The Student Room Group

Further Reading Suggestions

Can anyone recommend a good physics book? Something like 'How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog' and 'Warped Passages'.

I particularly like special relativity and particle physics, but I'd like other suggestions too. :smile:
Reply 1
Have you ever gone to any lectures or schemes that are physics related. Might be good to go to a few of those too.
Original post by ombtom
Can anyone recommend a good physics book? Something like 'How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog' and 'Warped Passages'.

I particularly like special relativity and particle physics, but I'd like other suggestions too. :smile:

I would strongly suggest reading the Theoretical Concepts in Physics. It's not an academic book to be used as a substitute for conventional textbooks but, instead, it illuminates the transition between classical and modern Physics. I have a link to the PDF version of the book but I'm not allowed to post it on here as there are copyright issues.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by aamirac
Have you ever gone to any lectures or schemes that are physics related. Might be good to go to a few of those too.

I'm looking into it. :smile:

Original post by Mehrdad jafari
I would strongly suggest reading the Theoretical Concepts in Physics. It's not an academic book to be used as a substitute for conventional textbooks but, instead, it illuminates the transition between classical and modern Physics. I have a link to the PDF version of the book but I'm not allowed to post it on here as there are copyright issues.

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by ombtom
I'm looking into it. :smile:

Thank you. :smile:

No worries! You could see the contents of the book here. :smile:
17 equations that changed the world. It's a really good book if you prefer the maths side of physics. It is suitable for all abilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ombtom

university physics by hd young-This book is considered to one the best textbook for freshman(Uni first year) studying physics. Its very good and it also covers SR and QT.

Time Traveller by Ronald L Mallet

Introduction to Classical Mechanics-David Morin
This maybe a bit tough(some problems are **** tough) for you but it has some excellent set of problems in Special Relativity

General books are nice but at some point youll get bored so it might be worth checking few of the books above.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Duke Glacia
university physics by hd young-This book is considered to one the best textbook for freshman(Uni first year) studying physics. Its very good and it also covers SR and QT.

Time Traveller by Ronald L Mallet

Introduction to Classical Mechanics-David Morin
This maybe a bit tough(some problems are **** tough) for you but it has some excellent set of problems in Special Relativity

General books are nice but at some point youll get bored so it might be worth checking few of the books above.

David Morin's book is really tough. But it's been suggested by so many on physicsstackexchange! What level is it been in terms of Edexcel modules( e.g. M2-M3?)
Original post by Marxist
David Morin's book is really tough. But it's been suggested by so many on physicsstackexchange! What level is it been in terms of Edexcel modules( e.g. M2-M3?)

it includes everthing M1-M5
yup it very tough but interesting.
Reply 9

That's quite good actually. I thought it would limited to only a few modules!
Original post by Marxist
That's quite good actually. I thought it would limited to only a few modules!

it actually covers more such as special relativity general relativity. Lagrangians,gyroscopic motionetc
but there is a easier book wrtitten by David Morin.(forgot the title tho)
it actually covers more such as special relativity general relativity. Lagrangians,gyroscopic motionetc
but there is a easier book wrtitten by David Morin.(forgot the title tho)

Intro to Mechanics?
Reply 12

Just looking at the preview on Amazon has helped me with M5. Does it go far into university-level physics? :biggrin:
Original post by ombtom
Just looking at the preview on Amazon has helped me with M5. Does it go far into university-level physics? :biggrin:

yh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending