The Student Room Group

Should I take A Level Creative Writing?

Hi
Currently in that awkward and complicated stage of deciding what A Levels to do like many other students my age... :dontknow:
I'm hoping to get into a good Russell Group University and study Psychology (I'll probably change my mind but that's the plan atm)

Would the following A Levels be suitable?
Chemistry
Psychology
Sociology
Creative Writing

I know creative writing seems a bit random in that mix but the course appeals to me a lot and I have three A Levels that are from the list you're recommended to have two I've found on a few Russell Group Uni sites...

Any advice is greatly appreciated :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ally2000
Hi
Currently in that awkward and complicated stage of deciding what A Levels to do like many other students my age... :dontknow:
I'm hoping to get into a good Russell Group University and study Psychology (I'll probably change my mind but that's the plan atm)

Chemistry
Psychology
Sociology
Creative Writing

I know creative writing seems a bit random in that mix but the course appeals to me a lot and I have three A Levels that are from the list you're recommended to have two I've found on a few Russell Group Uni sites...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont know but goodluck is all I can say
Reply 2
Chemistry is definitely the odd one out there. I have to ask what makes you want to study chemistry? If you are using it as a way to keep your options open, you should be aware that most science courses at university level would prefer 2 sciences (e.g. chemistry plus biology, or chem plus physics, etc). You may find that it doesn't really "mesh" with your other subjects -- sociology and creative writing in particular.

I'd say that biology is a better subject to have if you choose to have only 1 science. Geography or geology may be good options too, or environmental science, if you would like to study a single science subject.

If you want to study at an RG university, the main thing is to choose subjects you feel you can work hard enough to get the A grades in. It's okay to have 1 or 2 subjects that aren't necessarily so facilitating.
If you're planning to do Psychology, Biology might be a good idea if you're interested in the neurological aspects. There's a big module on it in A2 and there's a bit on primate behaviour too. I'd imagine History, Classics or English Lit would be more useful than Creative Writing as Psychology is an essay based subject, so you'll need as much practise as you can get

edit: just realised you're doing the new A Levels, have a look through the syllabus first
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi

Chemistry
Psychology
Sociology
Creative Writing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Russell Group Universities are (arguably rightfully) snooty about choice of A Levels. I doubt that Creative Writing is much respected by them.

It would be better to take English Literature instead, though the essay writing style in Eng Lit is different to that of Psych/Sociology. Have you thought about taking History? It's a lot of work, but the skills you learn will help you far more with your Psych A-level and possibly also the degree, not to mention that it is highly respected.
Reply 5
I'm in year 11 and I'm doing creative writing a year early so I can say that it's not difficult at all and there isn't much coursework as long as you are good at it. I'd say if you're on an A at GCSE you could easily do the coursework. There is a 2.5 hour exam that doesn't look to difficult.
Reply 6
Original post by suirrel
Chemistry is definitely the odd one out there. I have to ask what makes you want to study chemistry? If you are using it as a way to keep your options open, you should be aware that most science courses at university level would prefer 2 sciences (e.g. chemistry plus biology, or chem plus physics, etc). You may find that it doesn't really "mesh" with your other subjects -- sociology and creative writing in particular.

I'd say that biology is a better subject to have if you choose to have only 1 science. Geography or geology may be good options too, or environmental science, if you would like to study a single science subject.

If you want to study at an RG university, the main thing is to choose subjects you feel you can work hard enough to get the A grades in. It's okay to have 1 or 2 subjects that aren't necessarily so facilitating.

I've been advised by my careers advisor at school to take chemistry as it will keep other options open for me and I really enjoy it at GCSE so I'll likely do well at A Level l
I might consider Biology as I enjoy that too :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi

Chemistry
Psychology
Sociology
Creative Writing

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I'm honest your current A-level choices aren't that good if you're wanting to get onto a russell group Psychology course.

While Chemistry and Psychology are both good - they would prefer Biology, and Psychology isn't a requirement so you can do something else you want to do. Obviously if there are only a few A-levels you want to do, take Psychology.

Sociology and Creative writing are both poor choices if you're applying to a russell group, those courses are extremely competitive and there will be many people meeting the entry requirements with more traditional subjects. Sociology in particular, as universities don't like people taking two similar courses.

Take a look at the facilitating subjects - obviously they don't all need to be facilitating, but you will be at an advantage with those subjects if you get the grades in them.

Consider taking Maths, Biology, English, History, Philosophy, Politics, Economics - these A-levels also mean you keep doors open. By doing creative writing and sociology, you are narrowing what you can do post-Y13 and you may change your mind.
Reply 8
Original post by yasaminO_o
If you're planning to do Psychology, Biology might be a good idea if you're interested in the neurological aspects. There's a big module on it in A2 and there's a bit on primate behaviour too. I'd imagine History, Classics or English Lit would be more useful than Creative Writing as Psychology is an essay based subject, so you'll need as much practise as you can get

edit: just realised you're doing the new A Levels, have a look through the syllabus first

Original post by AdjectiveNoun
Russell Group Universities are (arguably rightfully) snooty about choice of A Levels. I doubt that Creative Writing is much respected by them.

It would be better to take English Literature instead, though the essay writing style in Eng Lit is different to that of Psych/Sociology. Have you thought about taking History? It's a lot of work, but the skills you learn will help you far more with your Psych A-level and possibly also the degree, not to mention that it is highly respected.

I was thinking English Lit but when looking into it a bit more, the amount of reading put me off as the books recommend are not what I enjoy. Thank you for the advice though, I'll definitely consider it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest