The Student Room Group

Scheduled to get much reduced maintenance loan payments after LOA

I'll try and breakdown this convoluted explanation as best I can.

I am technically a second year student nurse, but decided on a leave of absence at the end of May for mental health reasons, with the intention of returning in September and repeating the year. My uni told me I didn't need to do anything, that they would inform SFE and the NHSLSF.

Maybe because of the timing or the 60-day grace period for funding, I ended up receiving my June maintenance payment, and I suspect this might be why there is now an issue with the 2023 payments. A few days after receiving that June payment, I received a 'Recovery of Grant and Loan Overpayment Letter', which stated I had been overpaid by about £3,000. I didn't think much of it at the time, because I had been assured by the university that taking a leave of absence when I did, and specifically for health reasons, would mean my finances would remain mostly unchanged, and that they would be sorting that side of things for me.

I got an email yesterday to say my applications for 2023 loans had been approved, but when I checked today, I notice I'm slated to only receive £7,921 instead of the 11k I got this year and the year before.

Is this because I received that last payment in June? If so, then what the hell is the point of the 60 days of extra funding?! Or maybe it's because they think this is now my final year??

Something interesting to note is that they cancelled my tuition fee in plenty of time, but not the maintenance loan, and now they want to claim it back. Just feels very underhanded to me.

I'm hoping there's a fix, because I cannot live off £2,600 every four months. I've tried to get back into work the last few weeks, but I'm still not back to where I was yet, I certainly couldn't cope with upping my hours AND doing coursework and placements, just to make up the difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending