The Student Room Group

Article: If you're planning to start uni in 2016, you need to know about this

From September 2016 the maintenance grant for English students is being replaced. If you're planning on going to university - or you're already there - you need to know how this will affect you.

Here, we take a look at the important facts and figures behind the change. There's still a way to get the grant, too: read on for more.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Students have it hard already- and have to work part time to get money-- although they are working for free mostly as the money goes in travel and books and food. Why do they have to be scrapped?!
Reply 2
What about me who started a foundation course Sept 2015 and continue on for three years for engineering? Do I keep my grant next year?
I'm glad they've increased the London loan further at least. It's just so expensive living here compared to anywhere else.
Original post by LiquidGold
I'm glad they've increased the London loan further at least. It's just so expensive living here compared to anywhere else.

In general, people who start each year, the loan goes up each year.
Original post by OU Student
In general, people who start each year, the loan goes up each year.

Haha thank you I know, i just meant by so much!
What do they mean apply for January 2016 entry?
Original post by Shostakovish
What do they mean apply for January 2016 entry?

Exactly that, some courses such as nursing have intake in January and April as well as September, it's worth checking with the uni to see if they do for the course you want but the deadline is soon if not already passed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RevisionNad
Students have it hard already- and have to work part time to get money-- although they are working for free mostly as the money goes in travel and books and food. Why do they have to be scrapped?!

If working to buy stuff you need is working 'for free' then surely most people on minimum wage are working 'for free'. Students aren't the only people who need transport and food. And looking at the amounts people will get it seems like at least most students will be receiving more money in their bank to spend at uni. And if you don't want all of the loan available to you, you don't have at take all (or any) of it.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
If working to buy stuff you need is working 'for free' then surely most people on minimum wage are working 'for free'. Students aren't the only people who need transport and food. And looking at the amounts people will get it seems like at least most students will be receiving more money in their bank to spend at uni. And if you don't want all of the loan available to you, you don't have at take all (or any) of it.

I know that it is hard for others like people on minimum wage or those even not on minimum wage. But this post was specific to students so hence I put my take on students.

If the increased loan doesn't cover maintenance costs then you either:
- spend too much, or
- have parents who can afford to help you out

Either case is a problem that can be easily solved.
I know that it is hard for others like people on minimum wage or those even not on minimum wage. But this post was specific to students so hence I put my take on students.

But my point was if they get paid minimum wage they are not working 'for free'. They are working for the money they need to buy stuff. That's the point of a job.
Original post by StrangeBanana
If the increased loan doesn't cover maintenance costs then you either:
- spend too much, or
- have parents who can afford to help you out

Either case is a problem that can be easily solved.

Or fall into that annoying bracket where on paper your parents earn a decent amount but once you take out bills, mortgage, their living expenses, and potentially siblings at university as well then they can't afford to help you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jackieox
Or fall into that annoying bracket where on paper your parents earn a decent amount but once you take out bills, mortgage, their living expenses, and potentially siblings at university as well then they can't afford to help you...

Living expense can be reduced. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
unfortunately people are getting the wrong end of the stick here. What I meant by working for free, was not meant to be taken as a literal meaning. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish they'd actually consider all of that. Not go 'oh, your parents earn this much so you'll be fine.'
Like, no. That doesn't mean they're going to give me tonnes of their money. They'll help out when it's absolutely necessary, but when it comes down to it, there is much more they simply can't not pay. Things would be easier if everyone could get at least some extra loan - I wouldn't mind having a slightly higher debt if it meant I was able to live more comfortably during uni life.
Living expense can be reduced. :smile:

Even if they can (which my parents can't reduce anyway without cutting out essentials) then it's not their job to pay for me anyway ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even if they can (which my parents can't reduce anyway without cutting out essentials) then it's not their job to pay for me anyway?

First, define "essentials". Secondly, yes, it is their responsibility to provide you with financial support if you are unable to go to university otherwise. That's part of being a parent.
Reply 18
Even if they can (which my parents can't reduce anyway without cutting out essentials) then it's not their job to pay for me anyway ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whilst I can appreciate their financial position and your frustration (having been in that situation), it's more their responsibility than mine (taxpayer).

The days of free and heavily subsidised uni education happened when a tiny proportion of school leavers went to uni. I first went in the early 80s - I was funded with non-repayable government grants, although even then, it was income-assessed and my parents wouldn't/couldn't give me three-quarters of the amount which was calculated as their contribution. I had to work through all three holidays to make up the shortfall, with two jobs in the summer. At that time, around 2% of school leavers went to uni. Numbers have since increased massively. The previous Labour government had a target of getting 50% of school leavers into uni. At that rate, subsidy for uni education in the form of student support, was bound to be unsustainable.

The current government is tightening up student funding further and is trying to divert potential uni students into employment-based vocational training courses or apprenticeships (not that these exist in the necessary numbers), thus shifting the cost of post-school education onto employers.

The situation won't get better. The likelihood is that it will get worse for students e.g. in making loan repayment terms less favourable, selling off chunks of the loan book to commercial enterprises (has already happened with loans held under an early system) etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
First, define "essentials". Secondly, yes, it is their responsibility to provide you with financial support if you are unable to go to university otherwise. That's part of being a parent.

Car payments, food, fuel, etc...
They're only meant to be financially responsible for me until I turn 18...
I work 3 jobs and I still struggle but it's not down to them to be funding me. There has to come a point where you stop relying on your parents and work to yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending