The Student Room Group

Why are there so many gold diggers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sherlockfan
I'm not talking about feminism though.

No but what my post is saying

1. Women and men are equals - I believe that, feminism believes that. This is modern society's thinking.

2. So, women shouldn't aspire to find the richest possible husband. They should aspire to get the best possible job.

As a result of this, women would feel more fulfilled and satisfied.

Women who just want to marry for money should rightly be labelled as gold-diggers.

Same with men.
Original post by Awesome Genius
No but what my post is saying

1. Women and men are equals - I believe that, feminism believes that. This is modern society's thinking.

2. So, women shouldn't aspire to find the richest possible husband. They should aspire to get the best possible job.

As a result of this, women would feel more fulfilled and satisfied.

Women who just want to marry for money should rightly be labelled as gold-diggers.

Same with men.

no, your post is saying this:

WAAAA women don't want me why can't I get laid?? :frown:
I'm not talking about feminism though.
do a man and a woman's evolutionary differences mean that they shouldn't be equal in the law? of course not.
I'm just saying that this thread would be the equivalent of a woman saying 'why do all men want fit supermodels?'

I dont agree with that.

How attractive someone is, is a personal trait. Its a factor involved in attraction. It is the same as personality and hobbies etc.

How much money someone has is not something which physically attracts you to somebody lol That is so cynical. The only reason you would want money is because you are accepting that you are unable or, even worse, unwilling to go and get it for yourself.
no, your post is saying this:

WAAAA women don't want me why can't I get laid?? :frown:

You know you've won an argument when someone resorts to personal attacks.

Goodnight and god bless :smile:
I dont agree with that.

How attractive someone is, is a personal trait. Its a factor involved in attraction. It is the same as personality and hobbies etc.

How much money someone has is not something which physically attracts you to somebody lol That is so cynical. The only reason you would want money is because you are accepting that you are unable or, even worse, unwilling to go and get it for yourself.

someone who has a lot of money is also likely to have attractive qualities, like assertiveness and other typically male traits like dominance, intelligence and/or physical strength. also, physical attractiveness and material wealth are very closely related! It's no surprise that women want to find the most better-off partner that they can, just as men want the most beautiful woman they can get. so stop demonizing women. we are both guilty.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't understand OP's reasoning at all. So what about the millions of people of both genders that try for the lottery every year? They clearly want unlimited money so they can sit back and relax/do absolutely anything they want for the rest of their life.
You know you've won an argument when someone resorts to personal attacks.

Goodnight and god bless :smile:

it's true though. none of your threads have any depth or meaning or even common sense beyond the personal rants of a sexually frustrated man who tries to get laid by buying an expensive car, and then fails. it's funny and sad at the same time.
Original post by Alrounder79
I don't understand OP's reasoning at all. So what about the millions of people of both genders that try for the lottery every year? They clearly want unlimited money so they can sit back and relax/do absolutely anything they want for the rest of their life.

They dont do it under the pretence of a relationship.
it's true though. none of your threads have any depth or meaning or even common sense beyond the personal rants of a sexually frustrated man who tries to get laid by buying an expensive car, and then fails. it's funny and sad at the same time.

forget it I'm not arguing with you. just don't keep quoting me.
(edited 8 years ago)
They dont do it under the pretence of a relationship.

That pretence has to be maintained to prevent shaming from society. An example being you. Many men probably know they wouldn't have the wives they have if it weren't for their money.

Besides, you've been saying things like "the feeling of progression and achievement is central to happiness in life. One day you'll realise that. Being static is like being dead". We've already established that millions upon millions of people don't care about this and would happily take the money. Your own philosophy on life doesn't have to apply to others.
(edited 8 years ago)
That pretence has to be maintained to prevent shaming from society. Many men probably know they wouldn't have the wives they have if it weren't for their money.

Besides, you've been saying things life "the feeling of progression and achievement is central to happiness in life. One day you'll realise that. Being static is like being dead". We've already established that millions upon millions of people don't care about this and would happily take the money. Your own philosophy on life doesn't have to apply to others.

Bit in bold - absolutely agree. Totally ties in with my main point too.

How exactly have we established that millions upon millions of people don't care about achievement and progression?

Obviously if you ask a housewife that buys LV purses all day, are you happy? She'll say yes. Who actually knows how she feels? People don't admit how they really feel. You have to see these things from first principles because its impossible to prove empirically.

Think about it in context to your own life. Try and distill out the things that genuinely make you feel good - things which you cling to in difficult times that define your character? What are they and how did they come about?
Bit in bold - absolutely agree. Totally ties in with my main point too.

I mentioned that to imply that it's not usually the case that gold diggers are deceiving the husband. There is a mutual recognition that the money is an important factor in the marriage.

How exactly have we established that millions upon millions of people don't care about achievement and progression?

You needn't look at things so deeply. Many people want money and don't want to work. You can try and justify your hate for 'gold diggers' by questioning whether they truly are happy all you want. This gets you nowhere because all you can do is figure out what makes you happy and apply that to everyone.

I honestly don't want to work a day of my life. I'd be happy winning the lottery and living out my days living life.
(edited 8 years ago)
forget it I'm not arguing with you. just don't keep quoting me.

cool. that must mean I'm right.

btw most men who buy big cars are trying to compensate for something else. just saying.

night night.
I mentioned that to imply that it's not usually the case that gold diggers are deceiving the husband. There is a mutual recognition that the money is an important factor in the marriage.

Doesn't make it OK.

You needn't look at things so deeply. People want money and don't want to work. You can try and justify your hate for 'gold diggers' by questioning whether they truly are happy all you want. This gets you nowhere because all you can do is figure out what makes you happy and apply that to everyone.

I honestly don't want to work a day of my life. I'd be happy winning the lottery and living out my days living life.

Well you're wrong. You wouldn't be happy after a little while. To say what you've said is naive and you can claim its true because you'll never be able to experience that and prove yourself wrong.

Why do stupidly rich people want to get richer? People like Steve Jobs, who are multi-billionaires, why the hell would you come to work in the morning?

You think there's a subset of people out there like you that "just want to rich" - there really isn't. Its a human tendency to want to feel that you've done something yourself and made it happen. Just having lots of nice things is really pointless after a while.

What I will say is - after you've failed a little at achieving a goal, a lot of people give up. Then, you shift the goalposts. All of these gold-diggers would have done that. No girl grows up thinking, "I want to suck off some investment banker so I don't have to go and work myself". They slowly go through the process of redefining all their goals and trying to convince themselves that its ok to live like this. I don't believe these people are very fulfilled. May be after they were **** at school and university, this was the happiest they could have been - fine - but if they hadn't given up they would be even happier.

As I said, neither of us have a way of proving or disproving either theory because they're far too psychological and anecdotal so we'll have to agree to disagree.
cool. that must mean I'm right.

btw most men who buy big cars are trying to compensate for something else. just saying.

night night.

i finished university.

Well you're wrong. You wouldn't be happy after a little while. To say what you've said is naive and you can claim its true because you'll never be able to experience that and prove yourself wrong.

Why do stupidly rich people want to get richer? People like Steve Jobs, who are multi-billionaires, why the hell would you come to work in the morning?

You think there's a subset of people out there like you that "just want to rich" - there really isn't. Its a human tendency to want to feel that you've done something yourself and made it happen. Just having lots of nice things is really pointless after a while.

What I will say is - after you've failed a little at achieving a goal, a lot of people give up. Then, you shift the goalposts. All of these gold-diggers would have done that. No girl grows up thinking, "I want to suck off some investment banker so I don't have to go and work myself". They slowly go through the process of redefining all their goals and trying to convince themselves that its ok to live like this. I don't believe these people are very fulfilled. May be after they were **** at school and university, this was the happiest they could have been - fine - but if they hadn't given up they would be even happier.

As I said, neither of us have a way of proving or disproving either theory because they're far too psychological and anecdotal so we'll have to agree to disagree.

We can agree to disagree about our general arguments, but you are wrong about me. I can only go by how my life has gone so far, and my life so far suggests I don't want to work at all. Education has always been depressing for me, and I don't see that changing once I get a job. In theory, I should be 'happy' at progressing from GCSEs to A-levels to now University, but that's not even slightly the feeling I get.

Anyways, it's been interesting.
i finished university.

i don't care.
Reply 77
Let's be honest, you can't just generalise 'some' women based off the ones you've met. Just because a woman wants to marry a rich man and relax is none of your business to be honest. It's not like they're going to be disturbing you. It's their life let them choose how they want to live it. Also if you're also talking about men who are gold diggers, put it in your first post because you just keep going on and on about how if women want to be equal with men they shouldn't marry a guy based on how much dough he makes. It's a choice MEN and WOMEN choose, so who are you to stop them.
Basically feminism states that:

The belief that women are and should be treated as potential intellectual equals and social equals to men.

This is why you are a beta Elman, this is why you are a failure. Why the **** do you care and complain about what women want or what women do. Why does it concern you?

You're the pathetic one here, you're like that elliot rodger guy, an insecure loser who can't get girls.

If you just live your life and think about improving yourself and your life for YOUR sake, not to attract women then you'll have no problems, trouble is you're so desperate for approval you constantly base your life around becoming as attractive to women as possible and then you complain at any hinderance to this end like a little bitch.

You're tragic man.
Original post by TheMaster102
This is why you are a beta Elman, this is why you are a failure. Why the **** do you care and complain about what women want or what women do. Why does it concern you?

You're the pathetic one here, you're like that elliot rodger guy, an insecure loser who can't get girls.

If you just live your life and think about improving yourself and your life for YOUR sake, not to attract women then you'll have no problems, trouble is you're so desperate for approval you constantly base your life around becoming as attractive to women as possible and then you complain at any hinderance to this end like a little bitch.

You're tragic man.

Lmao you got a 2:2 and you're calling me a failure? I got a first from Oxford. I don't need to respond to useless people like you. **** off.

Quick Reply

Latest