The Student Room Group

Started university and insomnia has hit me very badly, and it is killing me !!!!!!!!!

I really do not know what to do!
I feel hopeless. Uni is very stressful and I can not afford insomnia to ruin my university life. I cant sleep till 4am, despite the fact I am tired. My brain simply does not allow me to fall asleep. I fall asleep at 4am and have to wake up at 8am or 9am. So I am getting about maximum 5 hours of sleep. Sometimes, I even miss my lecture so I can sleep a bit more. Its just so fustrating. I feel like crying. It had a huge impact on my productivity and efficiency when it comes to revision.

I did not have this issue before, but since university has started I developed insomnia, I have so many other problems in my life.
I dont know what to do !
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! I BEG U

Scroll to see replies

If anything I would say to use that to your advantage. I had to stay up till about 2 to get all the work done ^^

If it persists though would see your GP. Perhaps its just getting used to all of the change, new environment and stressors etc.
Your GP can prescribe PRN (take as required, not every day) sleeping meds for you if needed. The one I'm on is actually an antihistamine, so tiz non-addictive and everything :h:
Reply 3
I am not in the UK.
And I am not going to consume tablets, because I do not have chronic insomnia.
Reply 4
When you say you cant sleep until 4, is it every single day?
Reply 5
Original post by 123Life
When you say you cant sleep until 4, is it every single day?

Yes:frown::frown:

Apprx 4 am sometimes even later.

My aim is to go to bed at 10pm and wake up 6am.
Reply 6
You need to tire yourself out. I recommend going to the gym or running late at night, then have a hot shower.
Reply 7
Original post by eoe
Yes:frown::frown:

Apprx 4 am sometimes even later.

My aim is to go to bed at 10pm and wake up 6am.

Oh okay. I know a place that has helped many people with this problem, even me at one point. I'll pm you. Where abouts are you based if you don't mind me asking.
Reply 8
Original post by 123Life
Oh okay. I know a place that has helped many people with this problem, even me at one point. I'll pm you. Where abouts are you based if you don't mind me asking.

holland
Reply 9
Original post by ubisoft
You need to tire yourself out. I recommend going to the gym or running late at night, then have a hot shower.

I heard sport before going to sleep activates the brain and thats not we want.

I go running in the morning
I drink warm milk, because I heard it helps you sleep.
Reply 10
Read a fiction book before going to sleep - always helps me.

In paper form though - not e-books on a screen.
W

Original post by eoe
I feel hopeless. Uni is very stressful and I can not afford insomnia to ruin my university life. I cant sleep till 4am, despite the fact I am tired. My brain simply does not allow me to fall asleep. I fall asleep at 4am and have to wake up at 8am or 9am. So I am getting about maximum 5 hours of sleep. Sometimes, I even miss my lecture so I can sleep a bit more. Its just so fustrating. I feel like crying. It had a huge impact on my productivity and efficiency when it comes to revision.

I did not have this issue before, but since university has started I developed insomnia, I have so many other problems in my life.
I dont know what to do !

Whatever you do, try as much as possible to avoid relying on medication for sleeping disorders.
Reply 12
Original post by nucdev
Read a fiction book before going to sleep - always helps me.

In paper form though - not e-books on a screen.

tried, i get sleepy but i can not fall asleep
Reply 13
Original post by eoe
tried, i get sleepy but i can not fall asleep

Listen to calming music?
Reply 14
Original post by nucdev
Listen to calming music?

i tried this as well, it does the opposite
Original post by eoe

I dont know what to do !

Um I mean avoid coffee... I sleep 5 hours a day anyway, but that's just me. If you worry about it, it can get worse, but try to get some support from your uni.
Oh and get f.lux on your computer, if you have an android phone you can get twilight, and jailbroken IOS users can get f.lux too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eoe
I am not in the UK.
And I am not going to consume tablets, because I do not have chronic insomnia.

How much exercise do you do? Do you eat properly? Do you suffer from persistent anxiety, loneliness or other unpleasant feelings? Is your living environment healthy and comfortable for you? Do you consume much caffeine? How much time do you spend looking at a screen?
Reply 17
Original post by eoe
i tried this as well, it does the opposite

Oh dear!

Maybe you're just going through a temporary "phase" of insomnia. I get that sometimes - for a few weeks I can only sleep much later on at night and just get a few hours of sleep despite being tired.

It then returns back to normal and actually I end up catching up on that missed sleep - sometimes sleeping for 12-14 hours at a time for a few weeks and then returning to 8hrs.
Reply 18
Original post by nucdev
Oh dear!

Maybe you're just going through a temporary "phase" of insomnia. I get that sometimes - for a few weeks I can only sleep much later on at night and just get a few hours of sleep despite being tired.

It then returns back to normal and actually I end up catching up on that missed sleep - sometimes sleeping for 12-14 hours at a time for a few weeks and then returning to 8hrs.

I know, it must be a phase. I did not have these issues before
Reply 19
Original post by eoe

I dont know what to do !

I'm the same. Going to sleep at 3/4 in the morning and then waking up at 6 every day and then weekends I'm working :frown:

Latest