The Student Room Group

Something that I have noticed about londoners

Now we are all aware of the typical rat race culture that exists in such cities, but I have recently noticed in how Londoners simply do not give way to passers by, not even a budge, as they seem to think that they own the pavement.
I am disgusted by such behavior and I think Londoners should learn to street manners.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
Now we are all aware of the typical rat race culture that exists in such cities, but I have recently noticed in how Londoners simply do not give way to passers by, not even a budge, as they seem to think that they own the pavement.
I am disgusted by such behavior and I think Londoners should learn to street manners.

Not all of them are like that, you know..
Reply 2
Original post by ForgetMe
Not all of them are like that, you know..

the majority of Londoners are rude
Reply 3
i move away for everyone - what am I gonna walk straight into them? I'd like to keep my head connected to my body thank you very much :tongue:

People move for me too and this is NW10 - one of the worst areas of London
People also move and say excuse me and apologies in the very busy Oxford Street...

what London are you talking about it?
Reply 4
Original post by z33
i move away for everyone - what am I gonna walk straight into them? I'd like to keep my head connected to my body thank you very much :tongue:

People move for me too and this is NW10 - one of the worst areas of London
People also move and say excuse me and apologies in the very busy Oxford Street...

what London are you talking about it?

North and central
Reply 5
North and central

yeah i've been in both those areas and people are generally nice enough to move out of the way! they'll even say sorry if they accidentally brush against you...
even in pitch black darkness!

obviously there are the few *******s that barge into you and continue to walk forward without even looking back while you're recovering but other they're a minority...
I went to E17 today
I was scared AF:tongue:

What's with all these negative views concerning London? if you don't like it , then leave, I happen to love London. Yes it's a rat race, and people can be very anti-social, but it's a city governed by money.

But it's also the most diverse city in the world, it has more green space than any other major city and there is always something to do that is new and exciting.
Reply 8
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I went to E17 today

I was there today too. But what matters is you survived, so all is well :yep:

Well, nothing is going to change anyways but that's not just Londoners, tourists coming from different countries are equally the same, especially when they are on underground and cannot read signs :facepalm:

That's just not true - although I am a Londoner so...

The things that will typically provoke a bad reaction to Londoners are:

a. failings in commuting etiquette, eg taking your sweet time in rush hour anywhere at all, carrying huge rucksacks on the tube, not letting people get off the train first etc.

and b. telling them that life in London is worthless and they should consider moving elsewhere

Both of these things are rude anyway though, so some reaction is reasonable.
Are you really bothered by people not making way for you on the pavement? lmao...

I'm a Londoner, but go to uni in Cornwall, and trust me there are people who do that there too, and guess what? Probably everywhere else in this world.
You tell 'em.
Original post by aamirac

Yep!!! So are you :biggrin:
Reply 14
I went to E17 today

Original post by aamirac

What's wrong with e17?! It's calm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Novascope
Are you really bothered by people not making way for you on the pavement? lmao...

I'm a Londoner, but go to uni in Cornwall, and trust me there are people who do that there too, and guess what? Probably everywhere else in this world.

Yes, as it is rude.People should not be brushing shoulders and elbows whilst commuting.
Reply 16
I went to E17 today

What happened? :eek:
Reply 17
Yes, as it is rude.People should not be brushing shoulders and elbows whilst commuting.

Well, the streets are just so narrow and the buses are just sooo packed; what can they do? :frown:

I think it's admirable that you've taken the time to speak to 8m people. Big up, mate!

OP, as a northerner, I go to London and say "sorry" a lot for bumping in to people (which is inevitable in the capital - more so as a northerner, we say sorry when someone bumps in to us...) Any way, in London, I've noticed it's push or be pushed, at least at the stations.

Quick Reply

Latest