The Student Room Group

Why dont people of colour celebrate halloween

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kkboyk
Not every .com site is American.

True true.
Reply 21
Original post by 010197
Maybe the non-religious ones would be up for it if the whites didn't make costumes out of someone's culture

If you're going to take that route, wouldn't they be borrowing Celtic culture?
Reply 22
Original post by 010197
I'm referring to far east Asian, Mexican, and Native American culture as well as blackface. People who are actually oppressed yfm

Surely the fact that you regard Celtic culture as expendable in comparison to other cultures is a symbol of inequality. Why does it matter less than other cultures? I've heard many people say to respect Native American culture but I've never heard anyone say - "Make sure you know Halloween's background before celebrating it."
Original post by defenestrated
every day is scary enough when the police might shoot you just for your skin colour

This is a ****ing British forum! Really? We have brown people in the UK!!!
Reply 24
Original post by 010197
I hate hallowen and I don't celebrate it. I don't care if you're offended by people celebrating your occasion or whatever but I'm not just gonna stay mute when someone makes a costume out of the same culture and heritage I'm mocked for

Then why should anyone else care when someone makes a costume out of your culture?
Original post by matthewduncan
Ethnic minorities.
Blacks,asians,arabs, etc???
Why is this

Because the last time when they wore masks, they got arrested and jailed.:biggrin:
(No offence plz):smile:
Reply 26
"People of colour"

Prime 1985
I celebrate Halloween :u: Well usually, I didn't this year.
I'm asian and I celebrate Halloween...
Ethnic minorities.
Why is this

Because they're less brain-washed by American customs?
Reply 30
Original post by 010197
cracker

Wtf?! Have I gone back in time?
that is not true
Ain't nobody got time for that
Reply 33
Original post by 010197
Did I say they should care? No. But they should at least have the decency to understand they have no right to partake in a culture that isn't theirs. I don't care about your haggis because stereotypes aren't oppressing you, but when I get called an immigrant for wearing traditional clothes whilst the next cracker gets labeled alternative for the same reason, that is oppression.

"They have no right to partake in a culture that isn't theirs" - And this shouldn't apply to Halloween?

"haggis" - Haggis is recognised as a part of Scottish culture not Celtic culture. Regardless, you don't think that Scottish people are ever mocked for their traditions? Wearing kilts or eating haggis? How is this different to your situation?

"the next cracker" - It's funny when the idiots harping on about cultural appropriation are the biggest racists themselves.

Cultural appropriation is a silly idea so I don't advocate any of the views I've stated. But if you're going to talk about I think it's pretty telling that you don't care if it's hurting cultures traditionally celebrated by white people.
Reply 34
Original post by demx9
Not in the UK

We must not live in the same country then :colonhash:
Ethnic minorities.
Why is this

The ****, because a few people you knew that are from an ethnic minority background didn't celebrate Halloween, no every ethnic minority doesn't, such a white boy thing to post
Reply 36
Because we aren't as naturally evil. Whites have a history of evilness so Halloween is a big celebration to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Souljer
Because we aren't as naturally evil. Whites have a history of evilness so Halloween is a big celebration to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by defenestrated
every day is scary enough when the police might shoot you just for your skin colour

I know it might be little shocking, but not everywhere is as f*cked up as freedom-land.
Reply 39

Quick Reply

Latest