The Student Room Group

What would you do with £3,000 in savings?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by small.littlefish
Yeah I know, that's why I wanted to do an MA. Most people my age with decent jobs have an MA in a similar field, a BA degree especially in Sociology is pretty rubbish.

I'd agree it is a competitive market. MA would at least offer you more prospects.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
What kinds of jobs have you been looking at? Ever tried applying to charities or the government?

I applied to pretty much anything after graduation, I want a job in charity ideally I did have a few interviews which I screwed up and after 6-12 months I thought I'd give up trying and try my best to pay for a Master's degree but it's so hard saving on minimum wage, I've been living off pretty much nothing for months and months, so depressing! :smile:

I might just try to find an internship in UK/volunteer abroad and save the rest to try to find a decent job again :/
Original post by DiddyDec
Blow it on coke and hookers.

I'm a girl.

Everyone knows girls don't drink coke.
How about pepsi and hookers?
Buy an icecream.
Original post by Bill_Gates
I'd agree it is a competitive market. MA would at least offer you more prospects.

That's what I thought, I was really happy when I got into Durham as it's a good university and I never thought I'd get accepted (may have something to do with them wanting my money though :tongue:). But I really want to do my MA abroad (Sweden/Netherlands etc.) because they have good uni's and it make's me stand out a bit as well.

Oh well, I really just want to move from my current dead end city (!) and work for something other than minimum wage! I think even if I can't manage an internship, if I volunteer abroad for a while I'll feel better about looking for a job again, as being stuck in this rut with no break is so demotivating and I don't really have many options :frown:
That's what I thought, I was really happy when I got into Durham as it's a good university and I never thought I'd get accepted (may have something to do with them wanting my money though :tongue:). But I really want to do my MA abroad (Sweden/Netherlands etc.) because they have good uni's and it make's me stand out a bit as well.

Oh well, I really just want to move from my current dead end city (!) and work for something other than minimum wage! I think even if I can't manage an internship, if I volunteer abroad for a while I'll feel better about looking for a job again, as being stuck in this rut with no break is so demotivating and I don't really have many options :frown:

Hmm seems like a fair plan. What city are you currently in? It's not much better any where else tbh. If you move to London you'll be hit with a higher cost of living and even less savings.
I applied to pretty much anything after graduation, I want a job in charity ideally I did have a few interviews which I screwed up and after 6-12 months I thought I'd give up trying and try my best to pay for a Master's degree but it's so hard saving on minimum wage, I've been living off pretty much nothing for months and months, so depressing! :smile:

I might just try to find an internship in UK/volunteer abroad and save the rest to try to find a decent job again :/
Ouch, that hurts!

I think an internship in the UK would really help you, especially if it helps you get one foot into an industry, but volunteering/interning overseas is pretty much a huge gamble and another gold sink since a lot of these overseas internships do not reimburse expenses - plus you won't be earning anything for a year.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Hmm seems like a fair plan. What city are you currently in? It's not much better any where else tbh. If you move to London you'll be hit with a higher cost of living and even less savings.

I live in a small Northern city. It's pretty cheap to live in which is good, but most friend's have left now, so it's pretty boring. I don't think I'd move to London unless it was temporary i.e. internship or god willing a great paying job :tongue:. Thanks for your help anyway!
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Ouch, that hurts!

I think an internship in the UK would really help you, especially if it helps you get one foot into an industry, but volunteering/interning overseas is pretty much a huge gamble and another gold sink since a lot of these overseas internships do not reimburse expenses - plus you won't be earning anything for a year.

I'm looking for internships now, but almost all are science/IT/marketing nothing in say, government or charities so I might not have much luck.

I think I need a break, since graduation I've been worrying, planning etc. what to do next so even volunteering away for a few weeks might help!
Original post by scotttb
Everyone knows girls don't drink coke.
How about pepsi and hookers?

No, girls like diet coke. Coke is well known to help you slim down.
He'd probably be up for it to be fair...Haha!

Everybody wins.
I actually LOVE diet coke!
Reply 32
I would put £500 in here to get the £50 bonus. Personally, I would keep it in the monthly lending as your circumstances are such that you could need relatively short notice access. A 10% return for 30 days is as good as you will see anywhere. I've been using them for a couple of years for a part of our savings (I've got about £3k in here at the minute getting between 3.1% and 4%). We've never lost a penny, nor has anyone else using the site but obviously do some research of your own and don't take the word of a stranger on a forum.
Disclosure, I would also get £50 if you put the £500 in here as a referral fee.
http://link.ratesetter.com/92phs9m

I would stay away from stocks and shares as you don't mention long term growth being a priority. Your lack of alternative cash could also mean you're forced to sell at an inopportune time in the market.

There's a savings account that firstdirect do which offers 6% if you set up a regular deposit (direct debit) of up to £300 per month. Its tied in for 12 months but that's probably the best rate on the market at the moment.
You need a current account with them though (welcome bonus of £125 if you meet the criteria). I think you have to pay £10 per month if you cant pay £1,000 per month into the current account though so watch out for that.

Give this a good read too, Martin normally gives a pretty good overview of the market.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest

Quick Reply

Latest