The Student Room Group

A2 Help!!

Hey can someone help me with A2 Psychology I got a B in as and I'm predicted an A . But I'm finding it harder in terms of writing the essays I got back timed essays we did in class today and I got a E, D .
Can someone offer me any helpful tips thank you !!!
Original post by tracykimani
Hey can someone help me with A2 Psychology I got a B in as and I'm predicted an A . But I'm finding it harder in terms of writing the essays I got back timed essays we did in class today and I got a E, D .

I'm on Edexcel and my strategy gets me full marks in essays and assessments - it may not be as useful or relevant for other boards.

I have the specification. It states what you need to learn in bullet points i.e. "Describe and evaluate Freud's personality theory". This means that, in an exam, they can only ask you to describe and/or evaluate the theory. The maximum marks for a question on it is 12, and it would simply be: 'Describe and evaluate Freud's personality theory (12 marks)'. Using the mark scheme for this question, and/or your notes if you can't find the question, write a good model essay. Take it to your teacher to get feedback. Rewrite it. Continue until you have full marks for it. You should only really need to do one rewrite per essay, and once you've been getting feedback for a long period of time, you'll remmeber the points and eventually be able to write strong essays with no need to rewrite.

This sounds like a very tedious strategy but it's effective. When I have the full mark essays I make revision posters out of them and summary flashcards to help retaining them.

If you have the dedication to do this you'll get an A/A*.
Original post by beyknowles2
I'm on Edexcel and my strategy gets me full marks in essays and assessments - it may not be as useful or relevant for other boards.

I have the specification. It states what you need to learn in bullet points i.e. "Describe and evaluate Freud's personality theory". This means that, in an exam, they can only ask you to describe and/or evaluate the theory. The maximum marks for a question on it is 12, and it would simply be: 'Describe and evaluate Freud's personality theory (12 marks)'. Using the mark scheme for this question, and/or your notes if you can't find the question, write a good model essay. Take it to your teacher to get feedback. Rewrite it. Continue until you have full marks for it. You should only really need to do one rewrite per essay, and once you've been getting feedback for a long period of time, you'll remmeber the points and eventually be able to write strong essays with no need to rewrite.

This sounds like a very tedious strategy but it's effective. When I have the full mark essays I make revision posters out of them and summary flashcards to help retaining them.

This just reminds of how woefully lazy I was as a student.

I always felt that reading and learning the course specifications was effectively cheating (in the sense that they shouldn't be provided in that level of detail to the student), but then A-levels are just about learning and regurgitating information.
Original post by _Sinnie_
This just reminds of how woefully lazy I was as a student.

I always felt that reading and learning the course specifications was effectively cheating (in the sense that they shouldn't be provided in that level of detail to the student), but then A-levels are just about learning and regurgitating information.

Precisely ! Which is why I'm looking forward to uni because GCSE and A level has been so superficial.
Reply 4

Thank you so much for the advice I will define let do this , also how do you make your flash cards because I struggle with summarising my information on to the card and end up re writing everything
what exam board are you doing?
:smile:
Thank you so much for the advice I will define let do this , also how do you make your flash cards because I struggle with summarising my information on to the card and end up re writing everything

When I have the full mark essays, I highlight certain words that are important and use these on the flash cards so that just seeing one or two words brings a whole sentence/evaluative point to mind.
Reply 7
When I have the full mark essays, I highlight certain words that are important and use these on the flash cards so that just seeing one or two words brings a whole sentence/evaluative point to mind.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 8

I have exactly the same problem I also got a B and i'm retaking As to get it to an A. i recently got a U for my mocks. It can be hard to learn these essays as they are 2-3 pages long and it takes forever. I also found that flash cards take too long to make and don't really work a more effective way for me is to write down the key researchers and A02 and 2 or 3 words to use as prompts for the study. Memorise this and then use it as a prompt to write out your real essay.
this should help and if your doing flash cards it will only take up 1 or 2 per essay.
Reply 9
Thank you so much , really helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending