The Student Room Group

Utilities Bills - 5 person/bed student house

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how much bills is expected to come to in a 5 bed student house.

I currently live with 4 other people in a student house. Me and my boyfriend pay for a room each and 1/5 of the bills each but only live in one room (the other is used to storage).
a breakdown of what we pay per person, per month:
electric: £10-£15
gas: £10
WiFi: £7
water/sewage: - about £12 (we get charged every 6 months so not sure on this one yet)

our housemates are concerned that £30/£40 each a month on bills is a lot - but most of the sites I've looked at and people I've spoken to think this is about right/lower than usual.
Our housemates have said their friends pay £10 a month for gas and electric.

We are a D efficiency rated house, with a tumble dryer (we have mould issues and my room in particular is too cold to dry clothes in), heating on 20 degrees C - comes on for a few hours at night and in the morning, we turn off lights etc (and the boys do have gaming systems), we have electric showers too.

so yeah, is £30-£40 a month each too high for a five bed student house?

any help would be brilliant - just want to confirm if we are really "wasting" gas/electric and stop discussing it so much! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Littleapplebee
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how much bills is expected to come to in a 5 bed student house.

I currently live with 4 other people in a student house. Me and my boyfriend pay for a room each and 1/5 of the bills each but only live in one room (the other is used to storage).
a breakdown of what we pay per person, per month:
electric: £10-£15
gas: £10
WiFi: £7
water/sewage: - about £12 (we get charged every 6 months so not sure on this one yet)

our housemates are concerned that £30/£40 each a month on bills is a lot - but most of the sites I've looked at and people I've spoken to think this is about right/lower than usual.
Our housemates have said their friends pay £10 a month for gas and electric.

We are a D efficiency rated house, with a tumble dryer (we have mould issues and my room in particular is too cold to dry clothes in), heating on 20 degrees C - comes on for a few hours at night and in the morning, we turn off lights etc (and the boys do have gaming systems), we have electric showers too.

so yeah, is £30-£40 a month each too high for a five bed student house?

any help would be brilliant - just want to confirm if we are really "wasting" gas/electric and stop discussing it so much! Thanks :smile:

The only bill I would query as to it being so high is the water bill as that makes for £720 a year which seems a bit excessive (in my area it is roughly £500 a year for semi detached houses so cant imagine it being that much) unless its on a meter and not direct debit and possibly the wifi unless that is a fibre optic connection then that price would make sense.
Especially as the heating is on for a few hours a day and you have electric showers and use a tumble dryer that seems pretty reasonable for electricity to be honest.
Those bills look really reasonable to me, when did you move in because gas looks a little low if anything (unless heating and water are electric). Possibly having lots of people in the house will help maintain heat but I find my gas bills are mega in december/january/february.
Original post by claireestelle
The only bill I would query as to it being so high is the water bill as that makes for £720 a year which seems a bit excessive (in my area it is roughly £500 a year for semi detached houses so cant imagine it being that much) unless its on a meter and not direct debit and possibly the wifi unless that is a fibre optic connection then that price would make sense.
Especially as the heating is on for a few hours a day and you have electric showers and use a tumble dryer that seems pretty reasonable for electricity to be honest.

the water is on a meter and isn't paid by direct debit which makes it higher. We haven't actually got a water bill yet - just going by what the agency and last tenants suggested but as a house, we don't really use massive amounts of water so I'm hoping it'll be lower :smile:

yeah, some housemates have suggested that we stop using the tumble dryer but it doesn't seem to use TOO much electric (we have prepay so I'm monitored how much the dryer uses and only seems to be about 15-20p for an hour - fine for the amount its used).

Didn't think the gas/electric were particularly high so that's good :smile:
Original post by Quilverine
Those bills look really reasonable to me, when did you move in because gas looks a little low if anything (unless heating and water are electric). Possibly having lots of people in the house will help maintain heat but I find my gas bills are mega in december/january/february.

We moved in at the start of August. Qe originally paid £5 of gas each every 3 weeks so it was really only £7.50 a month at most but its looking at more like £10-£15 for the winter months. My housemates are concerned that this is too high but your comment makes out sound like £15 a month each is fairly normal? :smile:
the water is on a meter and isn't paid by direct debit which makes it higher. We haven't actually got a water bill yet - just going by what the agency and last tenants suggested but as a house, we don't really use massive amounts of water so I'm hoping it'll be lower :smile:

yeah, some housemates have suggested that we stop using the tumble dryer but it doesn't seem to use TOO much electric (we have prepay so I'm monitored how much the dryer uses and only seems to be about 15-20p for an hour - fine for the amount its used).

Didn't think the gas/electric were particularly high so that's good :smile:

Would the agency allow you to get it changed so it would be direct debit as that could save you quite a bit of money? If you don't have baths or use a dishwasher and are careful with the washing machine it should be too bad.
We moved in at the start of August. Qe originally paid £5 of gas each every 3 weeks so it was really only £7.50 a month at most but its looking at more like £10-£15 for the winter months. My housemates are concerned that this is too high but your comment makes out sound like £15 a month each is fairly normal? :smile:

Yeah, once the temperature outside drops it takes quite a lot of energy to maintain a warm, dry home. The water coming into the house is a lot colder and therefore takes more energy to warm for washing up/baths/showers. The house will lose heat more rapidly so more gas is used to maintain the 20 degrees. I live with just myself and a small child paying around 40/month on electricity and 30-70/month on gas (depends on central heating), water is 23/month. If you try coordinate meal times so the cooker is used efficiently it might help as would doing things like limiting shower time, lowering the heat to 18º (if it's bearable and doesn't result in damp). By splitting the bills you guys are all saving a lot of money. Utilities aren't cheap.

For reference I live in a 3 storey mid-terrace period house that is triple glazed but has no wall insulation. Mid week I have heating on from 5am to 8am and 3pm to 10pm. It's on continuously if we are in the house all day because it cools down really fast.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending