The Student Room Group

A-level Arabic

Hey guys,

So I'm in year 13 and I am thinking of doing AS and A2 Arabic both in one year

I am a native speaker, Iraqi dialect/ accent, and don't really speak in standard Arabic although I do understand it very well (like when watching the news, TV programmes etc.)

I can also read and write it well, my knowledge of grammar doesn't go far beyond the 'harakaat' and tenses and everything like that. I can write complete sentences and paragraphs and stories that make sense with no grammar or spelling mistakes, correct tenses and endings and accents but I don't know all the qawaa'id in depth...

Anyway, would you recommend I do it? I need to get an A in it at least and if I won't be able to then I'm not going to do it. Would this be difficult when sitting both AS and A2 exams in one year? Are the exams based on books or things like that?

Anyone who has already done it and can explain to me the whole general structure? I need to do it externally as my school won't teach it so any tips and tricks and advice would be appreciated.

I am doing Chemistry. Biology and Computer Science and I am also retaking many modules from the ASs (got BBCC) (Physics, Biology and Chemistry unit 2s) so will this affect my other subjects/ grades?

Thank youuuuuu :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hi !

Check out past papers and see if they ask you questions about ta3beer or quawaa3id. If your writing is perfect, then go ahead. Try to talk to a teacher first and see if he/she thinks it would be a good idea.
The Iraqui dialect is so complicated, grrr ! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by tamara98
Hi !

Check out past papers and see if they ask you questions about ta3beer or quawaa3id. If your writing is perfect, then go ahead. Try to talk to a teacher first and see if he/she thinks it would be a good idea.
The Iraqui dialect is so complicated, grrr ! Good luck :biggrin:

Hey thanks for the reply!

I am looking at past papers but i can only seem to find Unit 1 and Unit 2 papers :/

And yeah will pop by the local Arabic school next week and see what they think! My writing is by no means perfect haha, but i am quick and my spelling is okay like 90% of the time - thanks to texting my Mum in Arabic haha

I find every other dialect so hard to understand! Especially eqyptian, i have no idea what they're saying half the time! Iraqi is so simple to me :tongue:

Thanks again!
Reply 3
Original post by z33
Hey thanks for the reply!

I am looking at past papers but i can only seem to find Unit 1 and Unit 2 papers :/

And yeah will pop by the local Arabic school next week and see what they think! My writing is by no means perfect haha, but i am quick and my spelling is okay like 90% of the time - thanks to texting my Mum in Arabic haha

I find every other dialect so hard to understand! Especially eqyptian, i have no idea what they're saying half the time! Iraqi is so simple to me :tongue:

Thanks again!

Egyptian dialect is full of "haga haga haga" :')

No worries !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending