The Student Room Group

Do I need an art or design a level to apply for an art foundation course?

So basically I am choosing my a levels at the moment and really don't know what to do... I really enjoy academic subjects so was thinking of taking three of them: biology, geography and English. But I do love textiles gcse and didn't know whether by not continuing with it for a level, it would affect my chances of getting into art foundation course and perhaps go on to do interior design, if I decide that is the area I want to continue.
Original post by freya109
So basically I am choosing my a levels at the moment and really don't know what to do... I really enjoy academic subjects so was thinking of taking three of them: biology, geography and English. But I do love textiles gcse and didn't know whether by not continuing with it for a level, it would affect my chances of getting into art foundation course and perhaps go on to do interior design, if I decide that is the area I want to continue.

Technically no, you don't need an art based A level. One of my students did all sciences at A level before going off to do an art foundation course and then a degree in interior design. What you do need is a good portfolio. However, you need to have an answer to the question, 'Why, if you love art so much, did you not choose to do it for A level?' In his case, it was pushy parents expecting him to become a doctor. What is your reason? Why don't you want to do the thing you are considering doing at degree level for the next two years?
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Technically no, you don't need an art based A level. One of my students did all sciences at A level before going off to do an art foundation course and then a degree in interior design. What you do need is a good portfolio. However, you need to have an answer to the question, 'Why, if you love art so much, did you not choose to do it for A level?' In his case, it was pushy parents expecting him to become a doctor. What is your reason? Why don't you want to do the thing you are considering doing at degree level for the next two years?

I am very undecided about what I want to do for degree level. Interior design is just one of the few I am interested in. The trouble is all the ones I am looking at are so different (media, environmental studies) so I am finding it hard to choose a levels to fit all requirements. I feel academic subjects can be used more diversly in the future, and as I am unsure I feel they will keep my options as open as possible.
Original post by freya109

Hi Freya109!

I am currently a year 3 Ravensbourne student, and I understand that you are trying to keep your options wide and chosen academic subjects such as biology, geography and English.

That is a good way of thinking, however also remember that as you are trying to cover a broad area of study, it can also become less effective towards very specific courses such as interior design which is a very creative based course.

My advice is that by taking an A level in an art based subject you will have that as further support for your portfolio. It is great that you are thinking of a range of courses you can do, you seem open and giving as many choices to yourself as possible, so why not take an art based A level and continue giving yourself more of a fighting chance.

:smile: Like you, I also studied academic subjects maths, physics and psychology they are very science based topics but i always considered art on the side. Despite my heavy science based A-levels I had chosen Art at the very end having completed my art foundation and now study animation.The 2 years in A-level made me realise that I wanted a more carefree lifestyle, had I chosen another topic I may have been drawn towards another path.

You find that the more you study a subject the more you realise whether you want to continue pursuing it or dropping it, these all help towards your final decision, going into a creative industry they often want to see passion and that is why a portfolio is so important, often we are building upon ourselves inside and out of class. It is the consistency that interviewers want to see reflected in our work. I understand if you want to pick up another A level in substitution to keep your options open, but also consider the benefits of taking textiles further.

Although it is not technically required, some unis and courses may expect you to have an A-level in a relevant subject area
In order to be on the safe side, make sure you look at the requirements of the unis and foundation courses you are interested in and when in doubt contact them and check beforehand.
Give yourself the best chance possible, the more you know the better!

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Jay
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ravensbourne
Hi Freya109!

I am currently a year 3 Ravensbourne student, and I understand that you are trying to keep your options wide and chosen academic subjects such as biology, geography and English.

That is a good way of thinking, however also remember that as you are trying to cover a broad area of study, it can also become less effective towards very specific courses such as interior design which is a very creative based course.

My advice is that by taking an A level in an art based subject you will have that as further support for your portfolio. It is great that you are thinking of a range of courses you can do, you seem open and giving as many choices to yourself as possible, so why not take an art based A level and continue giving yourself more of a fighting chance.

:smile: Like you, I also studied academic subjects maths, physics and psychology they are very science based topics but i always considered art on the side. Despite my heavy science based A-levels I had chosen Art at the very end having completed my art foundation and now study animation.The 2 years in A-level made me realise that I wanted a more carefree lifestyle, had I chosen another topic I may have been drawn towards another path.

You find that the more you study a subject the more you realise whether you want to continue pursuing it or dropping it, these all help towards your final decision, going into a creative industry they often want to see passion and that is why a portfolio is so important, often we are building upon ourselves inside and out of class. It is the consistency that interviewers want to see reflected in our work. I understand if you want to pick up another A level in substitution to keep your options open, but also consider the benefits of taking textiles further.

Although it is not technically required, some unis and courses may expect you to have an A-level in a relevant subject area
In order to be on the safe side, make sure you look at the requirements of the unis and foundation courses you are interested in and when in doubt contact them and check beforehand.
Give yourself the best chance possible, the more you know the better!

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Jay

Thank you so much for your reply that was really helpful and really made me think. I am still looking into both the a level courses at the moment so haven't completely gone off for the idea of textiles. Thanks again xx
Reply 5
Possibly not art but i think it would require a design course

Quick Reply

Latest