The Student Room Group

Help with history questions

I know GCSE to AS level to a big jump, however, I am struggling to find a good technique to answer history questions with.
My teacher says I need to use more evidence in my work ... I am not sure on how I can increase the amount of data/backup evidence I add to my essays. I require tips regarding backing up my opinions in my essays (evidence/data etc.) I lack detailed answers and I am not sure on how I can fix this, any ideas?

I am studying edexcel Britain and the USA in the twentieth century
1918-1997

Thank you if you can help me out.
Reply 1
You just got to keep practicing many questions until you master it. Ask your teacher to go through the question u don't know how to include more evidence
referencing other historians views is very useful as you can say the historian believes this and that supports my own theory. well thats what i was told anyway.
The structure I always use when answering questions in History:
1. Point
2. Evidence so a certain event linking with the question
3. Arguing why that point is significant
4. How this links with the question

I don’t know wether this will help at all :smile:
Reply 4
Can i send to you my year 13 essays that were marked by my history teachers at the time? they were mostly level 4, she points out what makes a solid essay in her assessment
Original post by ogiroud
You just got to keep practicing many questions until you master it. Ask your teacher to go through the question u don't know how to include more evidence

I am practicing quite a bit, there is a lot to learn in the topic I'm doing... a lot of information I need to include.
Original post by MJlover
Can i send to you my year 13 essays that were marked by my history teachers at the time? they were mostly level 4, she points out what makes a solid essay in her assessment

Sure that would be very helpful, I would appreciate that a lot!
Original post by chelseafreak
referencing other historians views is very useful as you can say the historian believes this and that supports my own theory. well thats what i was told anyway.

Should you reference the historian's name/s or not?
Original post by jojo10834
The structure I always use when answering questions in History:
1. Point
2. Evidence so a certain event linking with the question
3. Arguing why that point is significant
4. How this links with the question

I don’t know wether this will help at all :smile:

Thanks,which level are you at currently using this method? I have been trying to use a similar method however I keep getting Ds consistently, I mean I got a good argument it's just the quantity of evidence I add in my essays, i'm not sure on how I put all of it in.
Original post by HistoricalTruth
Should you reference the historian's name/s or not?

you should or you risk of being accused of plagiarizing
Original post by MJlover
Here are my year 13 essays:

Thank you!
Original post by HistoricalTruth
Thanks,which level are you at currently using this method? I have been trying to use a similar method however I keep getting Ds consistently, I mean I got a good argument it's just the quantity of evidence I add in my essays, i'm not sure on how I put all of it in.

I’m currently doing my A2’s so I'm doing coursework right now and have been getting level fives using this method, for the quantity of evidence just mention your point then without storytelling, include the key points of this point that fits around the question but keep being analytical about it.

Quick Reply

Latest