The Student Room Group

Why do people drink alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maria G Agnesi
I could really never imagine myself drinking it.

How many times have you been in a situation where alcohol was offered to you?
Original post by United1892
Cos being drunk is a good feeling. You should try it.

Original post by ILovePancakes
I love being drunk :awesome:

Hmm.

I don't think I really need to get drunk. I can feel relaxed/happy, laugh and do all the things drunk people do... without the alcohol. :tongue:
Hmm.

I don't think I really need to get drunk. I can feel relaxed/happy, laugh and do all the things drunk people do... without the alcohol. :tongue:

There is a difference between needing to do something and enjoying it.

Hell, I might even argue the two are mutually exclusive.
To be honest, as bad as it sounds, I drink on a night out to help me to relax and gain confidence. I also like how giggly it makes me and I like that spaced out feeling if that makes sense. I only drink every few months though, and don't binge or anything. I do like the taste of it, depending on what it is, for example, Malibu and Coke x
Original post by SCIENCE :D
To get a way from reality for a little while?

Isn't that quite a depressing thought?

Also, it's easy to 'forget about your problems' while you're drunk, but what about afterwards when you are no longer drunk... and actually have to face reality?

It's quite a difficult thing to get across really, but I truly cannot see any logical or rational advantage to drinking alcohol. :mmm:
Reply 25
they do it because they want to. Perhaps the question should be "why" do they want to... usually its to fit in to a particular "culture". Never did anything for me....
Original post by zyzzyspirit
How many times have you been in a situation where alcohol was offered to you?

If I was ever offered alcohol, I refused it. Obviously.

Drinking is really no different to smoking in my opinion. (They are obviously very different things, but I don't really see them as being that different.)
Reply 27
The plan was to drink until the pains over. But whats worse? The pain or the hangover?

1. i need to eat
2. i (definitely) enjoy eating
3. therefore not mutually exclusive

QED

Mmm. I can't really think of a better way of describing it, other than this:

Suppose 'happiness' is defined as a scale from zero to one, where zero is considered to be the minimum amount of happiness and one as the maximum.

I currently feel like 0.9. Not perfect, but certainly not bad.

What I'm saying is - why bother drinking alcohol only to get that minor increase of 0.1?

Also, you can argue that being happy while drinking alcohol is quite artificial, because you're happy as a result of consuming something that forces you to behave in a particular way (uncontrollably so).

A lot of aspects really. :teehee:
If I was ever offered alcohol, I refused it. Obviously.

Drinking is really no different to smoking in my opinion. (They are obviously very different things, but I don't really see them as being that different.)

So you've never had the opportunity to put your little theory to the test. Go figure.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
1. i need to eat

QED

I liked this. :biggrin:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
1. i need to eat

QED

ty :smile:

Mmm. I can't really think of a better way of describing it, other than this:

Suppose 'happiness' is defined as a scale from zero to one, where zero is considered to be the minimum amount of happiness and one as the maximum.

I currently feel like 0.9. Not perfect, but certainly not bad.

What I'm saying is - why bother drinking alcohol only to get that minor increase of 0.1?

Also, you can argue that being happy while drinking alcohol is quite artificial, because you're happy as a result of consuming something that forces you to behave in a particular way (uncontrollably so).

A lot of aspects really. :teehee:

Well some people aren't just that happy. I'm certainly not.

The fake happiness is certainly better than the depression and stress that is my life, so I'll stick to that.
Isn't that quite a depressing thought?

Also, it's easy to 'forget about your problems' while you're drunk, but what about afterwards when you are no longer drunk... and actually have to face reality?

It's quite a difficult thing to get across really, but I truly cannot see any logical or rational advantage to drinking alcohol. :mmm:

Yes it is, but then again aren't most things about society quite depressing if you put enough thought to it. I am not a big drinker myself, but I would understand why someone who was desperate would drink to escape reality.
The major reason is too make you more confident and to lighten up a liitle, something you should probably do... Also the taste aint bad :wink:

My main issue with it is that by consuming large quantities, one loses one's inhibitions and becomes awfully rude. Swearing, shouting and all the rest of it are fairly common consequences. I think it is the most horrendous thing. To be seen shouting or heard using strong language in a public place is the greatest recipe for embarrassment I have ever heard of.

I genuinely dont understand how anyone below the age of ~60 thinks like this. Seems like a very outdated sense of social norms akin to thoughts prior to the 50s/60s.
Original post by 雷尼克
No, there are hardly any risks. People say that you 'go out of control' but you have to consciously want to go out of control and drink substantially for that to happen. It's not like one sip leads to you getting absolutely hammered. And alcohol gives everyone confidence which makes social situations a lot smoother.

Hmm. It's hard to know when people blame alcohol for causing them to do something and when they've made a conscious decision to go out of control.
I think people do blame alcohol, maybe because they think they can get away with it? Probably.

Luckily, I don't need alcohol in that case. I would say that I have no problems talking to my current friends, or even making new ones. Once you get used to meeting new people, it becomes second nature really. Confidence is something you can develop. If I could do it, I'm sure anyone can. :yep:
Cause its a drug that makes you feel abnormally good, which most people consume. So I suppose it would more be a question of, why not? It's not particularly detrimental in moderate amounts, so I see no reason not to. Also just nice to have a change in consciousness I guess - makes you see the world differently and question and see things you wouldn't otherwise. But maybe its just me that tends to ponder when pissed?
Reply 38
Personally I enjoy the taste, experience and being drunk.
Original post by CAElite
I genuinely dont understand how anyone below the age of ~60 thinks like this. Seems like a very outdated sense of social norms akin to thoughts prior to the 50s/60s.

Don't you just feel an internal kind of shiver when you hear strong language? It's not really a shiver, but more like someone just gave you a shock when you weren't really expecting it.

I don't know why I think or feel this way. It just is really. But you're probably right in that my sense of social norms are quite outdated. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest