The Student Room Group

Is 20GB/month worth of Internet Data enough?

This poll is closed

Is 20GB worth of Internet data enough?

Yes 39%
No61%
Total votes: 18
Hi,

I recently signed a 1 month contract with 3 for 20GB/month worth of internet data for £23/month. Would the 20GB last me for 1 month if I use the internet on my laptop for: 1) steam. 2) YouTube. 3) emails. 4) work/revision. 5) tsr/other forums.

How long can I expect that 20GB to last roughly?

I've only signed a 1 month contract with 3 as I'm waiting for Sky to send an engineer fix the fault line outside my house next week Friday. I know I could have waited but I need to submit UCAS app/plan & start revision early etc.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're revising for summer exams now?
Original post by BaronK

Yes, there is no harm in revising now for summer exams.
Starting early leaves less stress and work to cover closer to the exams.

I'm aiming for all As.
Hands down, that's one of the worst broadband deals that I've ever seen.
Reply 4
Original post by BaronK

Pretty much every other students that want A*/A have already started revision. Its extremely crucial to start now.
i tried that same deal that you got from 3, due to the fact that i moved house and was gonna have to wait roughly a month before the virgin media people came to install my internet. the data should be enough for numbers: 3, 4 and 5 however streaming hd videos really uses a lot of data especially apps like netflix which can use as much as 1 gb of data per hour of streaming. i'm not one hundred percent about steam (i'm assuming its for online gaming). however playing on the ps4 uses about 100mb an hour for cod, 30ishmb for fifa;so it depends on the game i guess. youtube uses a fair bit of data but you should be alright if you put the image resolution to about 240p/360p. for revising you should be alright as surfing the internet uses 30ish mb an hour.
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
Pretty much every other students that want A*/A have already started revision. Its extremely crucial to start now.

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Yes, there is no harm in revising now for summer exams.
Starting early leaves less stress and work to cover closer to the exams.

I'm aiming for all As.

You guys are clearly really keen but I guess that's a good thing rather than bad. And, you don't need to start now really. I perhaps started no more than 2 months before and got AAB.
Reply 7
Original post by BaronK
You guys are clearly really keen but I guess that's a good thing rather than bad. And, you don't need to start now really. I perhaps started no more than 2 months before and got AAB.

Not everyone is you, and lots may be doing subject with a lot of content. I need to cover all of A2 before January so I can prepare for STEP entrance exam.
It depends how much you're streaming. If you like watching movies, then I highly doubt it will last - especially alongside browsing. Can't you just get another unlimited broadband installed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by kkboyk
Not everyone is you, and lots may be doing subject with a lot of content. I need to cover all of A2 before January so I can prepare for STEP entrance exam.

Everyone of my subjects had a lot of content m8
I recently signed a 1 month contract with 3 for 20GB/month worth of internet data for £23/month. Would the 20GB last me for 1 month if I use the internet on my laptop for: 1) steam. 2) YouTube. 3) emails. 4) work/revision. 5) tsr/other forums.

Unless you're in the habit of emailing / being emailed videos, the only two that will use any significant chunk of that are Steam and YouTube... and Steam is only going to be a big issue if you download games / updates.

So... how much do you love YouTube? Can you do your video streaming at a library (ideally with headphones!)?
Reply 11
I have unlimited fast broadband+TV+telephone for that price.
Reply 12
Original post by BaronK
Everyone of my subjects had a lot of content m8

If you're on about the subject (and not the people), then so do mine. But my point still stands.
Original post by unprinted
Unless you're in the habit of emailing / being emailed videos, the only two that will use any significant chunk of that are Steam and YouTube... and Steam is only going to be a big issue if you download games / updates.

So... how much do you love YouTube? Can you do your video streaming at a library (ideally with headphones!)?

What about watching twitch streams? Would that drain a significant amount of data really quickly or?
Hi,

How long can I expect that 20GB to last roughly?

I've only signed a 1 month contract with 3 as I'm waiting for Sky to send an engineer fix the fault line outside my house next week Friday. I know I could have waited but I need to submit UCAS app/plan & start revision early etc.

It depends on how much you watch Youtube and if you download games in the next few days. If you download a game you might burn through the whole lot in one go.
Original post by kkboyk

Even for AS?
Reply 16
Original post by Kyou
Even for AS?

Yeah (only if you've already finished a module, but better to revise for the topics you've already covered and practice) as it means you don't have to worry much when exam approach and be more confident. It's what I did for Maths: I covered two whole modules before December, and focused on my other subjects more (as I struggle with them), then a week before the exam I recapped them and got an A on both modules easily.
Original post by kkboyk
Yeah (only if you've already finished a module, but better to revise for the topics you've already covered and practice) as it means you don't have to worry much when exam approach and be more confident. It's what I did for Maths: I covered two whole modules before December, and focused on my other subjects more (as I struggle with them), then a week before the exam I recapped them and got an A on both modules easily.

Yeah I am extremely confident with C1 to the point I can get an A with no effort, so I may use your approach as I struggle with Bio/Phys more (LOTS TO REMEMBER). Thanks :smile:
One moment , here : http://prntscr.com/92u8xr/ I reset it as well lmao
Reply 19
Original post by Kyou
Yeah I am extremely confident with C1 to the point I can get an A with no effort, so I may use your approach as I struggle with Bio/Phys more (LOTS TO REMEMBER). Thanks :smile:

It will make it much easier if you cover it all first, especially since you have to do an ISA/EMPA practical for those subject around March.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending