The Student Room Group

Why do people drink alcohol?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maria G Agnesi
Don't you just feel an internal kind of shiver when you hear strong language? It's not really a shiver, but more like someone just gave you a shock when you weren't really expecting it.

I don't know why I think or feel this way. It just is really. But you're probably right in that my sense of social norms are quite outdated. :colondollar:

Not really, no. I personally enjoy hearing other people swear without genuinly insulting the other person( because they'd both know it's a joke). It gives me the sense that person is being him/herself.
Reply 41
Drinking is as old as the hills. The victorian gin palaces were places for the poor to go and drown their sorrows in. Psychologically, I'd rather a cup of tea and find ways to deal with the wicked world that didn't depend on a substance, but that's me.
Original post by 雷尼克
I respect that but I'm just going to say that since I started drinking I've become a lot more confident and made many new friends... I used to be really awkward and not know anyone at all and the anxiety got to me and made my life quite miserable for a short while, it affects everyone differently but if you want to understand why people do it, that's why. Some people can develop confidence but sometimes its easier just to put your head back and wade in with alcohol.

Naturally, it's your personal choice to drink alcohol, and at least in your case, it has actually resulted in a positive outcome.

I suppose being forced to develop confidence is a bit painful at first, but it gets easier the more you practice (almost like anything else actually).
Don't you just feel an internal kind of shiver when you hear strong language? It's not really a shiver, but more like someone just gave you a shock when you weren't really expecting it.

I don't know why I think or feel this way. It just is really. But you're probably right in that my sense of social norms are quite outdated. :colondollar:

Mmmmm, no not really. Then again where I used to stay folk used "f*ckin" in place of say, a comma in sentences .:biggrin:
Simple answer.... because it's fricking amazing!!!!!

Long answer....

Tbh not many people initially like the taste of alcohol when they first start drinking... unless it's alco pops or some types of cider. But myself.... I really like the taste of a nice cold pint or a cool ale and the social environment of a pub.

However I have no idea why I insist on getting completely slaughtered every so often in rubbish clubs and bars that play music I don't like, that charge me £4+ to get in, only to buy overcharged drinks.

Then again rock bars/clubs, I really like, give me one of those and a drink promotion and I'll get slaughtered, have a laugh, dance, singalong etc..... like I did last night, hangovers are horrific for me though, roughly 3 pints will make me feel flu-ish the next day, 6+ kill me. Or get me on the vodka and I could make drinking a national sport!!!! Also pulling on a night out is never a bad thing! Also while I'm not gay, I actually find gay clubs to be really fun! If you're straight it's great fun of having a night out without that pulling environment.... though I did pull a girl in a gay club once.... but that was because we ended up speaking in the smoking area for like 4-5 hours and both thought why not.
Original post by CAElite
Mmmmm, no not really. Then again where I used to stay folk used "f*ckin" in place of say, a comma in sentences .:biggrin:

Ah, well, that accounts for it. :tongue:

When I hear people swearing, I always think of it as a similar challenge to those who smoke. For example, if a best friend of mine turned out to be a smoker, I would want to encourage them to stop, but I don't want to tell them what to do.

At the same time, I don't really want to tell people what they can and can't say. In fact, I actually think that encouraging people not to swear will have the opposite effect really. Anyway. I wouldn't advocate it. I just think it's a bit much, especially if you want to be polite.
Reply 46
Original post by 雷尼克
I respect that but I'm just going to say that since I started drinking I've become a lot more confident and made many new friends... I used to be really awkward and not know anyone at all and the anxiety got to me and made my life quite miserable for a short while, it affects everyone differently but if you want to understand why people do it, that's why. Some people can develop confidence but sometimes its easier just to put your head back and wade in with alcohol.

just remember anything that's a crutch for something denies you the ability to become stronger without it and hence leads to dependency.
Original post by chantalc
I agree, people that get pissed every weekend for 'fun' are so annoying.

You can drink alcohol and not to get pissed, and not have fun. Those are alcoholics. Not everyone who drinks are alcoholics. Some people might just really like the taste :s-smilie:
Ah, well, that accounts for it. :tongue:

When I hear people swearing, I always think of it as a similar challenge to those who smoke. For example, if a best friend of mine turned out to be a smoker, I would want to encourage them to stop, but I don't want to tell them what to do.

At the same time, I don't really want to tell people what they can and can't say. In fact, I actually think that encouraging people not to swear will have the opposite effect really. Anyway. I wouldn't advocate it. I just think it's a bit much, especially if you want to be polite.

Can confirm. The standard response to being asked not to swear is "F*ck off" :P

But seriously you should get out, try some clubbing. You will never know for sure unless you give it a smash a few times. A few drinks with friends and your views may change (provided you dont take it to excess of course :smile: ).
Original post by DanB1991
Simple answer.... because it's fricking amazing!!!!!

Long answer....

Tbh not many people initially like the taste of alcohol when they first start drinking... unless it's alco pops or some types of cider. But myself.... I really like the taste of a nice cold pint or a cool ale and the social environment of a pub.

However I have no idea why I insist on getting completely slaughtered every so often in rubbish clubs and bars that play music I don't like, that charge me £4+ to get in, only to buy overcharged drinks.

Then again rock bars/clubs, I really like, give me one of those and a drink promotion and I'll get slaughtered, have a laugh, dance, singalong etc..... like I did last night, hangovers are horrific for me though, roughly 3 pints will make me feel flu-ish the next day, 6+ kill me. Or get me on the vodka and I could make drinking a national sport!!!! Also pulling on a night out is never a bad thing! Also while I'm not gay, I actually find gay clubs to be really fun! If you're straight it's great fun of having a night out without that pulling environment.... though I did pull a girl in a gay club once.... but that was because we ended up speaking in the smoking area for like 4-5 hours and both thought why not.

Wtaf
Cause it feels good?

However I dont understand people who get drunk every weekend or students who take out a maintenance loan and then spend most of it on alcohol...
Original post by BigWillow
Wtaf

I honestly don't know today.... I'm a tad hungover!!!

Don't drink kids!!!
Original post by CAElite
I genuinely dont understand how anyone below the age of ~60 thinks like this. Seems like a very outdated sense of social norms akin to thoughts prior to the 50s/60s.

True af, give this man a fish!
Original post by CAElite
Can confirm. The standard response to being asked not to swear is "F*ck off" :P

But seriously you should get out, try some clubbing. You will never know for sure unless you give it a smash a few times. A few drinks with friends and your views may change (provided you dont take it to excess of course :smile: ).

Oh, no. I really couldn't do that. I do not understand why people dance so crazily.

There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort. :mmm:
It depends on the situation, really.
If I'm at a party, a lot of the time I know I'll be waaay more extroverted and confident/fun if I've had a few drinks and do it to have fun.
Sometimes at a meal it's nice to loosen up a little.
Some nights I feel really **** about life and because it makes me a happy drunk (woo!) it makes me feel better.

As long as you know the risks and then equally make good decisions, you're okay.
I know a lot of people who use it with anxiety and depression, when in reality, it can have a sore impact on both. If I'm panicking at a party or have been earlier, I know to avoid alcohol because it might be fun at first, but in a few hours it'll send my anxiety through the roof and that's no fun.
It's also no fun having your liver ****ed up.

But everyone drinks for different reasons - and there's really nothing harmful about a healthy person having a few drinks if they want :smile:
Reply 55
I like the taste, and in moderation it helps see me through the day sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im not in to the drinking culture at all. I'd rather sit down and have a civilised, decent conversation with some body or a few people than try and interact with people who are intoxicated. The so called appeal of it is something i don't understand.
They want to increase their chances of an early death.
There are so many risks and issues associated with it that it really surprises me a lot of people consider drinking alcohol. I could really never imagine myself drinking it. Does anyone else feel the same way?

My main issue with it is that by consuming large quantities, one loses one's inhibitions and becomes awfully rude. Swearing, shouting and all the rest of it are fairly common consequences. I think it is the most horrendous thing. To be seen shouting or heard using strong language in a public place is the greatest recipe for embarrassment I have ever heard of.

Surely I'm not the only one?

I'm drinking a pint of beer right now. Could you outline the risks and issues I am subject to?

If your main issue is with consuming large quantities, why not just not consume large quantities.
Reply 59
I drink because honestly i become a completely different person, i have absolutely 0 worries, i can start conversation with anyone, i become so much less anxious and so sociable. compared to my slightly shy/awkward personality normally around new people. Thats why. I think it comes down to low self confidence, which is sad really.

Quick Reply

Latest