The Student Room Group

betas?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 16Characters....
If two quantities are in direct proportion then the constant of proportionality is defined as their ratio yx\frac{y}{x} , or alternatively as the constant C such that y=Cx y = Cx where x,y are the quantities in direct proportion.

In relationships of the form y=kx y = -kx with k a positive constant, the constant of proportionality is (-k) not k. (again working off y is directly proportional to x)

Edit: A refinement is needed for the first paragraph. I should specify that in my examples I am working off "y is directly proportional to x"

Hey, yes I get what you posted, so then the ratio is -y/x?

Original post by Reue
What does Mirin mean? :s

bae I have seen you post it on here and you were here on 2k5 meaning you were before the misc era.

mirin you, you are perf.
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
Hey, yes I get what you posted, so then the ratio is -y/x?

mirin you, you are perf.

In your case where you are saying a is directly proportional to -x then yes the constant of proportionality is equal to -a/x, whilst when I am saying a is dir prop to x then my constant of prop is a/x. At the end of the day we both describe the same relationship and I do understand your convention to deal only with positive constants of proportionality as this makes relationships clearer perhaps, but my relationship is still a correct one and personally I think minus signs look messy :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Reue
What does Mirin mean? :s

admiring.
Blocking your beta androceptors leads to fat gain, lethargy, low adrenaline, lack of sex drive and poor athletic performance. We should all let our inner beta run wild :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by WoodyMKC
Blocking your beta androceptors leads to fat gain, lethargy, low adrenaline, lack of sex drive and poor athletic performance. We should all let our inner beta run wild :biggrin:

what if you have a heart attack?
Original post by 16Characters....
In your case where you are saying a is directly proportional to -x then yes the constant of proportionality is equal to -a/x, whilst when I am saying a is dir prop to x then my constant of prop is a/x. At the end of the day we both describe the same relationship and I do understand your convention to deal only with positive constants of proportionality as this makes relationships clearer perhaps, but my relationship is still a correct one and personally I think minus signs look messy :smile:

Fair enough, you made it clear.

M3 edexcel?
Original post by JD1lla
what if you have a heart attack?

You'll just have to settle for mediocrity for the rest of your life :lol:

IMO alpha blockers are better than beta blockers in most respects, it's only where missing doses can lead to complications and coming off them is a hassle that doctors just realise it's easier to use beta blockers.
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
Fair enough, you made it clear.

M3 edexcel?

AQA physics and MEI Differential Equations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending