The Student Room Group

Best universities for economics with these grades

GCSEs : 7As 5Bs and a C
A levels: A for IT, B for economics, C for law, B for AS maths, A for AS Product Design and i im taking a gap year where i will do A2 Maths (A* predicted) and AS Further Maths (A predicted) while doing accounting work experience

What universities for economics can i apply to with these grades. What are my chances for the likes of Lse/Warwick economics which i know are extremely Competitive.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AwaisAli
A levels: A for IT, B for economics, C for law, B for AS maths, A for AS Product Design and i im taking a gap year where i will do A2 Maths (A* predicted) and AS Further Maths (A predicted) while doing accounting work experience

What universities for economics can i apply to with these grades. What are my chances for the likes of Lse/Warwick economics which i know are extremely Competitive.
Thanks

Warwick and LSE will be out of reach if i am honest (they are super competitve for economics) i think you should go for the likes of Queen Mary, Kings college London, Bristol (they are also very competitve) and some other decent universities for economics like nottingham and bath.
Reply 2
Original post by Ben130
Warwick and LSE will be out of reach if i am honest (they are super competitve for economics) i think you should go for the likes of Queen Mary, Kings college London, Bristol (they are also very competitve) and some other decent universities for economics like nottingham and bath.

Do i stand any chance for Warwick or LSE economics?
I agree with Ben130 in regards to LSE and Warwick, however, it may be tough to get into the other unis he suggested too. Without an A in Maths and Econ your application will look weak. Additionally, law, ICT and design are seen as 'soft' by unis so maths and Econ are really your only traditional subjects.

However, you mention you are taking a gap year and taking further maths- this is a really good thing and perhaps during your gap year you should retake your Maths and Econ exams and take up maybe one more traditional subject and just apply next year. Given your grades this would be s really good idea :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 4
Do i stand any chance for Warwick or LSE economics?

A very very small chance if i am honest i wouldnt apply to them if i were you but if you really want to go ahead.
But LSE normally like applicants with atleast 5A*s in GCSEs and i have not seen warwick give out an offer for straight economics in my school to anyone without an A in AS maths no matter what their A2 prediction was, they are super strict in such things.
Reply 5
Original post by Pradia
I agree with Ben130 in regards to LSE and Warwick, however, it may be tough to get into the other unis he suggested too. Without an A in Maths and Econ your application will look weak. Additionally, law, ICT and design are seen as 'soft' by unis so maths and Econ are really your only traditional subjects.

However, you mention you are taking a gap year and taking further maths- this is a really good thing and perhaps during your gap year you should retake your Maths and Econ exams and take up maybe one more traditional subject and just apply next year. Given your grades this would be s really good idea :smile:

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice im not too sure which extra subject to do could you give me a suggestion which one would be the most respected by universities?
Reply 6

Thanks

Any uni requiring AAB minimum.
Dont bother with Warwick and LSE these 2 universities for WAYYY too competitve for economics for you to stand a chance with those grades you are literally wasting 2 choices.
As Pradia mentioned you are doing very weak subjects and i would also suggest to pick up one more traditional subject like a science or a language. Then apply to Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, kings and QM or quite a few other decent ones like exeter surrey etc
Applying to LSE and Warwick both would be very very silly apply to one at most and even that would be pushing it. Personally i think your grades are decent so i suggest go for Queen Mary, SOAS, City, Exeter MAYBE kings college. I think if you get a contextual offer from bristol you will stand a decent chance.
I think the likes of bath, bristol, kings college, Or nottingham are the best you can do so i suggest pick 2 from these universities and i still think its unlikely for you to get an offer from them since they are very competitive and your grades are not up to their standards but you never know.
Dont waste your time with LSE/Warwick because for economics those universities are on a different level and quite frankly you have a better chance of going to the moon than getting into those 2 for economics with those subjects and grades.
Original post by Penner1990
I think the likes of bath, bristol, kings college, Or nottingham are the best you can do so i suggest pick 2 from these universities and i still think its unlikely for you to get an offer from them since they are very competitive and your grades are not up to their standards but you never know.
Dont waste your time with LSE/Warwick because for economics those universities are on a different level and quite frankly you have a better chance of going to the moon than getting into those 2 for economics with those subjects and grades.

That's quite harsh bro :I and yes I do agree with the LSE and Warwick part and those 2 being way too competitive for him to stand a chance but you shouldn't make comments like "You have a better chance of going to the moon" makes you seem very rude.
Original post by Irwanistaa
That's quite harsh bro :I and yes I do agree with the LSE and Warwick part and those 2 being way too competitive for him to stand a chance but you shouldn't make comments like "You have a better chance of going to the moon" makes you seem very rude.

ok maybe I came off as a bit harsh I do apologize to the OP if I offended him but I was just trying to be blunt as no point telling him to apply to Warwick/LSE for economics and waste 2 choices which we could have utilized a lot more that's just my opinion.
Thanks for the advice im not too sure which extra subject to do could you give me a suggestion which one would be the most respected by universities?

Well since you'll be doing Maths, further maths and Econ you'll already be in a good position so your fourth subject won't matter as much as long as it is one that is considered 'traditional' by unis. Physics may be good as it will be a further indicator of your mathematical ability but you could something you got an A in for GCSE or enjoy more.
I think you should go for the likes of QM, Bristol, SOAS, City and maybe kings college and Nottingham. I am a Nottingham economics student despite my 4As at AS in Maths, FM, Economics and Physics and predictions of A*A*AA I was rejected by LSE due to my GCSEs (I only had 3 A*s) and also Warwicks Maths department withdrew my application due to my Low grade in S1 atleast that's what the feedback was from these 2. So don't be disheartened but applying to both of these universities would be silly to be quite frank but still I wish you all the best!
Reply 14
Original post by Pradia
Well since you'll be doing Maths, further maths and Econ you'll already be in a good position so your fourth subject won't matter as much as long as it is one that is considered 'traditional' by unis. Physics may be good as it will be a further indicator of your mathematical ability but you could something you got an A in for GCSE or enjoy more.

I am applying to UCL now instead of LSE and Warwick since i was told that LSE and Warwick for econ both were getting like 20+ apps per place and those are just ridiculously competitve where UCL ones were about 12 apps per place which is still competitve as hell but less competitve than Warwick/LSE what do you reckon my chances are with UCL with or without an additonal traditional subject?
Thanks!
I am applying to UCL now instead of LSE and Warwick since i was told that LSE and Warwick for econ both were getting like 20+ apps per place and those are just ridiculously competitve where UCL ones were about 12 apps per place which is still competitve as hell but less competitve than Warwick/LSE what do you reckon my chances are with UCL with or without an additonal traditional subject?
Thanks!

I'm at UCL studying Eco, it's not far off in terms of competition from Warwick, so perhaps it could be ur highest one, but i rather be honest and say its better to be safe because economics is compettive in most universities (popular subject)

Notts is strong in eco, unis like Notts, manchester, queen mary, cardiff, southampton are all good unis
Thanks!

UCL Econ and Stats is less competitive than UCL Econ, and i know quite a few people who got your grades for gcse and are at UCL, but beware the degree is predominantly focused on stats rather than econ
Original post by siddyt1234
I'm at UCL studying Eco, it's not far off in terms of competition from Warwick, so perhaps it could be ur highest one, but i rather be honest and say its better to be safe because economics is compettive in most universities (popular subject)

Notts is strong in eco, unis like Notts, manchester, queen mary, cardiff, southampton are all good unis

Not sure if i agree with that, this year the competition at Warwick was absolutely ridiculous for economics and i know that warwick only had one less app per place for Econ Than LSE since my uncles friends is an admissions tutor at warwick and he knows fair bit about the competition for most universities when it comes to economics. I applied for both UCL and Warwick for economics and while i got an A*AA offer from UCL i was rejected straight away from Warwick (im currently studying economics at Durham). All the other bits i agree with you economics is indeed a very popular subject
Reply 18
I applied to warwick (economics) and LSE (Economics and Economic History). I had 7 A and 4Bs at GCSE, and AABB at AS in Economics, History, Maths and Biology respectively (A*AA prediction). Do I have any chance of getting an offer with these grades?
Original post by mk_98
I applied to warwick (economics) and LSE (Economics and Economic History). I had 7 A and 4Bs at GCSE, and AABB at AS in Economics, History, Maths and Biology respectively (A*AA prediction). Do I have any chance of getting an offer with these grades?

I think your AS grades are fine for lse economics and economic history provided you write a brilliant personal statement since lse only ask for AAB, but since you applied to straight economics for warwick it might be a bit tough since you got a B in AS Maths and they do love students with further maths, and most guys here (i am stuyding economics at warwick) seem to have A*A* in maths and FM but again write a banging PS and they might give you an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending