The Student Room Group

Joint honours / single honours degree?

Hi, I would like to be a secondary school teacher. The A levels that I am studying are French, English Literature and Philosophy & Ethics. I have always wanted to be an English teacher however I am wavering towards the idea of possibly being a French teacher. So I thought I might do an English Literature and French joint honours degree. What I would like know is a) does doing a joint honours degree open your options or does it hinder your options? B) could I be a secondary school teacher if I have done a joint honours degree? C) does a joint honours degree not look as good (in terms of the lack of depth you study each module with a joint honours) as a single honours degree? D) which is overall better?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by existential
Hi, I would like to be a secondary school teacher. The A levels that I am studying are French, English Literature and Philosophy & Ethics. I have always wanted to be an English teacher however I am wavering towards the idea of possibly being a French teacher. So I thought I might do an English Literature and French joint honours degree. What I would like know is a) does doing a joint honours degree open your options or does it hinder your options? B) could I be a secondary school teacher if I have done a joint honours degree? C) does a joint honours degree not look as good (in terms of the lack of depth you study each module with a joint honours) as a single honours degree? D) which is overall better?

Secondary school teacher? It doesn't matter. As long as you get a degree about the subject in question it's fine. Same goes for joint honours as long as it includes the subject you wish to teach :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kittyboy
Secondary school teacher? It doesn't matter. As long as you get a degree about the subject in question it's fine. Same goes for joint honours as long as it includes the subject you wish to teach :smile:

Thank you! So would having a joint honours degree mean I could chose either subject (of my joint honours) to do a PGCE in?
Original post by existential
Thank you! So would having a joint honours degree mean I could chose either subject (of my joint honours) to do a PGCE in?

"you studied one of these subjects as part of your degree.."

It's fine :smile:

http://www.gold.ac.uk/pgce/apply/entrance-requirements/
Reply 4
Original post by Kittyboy
"you studied one of these subjects as part of your degree.."

It's fine :smile:

http://www.gold.ac.uk/pgce/apply/entrance-requirements/

Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending