The Student Room Group

What sort of salary should I be aiming for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
IBs regularly pay graduate software devs that much, so do the top software houses (FB, Google etc) and startups.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't use the word "regularly", outside the country in the US - yeah. I'm working for an international bank branch in London and we don't pay nearly that much to our grad developers. I've worked for IBM, again around 30k ish in London. Google I can imagine, yes would do so but most IB's wouldn't do so. Neither would most startups.I'd probably say instead of "regularly" it would be "some of the top, top software houses pay 40k to the best grads in overly competitive jobs even with those qualifications". Either way, the average in London is about 30k and 25k outside, something like that.
Original post by ron_trns
I wouldn't use the word "regularly", outside the country in the US - yeah. I'm working for an international bank branch in London and we don't pay nearly that much to our grad developers. I've worked for IBM, again around 30k ish in London. Google I can imagine, yes would do so but most IB's wouldn't do so. Neither would most startups.I'd probably say instead of "regularly" it would be "some of the top, top software houses pay 40k to the best grads in overly competitive jobs even with those qualifications". Either way, the average in London is about 30k and 25k outside, something like that.

Well, I'm fairly certain the likes of JPMorgan, Goldman, Barclays Capital pay around the ~£40-42k range for graduate software devs, based on the offer letters I've seen.

Yeah, IBM is £30k. Some other tech consulting firms (namely Newton and CHP) pay above the odds though.

Generally agree with your conclusion.
Original post by Princepieman
Uni doesn't dictate a salary you nugget, neither does degree class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You trying to tell me there's 0 correlation between the two? Exactly, there's obviously correlation and therefore it is "kind of" (direct quote) dependent. Please stop trying to be right all of the time, this is ridiculous.
Original post by Rabadon
You trying to tell me there's 0 correlation between the two? Exactly, there's obviously correlation and therefore it is "kind of" (direct quote) dependent. Please stop trying to be right all of the time, this is ridiculous.

Lol, I find it fun tbh.

Also correlation =/= causation. People at top unis land the best paying jobs because they are smart, not because of the degree they have. If they went to a different uni, they'd still be able to land the job. People get confused by this and claim that their uni is the cause of higher salaries when it is in fact, the individual themselves.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
I'll concede that it does depend on which angle you're looking at it from.

You're right that attending a certain elite University will not guarantee employment anywhere.

However, attending a different University could preclude you from employment in some places (the company to which I was referring auto-rejects applicants who didn't go to a University they consider to be good enough).

The second point is what I was talking about. In that example, the University you attend directly dictates your eligibility for employment

I agree with you, it all depends on the industry/companies you aim for. Some are more elitist than others, some couldn't give a crap about where you did your degree.

The trouble with this is that people begin to generalise based on loose statistics about what they 'expect' to earn after their top degrees. Which inevitably leads to disappointment when they realise that they aren't fit for the roles (or companies) that pay these obscene amounts.

True, but one siloed example of, I imagine, a very small company is hardly enough of a proportion of the entire high paying grad scheme landscape.

It's an interesting debate and I fall very much on the 'ability' end of the spectrum, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I'm currently looking into creating a portfolio. I'm not sure what sorts of projects I should put into it, though. I don't want to just dump every small thing I've done. I'm also looking for new project ideas. What kind of projects would impress in terms of size/complexity? I'm most familiar with Java.
(edited 8 years ago)
To be honest you should just concentrating on getting a job as your salaries going to get higher later on but good luck :smile:
Original post by Alexion
I'm just happy about the £29,000 average I'm being told about for after my course. Something to look forward to...

Chem eng?
Original post by Adeel Ali
Chem eng?

Elec :wink:
Original post by Alexion
Elec :wink:

Pft. Im not sure youll get that.. Average is probably 25-6k. What year and uni you go?
Pft. Im not sure youll get that.. Average is probably 25-6k. What year and uni you go?

Looking at Southampton :tongue:

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007158FT-250/ReturnTo/Search

Ooo! Rather appealing! How is the course, do you learn to program?
Ooo! Rather appealing! How is the course, do you learn to program?

We do indeed, but it sounds like a lot of the focus is on the hardware :h: it's all interlinked though...
Just curious, what languages are you interested in?
Is this a junior position or a position for someone with several years of experience?
Oh, I see. But are you asking the same requirements (the ones you listed) for both the junior version and the experienced version of the job?
I understand that providing all this information takes time and effort so thank you. :smile:
I've had a job for about a month and a half now I'm on £24k.
Hi, For people who are pursuing the computer science degree what do you think is the best way to earn experience or get to know about the degree itself because I have 3 years left and I am pretty sure its going to get super competitive so what do I need to do.
Original post by jonny35293278
Hi, For people who are pursuing the computer science degree what do you think is the best way to earn experience or get to know about the degree itself because I have 3 years left and I am pretty sure its going to get super competitive so what do I need to do.

Come up with random projects, contribute to open source, attend hackathons, build a portfolio of projects/programs, get on GitHub, contact startups to see if they'd take you on as an intern etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending