The Student Room Group

French grammar help!

I am really confused on how to use reflexive verbs in the conditional tense. I want to say "I would relax" with the verb "se detendre/se relaxer".It would be great if someone could help as I am at a low grade in French and need to improve!
Original post by lovecinnamon16
I am really confused on how to use reflexive verbs in the conditional tense. I want to say "I would relax" with the verb "se detendre/se relaxer".It would be great if someone could help as I am at a low grade in French and need to improve!

'Je me relaxerais' is the answer. Because it is a simple tense there is no need for an auxiliary verb, just the subject, reflexive pronoun and verb.

You take the future stem of 'relaxer' which is just that, the infinitive, then select the correct imperfect tense ending (in this case, -ais) to create the conditional tense. Add the reflexive pronoun 'me' and you're done :smile:
Original post by lovecinnamon16

Original post by connieiscrazy
'Je me relaxerais' is the answer. Because it is a simple tense there is no need for an auxiliary verb, just the subject, reflexive pronoun and verb.

You take the future stem of 'relaxer' which is just that, the infinitive, then select the correct imperfect tense ending (in this case, -ais) to create the conditional tense. Add the reflexive pronoun 'me' and you're done :smile:

So here's the full set in the conditional:

Je me relaxerais
Tu te relaxerais
Il se relaxerait
Nous nous relaxerions
Vous vous relaxeriez
Ils se relaxeraient

Je me détendrais
Tu te détendrais
Il se détendrait
Nous nous détendrions
Vous vous détendriez