The Student Room Group

How do you meet people in London?

Other than by going to university in London, how easy is it to meet people there, both for friendships and romantically.

I’m in London quite a bit throughout the year, usually to visit places but would love to have someone to there to spend time with or who knows the area, especially as someone from a small town who isn’t used to how big cities work.

Do people there usually use dating apps to meet people or something. By the way I’m 18 and don’t drink so clubs and bars aren’t really in question.
You don't most of them are stuck up
Reply 2
Original post by bxa_842
Other than by going to university in London, how easy is it to meet people there, both for friendships and romantically.

I’m in London quite a bit throughout the year, usually to visit places but would love to have someone to there to spend time with or who knows the area, especially as someone from a small town who isn’t used to how big cities work.

Do people there usually use dating apps to meet people or something. By the way I’m 18 and don’t drink so clubs and bars aren’t really in question.

Hi, also 18. Currently not in London but lived there for a few years. I say use the dating apps as a last resort, not many people you can trust on there. Try chat rooms or actually push yourself to go to fun events around London, also keep up with socials - loads of popular areas where 18 year olds hang out.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
You don't most of them are stuck up

I noticed this lol. People will just blatantly walk into you because their ego doesn’t allow them to move to the side. However London is so big, with a variety of people so I’m willing to take my chances.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by derin005
Hi, also 18. Currently not in London but lived there for a few years. I say use the dating apps as a last resort, not many people you can trust on there. Try chat rooms or actually push yourself to go to fun events around London, also keep up with socials - loads of popular areas where 18 year olds hang out.

Glad to hear this, I’ve never been keen on using dating apps but have heard so many people say that it’s basically the only way to meet people there.

How/where would I find (safe) chatrooms, fun events? Also which socials are your referring to? Thank you in advance.
Reply 5
Original post by bxa_842
Glad to hear this, I’ve never been keen on using dating apps but have heard so many people say that it’s basically the only way to meet people there.

How/where would I find (safe) chatrooms, fun events? Also which socials are your referring to? Thank you in advance.

Hi, sorry for the late reply and your welcome. I wouldn’t say there are “safe” chatrooms but bearable ones, I forgot the name of one I used with a bunch of friends but I’ll ask. By socials, I mean TikTok, I don’t use the platform anymore but it’s how I found fun events around London people were currently going to.
Reply 6
Original post by bxa_842

The app is called Lobby.
Reply 7
Original post by bxa_842

There's an app called 'Thursday;' where singles can chat, meet, date etc. But they run social events for singles (as the name suggests, on Thursdays) primarily in London.
The good thing about it is that it only operates on Thursday, and is shut down the remaining 6 days of the week.
That might be a good idea if you are thinking of doing social events in London.

Alternatively, have a look on the Skiddle What's On London page: https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/London/
Select your dates and see if there's anything that catches your interest, then attend it.
Or if you're on a budget, do free activities: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/d/united-kingdom--london/free--events/

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending