The Student Room Group

Western Islamophobia and racism, caused the events last night, we need to admit this

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlwaysWatching
You cant be a citizen of a country, or even have it as your homeland if you have only ever been there on holiday. Even if you have family who live there, they aren't you. You is what counts, not anybody else.

Say what? You're getting ahead of yourself now
Original post by queen-bee
Say what? You're getting ahead of yourself now

No I'm not. Read again.
No I'm not. Read again.

I can say I'm Syrian because my family are Syrian. I don't have to be born there.
Original post by Sales89
For the past 5 years Muslims have been treated like dirt. They are given the worst housing

Where is your proof for this?

Original post by Sales89
worst jobs

Job discrimination is possible, I wont deny that.

Original post by Sales89
they're not giving good enough benefits to support their families, they have been given 10% when they require 100%.

Where is your proof that there is a discrimination within the benefit system that only gives Muslims 10% of what they are entitled to?

Original post by Sales89
Being a Muslims walking down the street on being on a bus, how do you think that feels? with people looking at you like your different.

I'm sure a punk with colourful hair gets stared at just as much walking down the street. Some Muslims do tend to dress in a way that does attract attention (a niqab for example). If one chooses to wear a niqab, they do so knowing that they are going to attract attention.

Original post by Sales89
Now, Muslims have become tired of Islamohpobic comments and free speech laws. Free speech which allows our prophet to be called a child abuser, free speech on the Qu'ran being intolerant, free speech on Muslim men who have been framed by white women on 'grooming gangs' when they were innocent. Why wouldn't people want to lash out.

So their problem is people making critical comments of their religion? The irony here is that you are using your free speech at the same time as criticising free speech. If you really don't like free speech, feel free to boycott free speech and don't post such trite on TSR. Nothing should be beyond criticism.

Original post by Sales89
I remember when I lived in Cornwall and had to contend with a huge Union Jack outside the neighbours home, he never spoke to us at all.

I too used to have a neighbour having a huge Union Jack in his back garden, and he never spoke to me either. I don't see what point you are trying to make here.

Original post by Sales89
The attacks last night occurred because of racism from the likes of UKIP, who want to control the boarders and disallow Muslims jobs and benefits.

Well, such an attack would be highly counter-productive if it was done in the name of protesting against the control of borders. It appears that one of those involved in the attack was among the refugees, and thus his involvement in this attack will do more damage to the future of millions of refugees than UKIP or racism ever could do. They have single handedly done more damage to Muslims in the West than any racist comments, anti-immigration or anti-Muslim comments could ever do.

So if the interests of Muslims are your main priority, you would be criticising vocally the attackers, as they are going to cause a drive to the right and further intolerance towards Muslims and refugees in the West.

Original post by Sales89
Muslims refugees have been put in concentration camps and not welcomed either.

The same has happened in Muslim countries too. It is not because they are Muslim. It is because they are coming in huge numbers. Palestinian refugees in Lebanon have been stuck in these so called "concentration camps" for 50 years or so, with no sign of ever being welcomed, who are banned from a plethora of careers, receive constant discrimination, who the law prohibits them from owning a property, are deprived of access to health care and also Palestinians trying to escape Syria have been prevented from crossing the border. But of course you would turn a blind eye to all of this.

Original post by Sales89
If people keep their mouths closed this wouldn't happen. If you are brave enough, say your Islamophobic thoughts to a Muslims face and see what happpens instead of sitting behind a screen or writing your opinions on youtube.

there is a time, place and platform for debate and criticism, but as long as it takes place through the appropriate medium, I believe any topic should be open to criticism. An appropriate medium would be a debate forum like this, a newspaper, a scholarly journal etc... If one is easily offended and does not wish to hear this debate, then they can simply avoid and turn a blind eye to it. The school playground, on the street, on public transport etc... I would not regard these as appropriate places to engage in criticising someone. People using this forum are using a legitimate medium through which to express their views, opinions and criticisms. I see nothing wrong with that.

You are calling for people to walk up to Muslims on the street and voice their criticisms. You are calling for the harassment of Muslims in public... Again, you show yourself to care for the interests of Muslims.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 204
Original post by Sales89
For the past 5 years Muslims have been treated like dirt. They are given the worst housing, worst jobs, they're not giving good enough benefits to support their families, they have been given 10% when they require 100%.

Being a Muslims walking down the street on being on a bus, how do you think that feels? with people looking at you like your different. Now, Muslims have become tired of Islamohpobic comments and free speech laws. Free speech which allows our prophet to be called a child abuser, free speech on the Qu'ran being intolerant, free speech on Muslim men who have been framed by white women on 'grooming gangs' when they were innocent. Why wouldn't people want to lash out.

I remember when I lived in Cornwall and had to contend with a huge Union Jack outside the neighbours home, he never spoke to us at all.

The attacks last night occurred because of racism from the likes of UKIP, who want to control the boarders and disallow Muslims jobs and benefits.

Muslims refugees have been put in concentration camps and not welcomed either.

If people keep their mouths closed this wouldn't happen. If you are brave enough, say your Islamophobic thoughts to a Muslims face and see what happpens instead of sitting behind a screen or writing your opinions on youtube.

Amen! I go to a Church of England school which is predominantly white elite class people... im a muslim girl from the higher end of working class and people are sooo racist and ive encountered countless number of remarks which everyone laughs off and thinks im not offended like we will be having a discussion and one of the guys will say "Oh have you heard on the news what else the muslims have blown up" He makes it sound like a question and then smurks! Everyone else just laughs and is like haha very funny.... Furthermore when people approach me and ask questions I am happy to answer.... i dont get why people have to hide behind a screeen...
I can say I'm Syrian because my family are Syrian. I don't have to be born there.

Yes, I'm quite certain you do. Research it.
Yes, I'm quite certain you do. Research it.

Anyway point I was making yesterday was that we shouldn't blame all Muslims for what happened. Not even the Muslims themselves like ISIS, everybody hates them with passion.
Anyway point I was making yesterday was that we shouldn't blame all Muslims for what happened. Not even the Muslims themselves like ISIS, everybody hates them with passion.

I haven't suggested otherwise.
I haven't suggested otherwise.

I hope not
I hope not

I pointed out that Arab countries are far more racist than any western European country, and that you should empathise in the reasoning why people dislike certain branches of Islam. You need to understand why people are getting pissed off, not simply dismiss them. Calling people Islamophobic is not only meaningless, but intellectually lazy.
I pointed out that Arab countries are far more racist than any western European country, and that you should empathise in the reasoning why people dislike certain branches of Islam. You need to understand why people are getting pissed off, not simply dismiss them. Calling people Islamophobic is not only meaningless, but intellectually lazy.

Why wouldn't people be pissed off? A lot of people have just lost their lives,it's a big deal. i empathise for sure but I'm not going around an blaming 1.6 billion Muslims because of the actions of some.
Why wouldn't people be pissed off? A lot of people have just lost their lives,it's a big deal. i empathise for sure but I'm not going around an blaming 1.6 billion Muslims because of the actions of some.

Nobody here on this thread has blamed 1.6 billion Muslims. You're the one who came up with the idea and first mentioned it. Nobody else.
Nobody here on this thread has blamed 1.6 billion Muslims. You're the one who came up with the idea and first mentioned it. Nobody else.

So what were you trying to imply?
Reply 213

Ahh, the good old Moderate Muslim majority

So what were you trying to imply?

I was implying that people are getting pissed off with a politicised version of wahhabism Islam that, though clearly not all Muslims follow, has a significant proportion of Muslim followers, and more that sympathise with it. But whenever somebody speaks out about this they get shut down and called racist/ Islamophobic and accused of attacking all 1.6 billion Muslims, as you have shown in this thread.

Nobody is blaming moderate Muslims. What they are blaming is certain aspects of Islamic theology, and those that subscribe to it.
I was implying that people are getting pissed off with a politicised version of wahhabism Islam that, though clearly not all Muslims follow, has a significant proportion of Muslim followers, and more that sympathise with it. But whenever somebody speaks out about this they get shut down and called racist/ Islamophobic and accused of attacking all 1.6 billion Muslims, as you have shown in this thread.

Nobody is blaming moderate Muslims. What they are blaming is certain aspects of Islamic theology, and those that subscribe to it.

You weren't being clear so apologies if I have misinterpreted you as you were coming across as hostile and defensive
You weren't being clear so apologies if I have misinterpreted you as you were coming across as hostile and defensive

Likewise I apologise to you for the same.
I disagree with the argument in the "topic". I do not think that the only culprit can be taken as the Islamophobic attitudes or behaviours. They might have played their part, but still that also must have some causes for itself.

Violence has never been scarce in the Middle East, for years. In my view, "bigotry" of all types is the common real enemy of a peaceful world, where people truly respect each other and enjoy to live together, and where critical thought -as opposed to religious bigotry- prevails.
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you noticed that Islam declared war on the rest BEFORE the backlash happened?
Yes white racists definitely have a part to play.

It's funny how the always generalise others while brushing aside generalisations that can also be made of them like racism, mass shootings, pedophilia, and oppression.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending