeating until your google sheets flashcards are of a sufficient quality.
Import flashcards to Anki and complete any that are due.
When reviewing Anki flashcards, try to actively think what the answer could be.
After the majority of flashcards are good or easy, blurt out a mind map on the topic, attempting to link as many concepts as possible.
Practice topic questions on Physics and Maths Tutor.

I think this system is really good so hopefully it goes well for you. I'm keeping up with this thread and your determination is great to see.
I want to ask if there's an actual google sheets flashcards application or do you just mean making notes and then copy pasting all that onto Anki? If there is an application, how do you import onto Anki?

Quick Reply

Latest