The Student Room Group

Number of A levels for Cambridge

Are 4/5 a levels needed to have a decent chance at getting into Cambridge, or can I just do well 3 on and still be in for the running
(edited 8 years ago)
i doubt you'd be at an advantage by doing 4 a-levels. having A*A*A* in three A-Levels is better than having A*ABB in four. if you want to be certain, why don't you email the admissions tutor ?
Original post by Jms2407
Are 4/5 a levels needed to have a decent chance at getting into Cambridge, or can I just do well on 3 on and still be in for the running

There's no minimum required number of A Levels. A lot of people will be taking 4 (and to a lesser extent, 5) A Levels but you shouldn't be disadvantaged by only taking 3. Having said that, most successful Cambridge applicants probably would be capable of doing 4 A Levels.
Reply 3
Original post by Jms2407
Are 4/5 a levels needed to have a decent chance at getting into Cambridge, or can I just do well 3 on and still be in for the running

Three is fine and the Cambridge typical offer is for 3, but most applicants do have four. 5 is definitely unnecessary.

As others have mentioned Cambridge is much more interested in quality than quantity.

Which course are you considering?
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Three is fine and the Cambridge typical offer is for 3, but most applicants do have four. 5 is definitely unnecessary.

As others have mentioned Cambridge is much more interested in quality than quantity.

Which course are you considering?

Uhhhh, I'm not sure yet, I'm thinking something Mathematical(possibly pure) but this is pretty early days and I'm still deciding sixth form where some sixth forms only allow you to take 3 and I'm just curious as to if this would be a disadvantage:P
Reply 5
Do you know how I could contact the admissions tutor?
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
There's no minimum required number of A Levels. A lot of people will be taking 4 (and to a lesser extent, 5) A Levels but you shouldn't be disadvantaged by only taking 3. Having said that, most successful Cambridge applicants probably would be capable of doing 4 A Levels.

It's not as much incapability as it is some sixth forms only allowing me to take 3. Do you know if it's like how selective colleges only look at your top 7/8 GCSEs or will they take all of your a levels into consideration as opposed to the top 3?
Reply 7
Original post by Jms2407
Uhhhh, I'm not sure yet, I'm thinking something Mathematical(possibly pure) but this is pretty early days and I'm still deciding sixth form where some sixth forms only allow you to take 3 and I'm just curious as to if this would be a disadvantage:P

If it's something mathematical (e.g maths or engineering) it would be a good idea (and necessary if you are considering pure maths) to do both Maths & Further Maths for Cambridge. Some sixth forms then expect you to take 2 more a-levels (some don't).

For a Maths degree 3 A-levels really are sufficient and the uni is pretty much only interested in your maths performance.
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
If it's something mathematical (e.g maths or engineering) it would be a good idea (and necessary if you are considering pure maths) to do both Maths & Further Maths for Cambridge. Some sixth forms then expect you to take 2 more a-levels (some don't).

For a Maths degree 3 A-levels really are sufficient and the uni is pretty much only interested in your maths performance.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Do you know if the 3rd a level should be something mathematical(computer science, physics, etc) or whether it could be something like German or Economics?
Reply 9
Original post by Jms2407
Do you know how I could contact the admissions tutor?

Peterhouse and Christ's College admissions tutors host q&a threads at various stages during the year - you can ask them questions then. I think Christ's will have one early next year.

Or email the admissions department at any college. The colleges handle the admissions processes, not the university.
Reply 10
Original post by Jms2407
Okay, thanks for the advice. Do you know if the 3rd a level should be something mathematical(computer science, physics, etc) or whether it could be something like German or Economics?

Most do physics - but it doesn't really matter that much. Someone in the 2016 Applicants thread is doing M&FM & French & Art... (self-teaching FM).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
Peterhouse and Christ's College admissions tutors host q&a threads at various stages during the year - you can ask them questions then. I think Christ's will have one early next year.

Or email the admissions department at any college. The colleges handle the admissions processes, not the university.

Ok, got it. Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
Most do physics - but it doesn't really matter that much. Someone in the 2016 Applicants thread is doing M&FM & French & Art... (self-teaching FM).

Jesussssss, who teaches themselves FM. Ah good, I'm better at physics. Are GCSEs taken into account with you application or is that only Oxford?
Reply 13
Original post by Jms2407
Jesussssss, who teaches themselves FM. Ah good, I'm better at physics. Are GCSEs taken into account with you application or is that only Oxford?

GCSEs are not that important for Cambridge except for some courses (notably Medicine).

Also, to be fair to Oxford, they don't rely on GCSEs as much as many people think - they use pre-interview as a major part of their interview selection process and interview fewer applicants as a result.

Cambridge interviews approx >80% of applicants.

And for Maths the key deciding factor are the STEP exams.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves - you haven't yet taken GCSEs so best thing is to do well at that to set yourself up well for A-levels. Don't worry too much about uni yet :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by jneill
GCSEs are not that important for Cambridge except for some courses (notably Medicine).

Also, to be fair to Oxford, they don't rely on GCSEs as much as many people think - they use pre-interview as a major part of their interview selection process and interview fewer applicants as a result.

Cambridge interviews approx >80% of applicants.

And for Maths the key deciding factor are the STEP exams.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves - you haven't yet taken GCSEs so best thing is to do well at that to set yourself up well for A-levels. Don't worry too much about uni yet :smile:

This thread was largely to help me decide on the sixth form that I want to go to. So thanks, it was useful.
Reply 15
Original post by Jms2407
This thread was largely to help me decide on the sixth form that I want to go to. So thanks, it was useful.

Glad to help.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jms2407

If you are thinking of applying for Maths/Engineering/Computer Science then it is your performance in Maths, FM & Physics that really matter. However for anybody capable of these degrees at Cambridge they would expect you to be capable of near full UMS in Maths whilst still only regarding Maths & FM as equivalent to the workload of one A level.
If you decided you wanted to do NatSci then four A levels would be far more normal Many used to do five science/maths at AS but I'm not sure how the new structure will change this. It is restricting to apply for NatSci without Chemistry so this would make it a sensible fourth subject, as your interests may change in sixth form.

Finally if you enjoy Maths then the Cambridge Economics degree may appeal to you. Whilst doing Economics at A-level is not needed a fourth A level is usual and Chemistry would be fine.
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
That's reassuring I am doing 7.

Thats good, I'm doing 12. But should I be doing more, I mean I am already predicted 8A* and 4A's.
Reply 18
Original post by MusabHasan
Thats good, I'm doing 12. But should I be doing more, I mean I am already predicted 8A* and 4A's.

GCSEs or A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jms2407

YES.

No Uni insists on more than 3 A levels.
And getting A*A*A* will always be a better look than AAAB.
Always.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending