The Student Room Group

Chosen the wrong A levels..help..!

Hi so I'm in year 13 currently studying biology, english lit and art.
Bad combination of subjects I know!! When I chose my subjects at the time I wanted to study English Lit at Uni; hence the lack of any other science subject.

However, since studying biology at a-level I've decided that something in a biology related discipline is something that I definitely want to do at uni; possibly just a biology degree, or molecular biology, or neuroscience. However most universities require a second science A level which obviously I don't have.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice with regards to possible one year courses I could do next year before applying to uni that might enable me to apply for biological degrees? Or whether there are any other courses at uni's which only specify biology A level as essential which I might be interested in? Or perhaps if I should do a degree in psychology for example and then an Msc in neuroscience?
I am just so confused at the moment and cannot decide what to do in the upcoming future, any help or advice would really be appreciated!!
You can pick up another AS next year, or even this year if you study a little faster yourself
Reply 2
Original post by Student403
You can pick up another AS next year, or even this year if you study a little faster yourself

I was thinking of doing that, but do universities actually consider AS levels?
Hiii :smile: , if you aint a resit student you can always choose another science a level to do next year and do a fast track, which means if you want a full a level you can do AS and A2 in one year hence the name fast track. don't do it if you think you're not capable of it hope I helped though :smile:
Original post by _demimc_
I was thinking of doing that, but do universities actually consider AS levels?

Well it counts for UCAS tariff points so I'm sure they do. But if they require 2 science A levels, that would mean AS + A2. So you'd want to be studying the syllabi for both years at a much quicker rate.
Reply 5
Original post by Liam0324
Hi! Okay, so here's the bad news... Unfortunately as far as I am aware there are no one year courses you can do that a university would accept in place of another science A-level. However... there is some good news! Some universities offer foundation years in science! This is essentially a year in which you learn all the necessary subjects for the course and building on your current knowledge. An example of one such university is Cardiff. I was in the same situation as yourself. (but currently I'm on a gap year and had luckily picked up an extra As in year 13, which my school is now allowing me to complete whilst on my gap year.) Hopefully I have been of some help! Any questions, just ask. :smile:

Thanks that was really helpful! I hadn't thought about foundation years at uni!
Reply 6
Original post by lnbourgeois
Hiii :smile: , if you aint a resit student you can always choose another science a level to do next year and do a fast track, which means if you want a full a level you can do AS and A2 in one year hence the name fast track. don't do it if you think you're not capable of it hope I helped though :smile:

I had considered this, but if I were to choose chemistry/maths I feel like that would be way too difficult to study in one year?
Reply 7
Original post by Liam0324
Neither had I until I was doing some research about universities one day and came across a foundation year course. They are definitely worth a look as it will build your knowledge, as well as providing you with help on structuring university essays and other pieces of work. If you apply for a foundation year and you perform well in your exams, then you might also get as lucky as I did and get promoted from the foundation year straight onto the BSc course! :smile:

Yeah that definitely sounds like a good idea, thanks! Where did you do your foundation year and what subject was it?
Reply 8
Yeah that definitely sounds like a good idea, thanks! Where did you do your foundation year and what subject was it?

Cardiff. I was originally going to do chemistry but I switched to Biomedical Science.
I had considered this, but if I were to choose chemistry/maths I feel like that would be way too difficult to study in one year?

Oh I thought it was one A level sorry, but just do what you think is best for you, at the end of the day make sure your decision is sensible bc its your future we're talking about, good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Oh I thought it was one A level sorry, but just do what you think is best for you, at the end of the day make sure your decision is sensible bc its your future we're talking about, good luck :smile:

Oh no it is, I meant either chemistry or maths haha sorry! I just think doing one of those in a year would be difficult?
nah its alright I read it wrong lol, but are you going to be doing any other study alongside your chosen A level, bc if you're just gonna do one a level next year then doing as and a2 personally I think would be fine, sorry im pretty crap at giving advice. Im in year 13 myself and gotta resit most of my AS modules again so im kinda doing fast track, but anyways hope things go to plan for you :smile:
Reply 12
nah its alright I read it wrong lol, but are you going to be doing any other study alongside your chosen A level, bc if you're just gonna do one a level next year then doing as and a2 personally I think would be fine, sorry im pretty crap at giving advice. Im in year 13 myself and gotta resit most of my AS modules again so im kinda doing fast track, but anyways hope things go to plan for you :smile:

Yeah I would only be studying AS and A2 for one subject, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad then. Thanks for your help!!
Yeah I would only be studying AS and A2 for one subject, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad then. Thanks for your help!!

glad I could help in some sort of way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending