The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
He'll return for deadline day in Jan so that Wenger doesn't loan another Kallstrom

Tbh I'd take Kallstrom over Arteta and Flamini
Would rather spend £50m on the medical department than any player. Even the best DM in the world can come here and still not win us anything.
Reply 342
Original post by shawn_o1
Would rather spend £50m on the medical department than any player. Even the best DM in the world can come here and still not win us anything.

You realise our problems came from playing Campbell on the wing, and not having a back up to Coquelin? Literally if we stocked up on those 2 positions like we wanted in the summer, we'd of been fine today.

I don't know why people are surprised about today's result. If you field out **** players, you'll get a **** performance. You're only as strong as your weakest link and all that..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
You realise our problems came from playing Campbell on the wing, and not having a back up to Coquelin? Literally if we stocked up on those 2 positions like we wanted in the summer, we'd of been fine today.

We have:

Ox, Welbeck, Ramsey and Sanchez for the wings, with Walcott when needed.

Our club/manager's inability to keep players fit is a far bigger problem.

How many wingers did Chelsea use last season?
Reply 344
Original post by dairychocolate
We have:

Ox, Welbeck, Ramsey and Sanchez for the wings, with Walcott when needed.

Our club/manager's inability to keep players fit is a far bigger problem.

How many wingers did Chelsea use last season?

Ox is ****. Welbeck is ****. Ramsey isn't a winger even if he's being played there. If Walcott is being played up front then who else do we play on the right? Chelsea had won the league by Christmas and got away with the fact that the rest of the league were utter ****e? Plus they're irrelevant, considering their injury problems are very much different to ours.
Original post by AR_95
Ox is ****. Welbeck is ****.

Backup wingers don't need to be as good as Hazard. Both of those players are easily backup quality when you compare them to our rivals' options.

Ramsey isn't a winger even if he's being played there.

Ramsey creates chances, defends well and gets in good positions. I'm not really bothered about which exact role to label him with.

If Walcott is being played up front then who else do we play on the right?

Walcott is a last ditch option, where Giroud can play up front and Walcott can move to the right.

Chelsea had won the league by Christmas and got away with the fact that the rest of the league were utter ****e?

Chelsea got 87 points with mediocre squad depth. If we got 87 points, it'd be an excellent season.

Plus they're irrelevant, considering their injury problems are very much different to ours.

That's the point. We repeatedly have a ****ing **** injury record and nothing changes.
A point behind united and only 12 ahead of the chavs. Yeah **** it.

Must say, I rate arteta for faking injury. He's not good enough to be in our squad and he realised it. If only he faked it half an hour before.
(edited 8 years ago)

Issue isn't the medical department. Issue is wenger's sanctity and refusal to dope our players. If wilshere was at the chavs or playing under pep he'd never get injured.

It's not even that hard.
Reply 348
Backup wingers don't need to be as good as Hazard. Both of those players are easily backup quality when you compare them to our rivals' options.

Ramsey creates chances, defends well and gets in good positions. I'm not really bothered about which exact role to label him with.

Walcott is a last ditch option, where Giroud can play up front and Walcott can move to the right.

Chelsea got 87 points with mediocre squad depth. If we got 87 points, it'd be an excellent season.

That's the point. We repeatedly have a ****ing **** injury record and nothing changes.

They don't need to be as good as Hazard, not even close. But they need to be Arsenal quality. Ox, Welbeck, Campbell are not even close to being Arsenal quality (or the problem is that people think they are which is even worse)

Yes, Ramsey has those qualities in which he fulfills them a lot better when he's playing box to box/central, regardless it would be better to have a natural winger there.

We've tried Giroud up front with Walcott to the right and it wasn't great last season. So far though there's only Sanchez, walcott and Ramsey justified to be on the wings. For 2 positions you want at least 4 competent players but right now we've only said 3 so that backs up my point, we should have bought in a new winger.

87 points with mediocre squad depth but with by far the best starting XI in the league? Them having mediocre squad depth is irrelevant to ours. Our squad depth is a myth. Players like Ox, Welbeck, Campbell, flamini, Arteta and Chambers do not result in good squad depth. They're all dead wood.
Original post by AR_95
They don't need to be as good as Hazard, not even close. But they need to be Arsenal quality. Ox, Welbeck, Campbell are not even close to being Arsenal quality (or the problem is that people think they are which is even worse)
Campbell is a nothing player but Chamberlain and Welbeck are absolutely fine to fill in for the starters when necessary

Yes, Ramsey has those qualities in which he fulfills them a lot better when he's playing box to box/central, regardless it would be better to have a natural winger there.

The role of our attackers is to create chances and score. I don't care if we do that with 'natural' wingers or a 7 foot giant on each wing as long as it gets done.

Cazorla is there because, as infuriating as he can be, he keeps getting assists when he has decent players around him.

We've tried Giroud up front with Walcott to the right and it wasn't great last season.

I don't remember us using it that much, except for when we battered West Ham 3-0. They were great together during 12/13 and 13/14.

So far though there's only Sanchez, walcott and Ramsey justified to be on the wings. For 2 positions you want at least 4 competent players but right now we've only said 3 so that backs up my point, we should have bought in a new winger.

We've got 2 players who are easily starting quality: Ramsey, Sanchez

We've got two players who are easily backup quality: Ox, Welbeck

We could have got a RW to upgrade the starting RW and moved Ramsey to CM but I'm not sure whom. I doubt anyone would have agreed with moving Cazorla out of the starting XI after his 14/15 season, either. It's also clear that we play better with 3 central players (Coq, Cazorla and Ramsey coming central).

The point is that we don't lack numbers, we are incompetent at keeping players fit.

87 points with mediocre squad depth but with by far the best starting XI in the league?

They kept their starting XI fit else they wouldn't have won the league. That's the same for almost any team. Ozil missed months last season, as did Ramsey, as did Wilshere, as did Walcott etc. It's no longer something that we can pin on luck. In fact, it hasn't been for years.
(edited 8 years ago)
At least we're staying level with City. This is the sort of luck we need if we are going to win the league this season.
Original post by Use Err Name
At least we're staying level with City. This is the sort of luck we need if we are going to win the league this season.

It's not luck when it's Klopp :colone:
Could Jon toral be recalled?
Could Jon toral be recalled?

Can't see why he would when Crowley's been sent back
Reply 354
Campbell is a nothing player but Chamberlain and Welbeck are absolutely fine to fill in for the starters when necessary

The role of our attackers is to create chances and score. I don't care if we do that with 'natural' wingers or a 7 foot giant on each wing as long as it gets done.

Cazorla is there because, as infuriating as he can be, he keeps getting assists when he has decent players around him.

I don't remember us using it that much, except for when we battered West Ham 3-0. They were great together during 12/13 and 13/14.

We've got 2 players who are easily starting quality: Ramsey, Sanchez

We've got two players who are easily backup quality: Ox, Welbeck

We could have got a RW to upgrade the starting RW and moved Ramsey to CM but I'm not sure whom. I doubt anyone would have agreed with moving Cazorla out of the starting XI after his 14/15 season, either. It's also clear that we play better with 3 central players (Coq, Cazorla and Ramsey coming central).

The point is that we don't lack numbers, we are incompetent at keeping players fit.

They kept their starting XI fit else they wouldn't have won the league. That's the same for almost any team. Ozil missed months last season, as did Ramsey, as did Wilshere, as did Walcott etc. It'sno longer something that we can pin on luck. In fact, it's been that way for years.

Nope I disagree. Welbeck and Ox have nothing to their name, bar for an odd goal or two. Only reason people justify Welbeck is because of his defensive contribution, which is not what you look for in a winger ffs.

We already have Ozil and Cazorla creating. Why do we need Ramsey on the RW? He doesn't offer threat behind the line, he doesn't have an attacking presence with the ball. His numbers haven't been great on the RW either? As ****e as Campbell is, he offered attacking presence today and got at the end of a lot of good chances. We don't have that with Ramsey. If we had an actual winger that could finish instead of Campbell, we'd of walked todays game easily.

There's an abundance of attacking midfielders in the market. It shouldn't even be a question of simply finding a player that's better than Ox/Welbeck.

I'm not saying we drop Cazorla, I would much rather drop Ramsey instead, or have those two rotate.

Walcott and Giroud in 13/14? Walcott played for about a month that season...

The injury record is not down to luck, no, but like I've said, had we of bought in the two/three positions needed in the summer then we'd of been fine today. You can't justify being the only team in Europe to not buy an outfield player.
So are we going to put this loss into perspective and say we're still conformably in the title race or overreact as normal?
Original post by Use Err Name
Can't see why he would when Crowley's been sent back

Toral is two years older, and Crowley failed to impress on loan. Plus, Toral has "good" first-team experience (helped Brentford reach the play-offs)
Toral is two years older, and Crowley failed to impress on loan. Plus, Toral has "good" first-team experience (helped Brentford reach the play-offs)

I thought Crowley was doing well, like the manager rated him really highly or something. Toral does look decent too.

Can't see any of them coming into the team unless Coq is out for a while though.
Original post by leinad2012
So are we going to put this loss into perspective and say we're still conformably in the title race or overreact as normal?

Overreact as normal. Are you new here?

Latest