The Student Room Group

How many is too many?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by brainzistheword
What did you take? And what grades did you get if you don't mind me asking.

I did maths, fm, physics and computing at AS; last week I had to drop physics because the workload was too much.

Got an A in comp, B in maths and D in physics - the way my college does the FM means I sat all six units for A2 maths last year and do the same for FM this year.
Reply 41
WOW! You're doing loads! What do you plan to do, in terms of job or uni course? And if you don't mind me asking, what did you get at GCSE?

Thank you

I'm planning to do Physics at university; I applied this month.

At GCSE I got 5 A*s, 3 As, and 2 Bs. There is one other person at my school doing 5 A-levels. She got the same AS results as me, and I think she got a few more A*s at GCSE. :smile:
Original post by Andy98
I did maths, fm, physics and computing at AS; last week I had to drop physics because the workload was too much.

Got an A in comp, B in maths and D in physics - the way my college does the FM means I sat all six units for A2 maths last year and do the same for FM this year.

Ah right thanks for that. If I go to one of my college options then they do the maths and further maths in the same way you did.
Reply 43
Ah right thanks for that. If I go to one of my college options then they do the maths and further maths in the same way you did.

And that way is a lot of work
Original post by ombtom
I'm planning to do Physics at university; I applied this month.

At GCSE I got 5 A*s, 3 As, and 2 Bs. There is one other person at my school doing 5 A-levels. She got the same AS results as me, and I think she got a few more A*s at GCSE. :smile:

Well done for those grades and I plan to go to university for Physics too if I can get through college :wink:. It's not common round where I live to take more than 3 A levels but they do allow it.
Original post by Andy98
And that way is a lot of work

Oh, is it just that it is fast paced or lots of homework - or both?
Reply 46
Oh, is it just that it is fast paced or lots of homework - or both?

Both at my college
Original post by Andy98
Both at my college

Ah well I will take it into consideration, thanks for mentioning it.
Reply 48
Ah well I will take it into consideration, thanks for mentioning it.

No problem
Reply 49
Well done for those grades and I plan to go to university for Physics too if I can get through college :wink:. It's not common round where I live to take more than 3 A levels but they do allow it.

What universities are you considering? Doing 5 A-levels in itself won't benefit you when applying, but standing out relative to your area might.

+ I don't think "my school doesn't allow it" should be a valid excuse for anyone. :tongue:
I'm currently doing maths, fm, chem, physics and german (and general studies bc its compulsory at my school). It's tough. I have 1.5 hours free periods a week, while most of my friends have 5-10 hours of frees. Chem and physics are the new a levels, but thankfully the others are still modular (but I think maths and I'm assuming fm will be linear too). When I started them, I hoped I would continue with all 5 for A2. I now can't wait to drop german in the summer- I'm finding it dull and I would much rather have more time to spend on my other subjects!! There is A LOT more work at a level than at gcse - everyone told me that last year but I've only just realised they were telling the truth... I think a lot of people start a levels liking all of their subjects, but be warned that a levels are very different from gcse, so you may end up loving / hating subjects you previosuly hated / loved. Basically 5 a levels is really tough, but with the right motivation just about do-able. Saying that, I would recommend dropping 1 at the end of y12 and concentrating on 3 (and fm) :smile:
Original post by ombtom
What universities are you considering? Doing 5 A-levels in itself won't benefit you when applying, but standing out relative to your area might.

+ I don't think "my school doesn't allow it" should be a valid excuse for anyone. :tongue:

I haven't necessarily looked at specific places yet, but Oxford, Cambridge Durham and Sheffield would be a dream come true. I know it's not going to help by doing more, like Oxford only consider 3, but looking at the college I want to go to, only 1 person last year left with 5 A levels.
Original post by ifyouseelaura
I'm currently doing maths, fm, chem, physics and german (and general studies bc its compulsory at my school). It's tough. I have 1.5 hours free periods a week, while most of my friends have 5-10 hours of frees. Chem and physics are the new a levels, but thankfully the others are still modular (but I think maths and I'm assuming fm will be linear too). When I started them, I hoped I would continue with all 5 for A2. I now can't wait to drop german in the summer- I'm finding it dull and I would much rather have more time to spend on my other subjects!! There is A LOT more work at a level than at gcse - everyone told me that last year but I've only just realised they were telling the truth... I think a lot of people start a levels liking all of their subjects, but be warned that a levels are very different from gcse, so you may end up loving / hating subjects you previosuly hated / loved. Basically 5 a levels is really tough, but with the right motivation just about do-able. Saying that, I would recommend dropping 1 at the end of y12 and concentrating on 3 (and fm) :smile:

Yes, if I took German then I would probably drop it because I know how difficult the grammar can get (that damn word order!) and I really must find out more about these new changes, although I don't think most of my teachers would be able to tell me. :smile:
Original post by morgan8002
It depends on you, but I'd say chemistry. It's all subjective anyway.
edit: By "all" I mean the argument of which one is harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also think Chemistry is the hardest. Just cause it seems to pull on so many skills.
Original post by Icicle Man
Posted from TSR Mobile

Also think Chemistry is the hardest. Just cause it seems to pull on so many skills.

What did you take at A level, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 55
I haven't necessarily looked at specific places yet, but Oxford, Cambridge Durham and Sheffield would be a dream come true. I know it's not going to help by doing more, like Oxford only consider 3, but looking at the college I want to go to, only 1 person last year left with 5 A levels.

I have applied to Oxford and Durham. If you're serious about Oxford, then make sure that you familiarise yourself with the PAT as soon as possible.
Original post by ombtom
I have applied to Oxford and Durham. If you're serious about Oxford, then make sure that you familiarise yourself with the PAT as soon as possible.

Oh I'm honestly not familiar with anything to do with universities and my high school has never had anyone go to a Russell Group Uni so they aren't really ones for talking about it + I don't think they are letting us think that far ahead yet, but I am :P
Reply 57
To be honest, with the A levels you're thinking of choosing, 5 will probably be too much. I'm in A2 now and I took 5 AS levels, including Physics and Physics takes up a lot of time. There is a big step from GCSE to AS physics which requires lots of time and effort to understand the new concepts. I've also heard from others who do Chemistry that again there is.a big step up from GCSE.
Original post by NT226
To be honest, with the A levels you're thinking of choosing, 5 will probably be too much. I'm in A2 now and I took 5 AS levels, including Physics and Physics takes up a lot of time. There is a big step from GCSE to AS physics which requires lots of time and effort to understand the new concepts. I've also heard from others who do Chemistry that again there is.a big step up from GCSE.

Yes I overheard one of my teachers saying that chemistry especially is a big step up from GCSE, but at the time she was talking to a group who didn't want to study the subjects in the first place, so I wasn't sure whether she was humouring them.
What did you take at A level, if you don't mind me asking?

Maths, F.Maths, Chem, Phys + some extra FM modules (s3 +s4)

Quick Reply

Latest