The Student Room Group

How do you pronounce "Meme"?

Scroll to see replies

I pronounce it as if it rhymes with theme.

You'd never make it on English stack exchange.
(edited 8 years ago)
I pronounce it as 'mem'

Posted from TSR Mobile
You pronounce it so it would rhyme with cream, so "meem"
Reply 23
meem
Original post by jeremy1988
Meme comes from Greek, not French. If it were a French loanword, you would have been correct. To be specific, it's based on part of a Greek word, but it was coined by a British biologist named Richard Dawkins, so it uses English phonetic conventions.

Loanwords retaining the original spelling is part of why English pronunciation is a mess. Many other languages would have just localised a word like Jalapeno into Halapinyo or something. As things stand, you have to be able to identify a word's origin and know the phonetic conventions of the original language to be able to pronounce half the words in the dictionary properly. At the very least, you need a rudimentary ability to pronounce things in French and Spanish for the great majority of loanwords. Greek and Latin come up frequently as well, but because our Alphabet is Roman, that's not as much of a stretch.

And because we don't have the same letters in our alphabet, it makes it worse. Jalapeño as opposed to jalapeno.

@OP
The 'e' at the end of 'meme' means that you pronounce the first 'e' as how you'd say the letter when you recite the alphabet: 'ee', rendering the second 'e' silent.
:undefined:erm

What's wrong with knowing about etymology?
There's a structural irony attaching to the prescriptivism here "it should be pronounced to rhyme with cream".
Uhh I think 'me me' but I've never actually had to say the word.
Emem?
.م
(edited 8 years ago)
i guess the pronunciation has ermm

Spoiler

:getmecoat:
م :bigsmile:
Meem :smile:
"mem - ay"

To be honest "meem" sounds a bit weird to me.
Original post by jeremy1988
Meme comes from Greek, not French. If it were a French loanword, you would have been correct. To be specific, it's based on part of a Greek word, but it was coined by a British biologist named Richard Dawkins, so it uses English phonetic conventions.

Loanwords retaining the original spelling is part of why English pronunciation is a mess. Many other languages would have just localised a word like Jalapeno into Halapinyo or something. As things stand, you have to be able to identify a word's origin and know the phonetic conventions of the original language to be able to pronounce half the words in the dictionary properly. At the very least, you need a rudimentary ability to pronounce things in French and Spanish for the great majority of loanwords. Greek and Latin come up frequently as well, but because our Alphabet is Roman, that's not as much of a stretch.

Good post. The whole thing stems from a desire by the British to appear sophisticated and cultured, an idea which likely held value in times past but not so much now :lol:
It rhymes with cream

Anyone who says may-may is a jackass

The word was coined by Dawkins to denote a set of behaviours or ideas which are passed on and either selected for or against in the same way gene variants are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Meem
m-e-m
It's pronounced like "cream" minus the 'cr' and plus the 'm'; so, "meem".
Original post by zyzzyspirit
Did you actually use the word meme in real life?

This :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest