The Student Room Group

Most difficult A-Level subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Spanish, Psychology, RS. Easiest to hardest.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Easiest to hardest: Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Chemistry

Taking all these for AS level and for A2 probably.. Honestly further maths is not too hard, for AS anyway, I am sure A2 is going to be harder and I covered most of C1 in add math in GCSE so Maths is not a challenge aswell. Chem and Physics are defo harder for me personally
Reply 182
History, Math (but mechanics is pretty tough), English Literature, Spanish.

Anyone have advice on study A Level Spanish (or a language)?
Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics (Easiest to Hardest)
Rule of thumb is, if you're passionate and in the top 1% of your year for Mathematics, Further maths is not a big deal.
The biggest effect from Further Maths in my opinion is making normal maths look piss easy by comparison.

Physics is more challenging for a few reasons: all the interesting/exciting stuff about physics has been dragged out of the course, so motivation to give it necessary devotion is more challenging as a result. Also it takes time to fully understand how the concepts tie up and work in principle.

Chemistry is over-rated I believe, sure there's a lot of stuff to remember and know ( I mean a lot), but if you give it enough attention (especially as all the concepts inter-link) then it's really not as impossible as people say.

So in conclusion don't be put off if you're hard-working enough...:biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 185
Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology.
From easiest to hardest.
Biology and chemistry can be learnt and memorised as long as you put the effort in, whereas in physics and maths is a lot more theory application, if it doesn't come naturally to you, you're kinda screwed, it's not a syllabus you can memorise and ace the exams.
Easiest - hardest:

History, Sociology, Music
Reply 187
Original post by 123456789012
Rank your A-Level subjects in order of difficulty (i.e. easiest to hardest).

N.B. I have attached an image of the ranking of A-Level subjects in order of difficulty. How far do you agree with it?

I think its pretty accurate... But I do think that French is a little easier than Spanish. That's just my personal opinion though.
Original post by Pilate VII
Rule of thumb is, if you're passionate and in the top 1% of your year for Mathematics, Further maths is not a big deal.
The biggest effect from Further Maths in my opinion is making normal maths look piss easy by comparison.

Physics is more challenging for a few reasons: all the interesting/exciting stuff about physics has been dragged out of the course, so motivation to give it necessary devotion is more challenging as a result. Also it takes time to fully understand how the concepts tie up and work in principle.

Chemistry is over-rated I believe, sure there's a lot of stuff to remember and know ( I mean a lot), but if you give it enough attention (especially as all the concepts inter-link) then it's really not as impossible as people say.

Spoiler

So true about Physics A2. AS was so interesting that I liked learning about it, A2 is just a drag/
I guess it's quite subjective! Like I'm terrible at sports, so P.E. A level would be impossible for me :colondollar:
Easiest to hardest would be Maths, Computing, Chemistry, Biology
Original post by Pilate VII

Spoiler

This is really true. Couldn't have put it better myself.
With the graph, I don't think languages should be separated. German is certainly incredibly difficult at A Level due to its... quite frankly ridiculous.. grammar system, and I am given to believe French increases in difficulty too with regards to tenses + moods, so I think separating them is unnecessary.

Mine>

Sociology [easiest]
Philosophy
German [hardest]
Easiest to hardest:
Sociology, Politics, Psychology, English Literature
I personally find English Lit tough, might just be my exam board though as AQA are horrendous for English Lit. I've heard complaints from Chemistry, Biology at my school. For me History is logical and mechanical so once you pick up essay technique you're pretty much fine, same with sociology. It's just English that kills me.
Kind of a pointless argument here: people are different and find different things more or less difficult.
Although I did choose Films Studies, Photography and Maths so according to this chart I must be stupid :cool:
Original post by Ahmed766
Music is harder than Economics? Bruh u trippin

Music Studies, yes.

Unless you want to learn about the polyphonic textures of Baroque chamber music or write in the notes to complex symphonies, then I wouldn't take music.
My most difficult in order are:
Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Maths.
Reply 198
Original post by Will98765
Economics, Business Studies, Computing

This is so far so don't rape me for saying Economics is easier than Business Studies :colondollar:

i do same subjects and i agree with your ranking XD
Media, Photography, History and English Lit.

Media felt difficult because it was pointless and the teacher was crap.

Photography was hard and strenuous, but felt like a breeze because it was so enjoyable.

History is fun to analyse and cross reference all the resources. Perfectly challenging.

English Lit is just a mind****. Literally a mind****. You can never do well in it.

Quick Reply

Latest