The Student Room Group

Most difficult A-Level subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Hardest- Business studies; French-Spanish are both easy.
Is english literature THAT bad? You guys are scaring me o.O
What do you do in the first year?
Original post by geniequeen48

I'm finding Lit alright, we're still reading the texts. We had some essays to write, but mainly the homework is to read and fill in a summary for each chapter/scene of the texts. A lot of the lesson time consists of discussing ideas and theories.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm finding Lit alright, we're still reading the texts. We had some essays to write, but mainly the homework is to read and fill in a summary for each chapter/scene of the texts. A lot of the lesson time consists of discussing ideas and theories.

What exam board are you with? I'm with OCR and I wish I had AQA...
Original post by Rhythmical
What exam board are you with? I'm with OCR and I wish I had AQA...

I have AQA, we're doing Othello, Death of a Salesman and Tess of the d'Urbervilles
i do chemistry, physics, biology and maths
Hardest:
chemistry
physics
biology
maths
I have AQA, we're doing Othello, Death of a Salesman and Tess of the d'Urbervilles

See I'd love to do that. I'm doing The History Boys and The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories at the moment. I don't like Carter's feminist approach.

Ohh okay.
I do Further Maths, Maths, Physics and economics. Thats the order of difficulty.
Original post by geniequeen48

Nah English Lit is quite fun and doable. I did an open book exam on poetry and drama (Carol Ann Duffy and Sheenagh Pugh plus Arthur Miller's Broken Glass) along with coursework on The Great Gatsby and Daisy Miller and "Creative Reading" with commentary on your own work. (I got to write a short story based on 1984, was great fun). But naturally it will vary a lot, not just in terms of the texts but the general structure (I did WJEC). And I don't know if English will have coursework now, not sure what the A level changes are exactly.
See I'd love to do that. I'm doing The History Boys and The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories at the moment. I don't like Carter's feminist approach.

I'm really enjoying the texts we're doing, I'm definitely getting into it and I'm gradually understanding Hardy's (wrote Tess) vocabulary and writing style better.
I'm really enjoying the texts we're doing, I'm definitely getting into it and I'm gradually understanding Hardy's (wrote Tess) vocabulary and writing style better.

I enjoyed the History Boys, at first I didn't but now we've finished it and it hit home for me, it was remarkable. I think we are reading the Tempest soon as well. Do you have mocks in December? Our teachers have got the new specimen papers and sample ones for us as it's the new specification.
I enjoyed the History Boys, at first I didn't but now we've finished it and it hit home for me, it was remarkable. I think we are reading the Tempest soon as well. Do you have mocks in December? Our teachers have got the new specimen papers and sample ones for us as it's the new specification.

You're lucky with The Tempest. Was so easy to write about as almost any question can be reduced to a discussion of power. :colondollar:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You're lucky with The Tempest. Was so easy to write about as almost any question can be reduced to a discussion of power. :colondollar:

Hopefully it is easy for me, I can't wait for coursework next year. Are you doing Language as well?
Hopefully it is easy for me, I can't wait for coursework next year. Are you doing Language as well?

I'm a first year university student who has a conspicuous amount of time to kill and I did English Lit.
I'm a first year university student who has a conspicuous amount of time to kill and I did English Lit.

Aw what are you studying? My plan is an English BA but one of my teachers is saying don't do that and do something in screen writing as its my dream job currently. I won't listen to her, I'd rather study English.
Aw what are you studying? My plan is an English BA but one of my teachers is saying don't do that and do something in screen writing as its my dream job currently. I won't listen to her, I'd rather study English.

Maths. To be fair surely English can help you get into screen writing?
Like many people have stated, additional further maths is insane. It forces you to complete the latter mechanics modules. I don't have any experience with it, but I've heard that M5 specifically is known to be the hardest thing one can do in life.

I've dabbled into maths, further maths, physics, economics in chemistry (dropped chemistry for further maths).

1.) Chemistry (I dropped it because a: I didn't find it interesting and b: I subsequently found it difficult)
2.) Physics (some of signalling was pretty difficult, but overall it's not too bad)
3.) Further maths (interesting content which overrules any potential difficulty)
4.) Maths (combinatorics can die in a fire, but the rest is fine)
5.) Economics (only slightly more difficult than GCSE business studies, which I suspect will change soon)
Maths. To be fair surely English can help you get into screen writing?

It should land me into better jobs than a degree in screen writing. I want an English degree to unlock several career opportunities. There's a lot you can do with a degree like that.
A-levels:
~easiest~Polish, English Lit, Media Studies, French, Psychology ~hardest~

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest