The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hellodave5
I did a BTEC in sports science, after scuffing up my A levels. They just didn't motivate me, and I felt I needed something with pragmatic use to do so. Also I don't come from an academic background (my parents don't even have GCSE's), so obviously there is no one to tell me that there's any purpose to learn what seemed like at the time, to be pointless A level information with little practical but high academic value.

The BTEC in sports science has allowed me to do a degree in psychology, start a masters degree in clinical neuroscience, and get to a point where I can be considering applying to medicine.

They certainly aren't as bad as you're suggesting by the rather offensive picture!

If I found out that my doctor did btec, I would just kill myself. It would be quicker
Original post by godivaontherocks
I'm not saying that BTEC's aren't worth it or worth any less than an A-level. And I too am getting a little tired of the whole 'my subject is better than your subject' debate that's always on here. But I can say that I chose to do A-level music over the BTEC because I noticed that the BTEC for that particular subject was just a watered-down version of the A-level equivalent. But this is not to say that I think that's a reflection of the BTECs difficulty in general. Just for music.

And I noticed that for a lot of courses (at the time I was applying for uni) did not accept BTECs but only took A-levels. And also at the time, the GCSE requirements for A-level were higher so I thought I might as well aim high since I got good GCSE's. Each to their own really. I certainly don't think any less of anyone who chooses to do BTEC or whatever else. It's admirable that you're choosing to improve yourself, no matter what type of course you choose.

I would
Original post by Lucasium
If I found out that my doctor did btec, I would just kill myself. It would be quicker

Looking forward to treating you, then.
I would

I can certainly understand. I have nothing against those who choose to do BTEC. But I personally would never have chosen it. It's why I picked A-levels.
Original post by whydoidothis?
Alot of people on this forum are very snobbish.
BTECS are certainly not as hard as A levels, they are 'easy' but who cares?
Yes they do get you to practically anywhere as the dude above was saying but it takes lot longer.
Adds about 6 more years to starting a medicine degree which in my opinion is ridiculous but for some people its the only option, and i understand that so don't go around making fun of them.

Continuing the medicine example, once your both doctors no one will care how you got there.

Edit: I bashed BTEC bashers but some people also say BTECS are not easier, they are face it.

Why do you feel its ridiculous starting a medical degree later? Some people start much later than that. It would mean that that individual (graduate entry) would have a massive range of experiences to bring to medicine... one doesn't sit on their ass for 6 years. Not everyone is blessed with a perfect upbringing and biology, and instilled knowledge of what they want to do for the rest of their lives at such a young age

Most people on here (supposedly smart people who did A level), do not understand the value of BTEC and similar. It is a practical course, and a different route of learning. Difficulty doesn't particularly matter, as long as it is adequate to prepare for the next stage, which is degree level (which it very much does in most cases). If you aren't naturally academic (e.g. don't come from an educated family background), then this is a possible route for further personal development.
I can certainly understand. I have nothing against those who choose to do BTEC. But I personally would never have chosen it. It's why I picked A-levels.

Do people ever choose to do a btec? I think it's more of a case of them looking at their GCSEs and thinking 'oh ****, I guess I'm only a btec standard'
Do people ever choose to do a btec? I think it's more of a case of them looking at their GCSEs and thinking 'oh ****, I guess I'm only a btec standard'

To be fair, I reckon you might have a point there. When I asked my flatmate why he choose to do BTECs (currently studying BA Drama), he said he was left with little choice after he received his GCSE results. I'm not saying all BTEC students are in the same boat, but the GCSE requirements for A-levels do tend to be higher. Unless things have really changed since I took them.
Reasons why I will never consider BTEC to be the same as A-levels...
Triple D*, or as they call it is equivalent to A*/A*/A* - give me a break.

In my Sixth-Form College (one of the largest in Britain), anywhere from 50-80 students get triple D*'s per year, over the last 5 years there have been 10-15 students who have probably achieved A*/A*/A, of which only 6 have gotten into Oxbridge.

If BTEC's were equivalent to alevels - triple d* was equivalent to triple a* in alevels, why is it that BTEC's seldom bag a place at a RG Uni, let alone Oxbridge?
Why do you feel its ridiculous starting a medical degree later? Some people start much later than that. It would mean that that individual (graduate entry) would have a massive range of experiences to bring to medicine... one doesn't sit on their ass for 6 years. Not everyone is blessed with a perfect upbringing and biology, and instilled knowledge of what they want to do for the rest of their lives at such a young age

Most people on here (supposedly smart people who did A level), do not understand the value of BTEC and similar. It is a practical course, and a different route of learning. Difficulty doesn't particularly matter, as long as it is adequate to prepare for the next stage, which is degree level (which it very much does in most cases). If you aren't naturally academic (e.g. don't come from an educated family background), then this is a possible route for further personal development.

Don't bother trying to protect btec because this is TSR! You may find more support for btec at your local brothel or recycling centre
To be fair, I reckon you might have a point there. When I asked my flatmate why he choose to do BTECs (currently studying BA Drama), he said he was left with little choice after he received his GCSE results. I'm not saying all BTEC students are in the same boat, but the GCSE requirements for A-levels do tend to be higher. Unless things have really changed since I took them.

Yeah I'm right, I know what I'm talking about. Who do you take me for? A BTECer?

I meant for me it is ridiculous, if you can get AAA you would never ever do a BTEC.
Also you not coming from an educated background has little to do with it, its all about your attitude, you probably did not work hard enough. I do not know anyone who worked thier ass off and did not get decent grades.

Personally if i meet my uni offer i would be the first person in my family to go to uni, i was raised by a single mother and did everything on my own.

I have no time for your mindset of, I had lower chances. Yes you did, but you could have made up for them. You should have revised 2 hours every day for the whole year if you knew you were not the most intelligent.

EDIT: As for development, a levels prepare you alot better for uni.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes.

DIc about what happens to BTECists? No, so no one bother quoting me on it.
Yeah I'm right, I know what I'm talking about. Who do you take me for? A BTECer?

Ssh! :wink: I'm trying to be diplomatic here.
Are you talking about people who take BTEC Science?

As I take BTEC First L1/L2 Engineering and I don't suffer from prejudice the same way as you do..?
Ssh! :wink: I'm trying to be diplomatic here.

You are doing a fine job at that...
Original post by whydoidothis?
I meant for me it is ridiculous, if you can get AAA you would never ever do a BTEC.
Also you not coming from an educated background has little to do with it, its all about your attitude, you probably did not work hard enough. I do not know anyone who worked thier ass off and did not get decent grades.

Personally if i meet my uni offer i would be the first person in my family to go to uni, i was raised by a single mother and did everything on my own.

I have no time for your mindset of, I had lower chances. Yes you did, but you could have made up for them. You should have revised 2 hours every day for the whole year if you knew you were not the most intelligent.

Do you not understand academic achievement determinants at all?
Usually a young a person needs to feel that the work they are doing is worth while, direction, and support. Though if you had a difficult upbringing then I take my hat off to you for doing well - most people that have a bad upbringing tend to do badly, through no fault of their own. Otherwise everyone would be on A's - A levels and GCSE's are pretty easy stuff.

It wouldn't be appropriate to do a BTEC if you're academically suited to A levels (to knowingly be able to get AAA), obviously.

With that last part, I have no idea what you're on about.

To edit: not necessarily the case.
Original post by British Jesus
You are doing a fine job at that...

BTECs - not for everyone. A-levels - not for everyone.

How's that?
Reply 37
Bloody hell. Jumped over a canyon there.

Honestly think BTECs are great. Best academic/professional choice I have made was to do one.

Let's be honest Dave, it wasn't a choice.
Reply 38
Original post by hoping4Astars
Yeah I agree. Although some A level subjects like general studies and sociology/psychology are just as easy as btec, if not easier.

Sociology and psychology are hard A levels. They require a lot of specific knowledge and the ability to analyse an argument. They require the ability to evaluate research, something not taught in STEM subjects.

BTECS are also hard. They require the ability to think and analyse things. They also require a lot of knowledge and they teach you specific career related skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should respect people regardless of their qualification. Just because someone chooses to do BTEC doesn't make them any less of a person than an A-level student.
I believe that the difficulty of something is up to individual's consideration. I found maths incredibly difficult at A-levels but that's not to say everyone else in the world will find it difficult too.

Latest