The Student Room Group

Procrastination help

I always procrastinate my work. I don't mean to, it just sort of happens. I know that obviously it's my own fault but it feels like time goes so fast and I physically can't do anything. Right now, I have two overdue essays to write and 3,000 words left of an NEA that's due tomorrow but I'm procrastinating by writing this. I've had multiple panic attacks and at this point if I even think about my NEA I cry a bit.

Are there any techniques or anything that can help? I know that I should just try harder but I can't.
Original post by Dave885
I always procrastinate my work. I don't mean to, it just sort of happens. I know that obviously it's my own fault but it feels like time goes so fast and I physically can't do anything. Right now, I have two overdue essays to write and 3,000 words left of an NEA that's due tomorrow but I'm procrastinating by writing this. I've had multiple panic attacks and at this point if I even think about my NEA I cry a bit.

Are there any techniques or anything that can help? I know that I should just try harder but I can't.

I try to structure my essays to get me writing. It helps me fill in 'gaps'/'blanks'.

On the other hand, there's also a writing technique that I picked up after watching Finding Forrester (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finding_Forrester), a film about a writer trying to find himself and the writer mentoring a protoge:
Write everything out as your mind dictates it. Afterwards, rewrite everything with a critical mind
In other words, it's very difficult to write and edit at the same time. It's a lot easier if you get everything down on paper first, then edit what needs editing. Don't let the critic kill the writer before the pen even touches the paper.
Even profesional writers don't write everything perfectly the first time round; they go through draft after draft. Thinking that you can do this yourself is a bit ambitious.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I try to structure my essays to get me writing. It helps me fill in 'gaps'/'blanks'.

On the other hand, there's also a writing technique that I picked up after watching Finding Forrester (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finding_Forrester), a film about a writer trying to find himself and the writer mentoring a protoge:
Write everything out as your mind dictates it. Afterwards, rewrite everything with a critical mind
In other words, it's very difficult to write and edit at the same time. It's a lot easier if you get everything down on paper first, then edit what needs editing. Don't let the critic kill the writer before the pen even touches the paper.
Even profesional writers don't write everything perfectly the first time round; they go through draft after draft. Thinking that you can do this yourself is a bit ambitious.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest