The Student Room Group

Spanish - as - wjec - help +++urgent++++

Hi all,

If any of you can, please could you give me some helpful advice tips for the WJEC Spanish AS exam paper?

In particular the gap fill, as that is my weakest area.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Original post by Cal1999
Hi all,

If any of you can, please could you give me some helpful advice tips for the WJEC Spanish AS exam paper?

In particular the gap fill, as that is my weakest area.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

The gap fill is, indeed, tricky because it tests both grammar and comprehension at the same time. These are the things to watch out for:

- connectives (así que, pero, sin embargo etc.) - these test mainly comprehension so you need to think logically.
- adjectives - make sure the agreements are correct! So don't put in a feminine adjective if the noun is masculine, (even if it makes sense in terms of meaning; this is particularly important when you are choosing from a list of possibilities).
- verbs - make sure the conjugations are correct! So don't use a first person singular when you need a third person plural, for example.
- past participles - as for adjectives.
- infinitives - check that these are justified (i.e. that you are using a second verb eg quiero volver, or that there is a preposition immediately in front of it eg para hacer; antes de ir).
- tenses - make sure you know your range of tenses and look out for triggers like manana, ayer, cada día, etc. They always throw in an "if" clause and a subjunctive, so be on the lookout for these.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Anna Schoon
The gap fill is, indeed, tricky because it tests both grammar and comprehension at the same time. These are the things to watch out for:

- connectives (así que, pero, sin embargo etc.) - these test mainly comprehension so you need to think logically.
- adjectives - make sure the agreements are correct! So don't put in a feminine adjective if the noun is masculine, (even if it makes sense in terms of meaning; this is particularly important when you are choosing from a list of possibilities).
- verbs - make sure the conjugations are correct! So don't use a first person singular when you need a third person plural, for example.
- past participles - as for adjectives.
- infinitives - check that these are justified (i.e. that you are using a second verb eg quiero volver, or that there is a preposition immediately in front of it eg para hacer; antes de ir).
- tenses - make sure you know your range of tenses and look out for triggers like manana, ayer, cada día, etc. They always throw in an "if" clause and a subjunctive, so be on the lookout for these.

Hope this helps!

Do you have any tricks/ tips without knowing the meanings?

I am really struggling.for example, how do I know that there must be a feminine singular noun or a plural masculine noun or an infinitive or a verb etc...
Original post by Cal1999
Do you have any tricks/ tips without knowing the meanings?

I am really struggling.for example, how do I know that there must be a feminine singular noun or a plural masculine noun or an infinitive or a verb etc...

That's where the comprehension kicks in, I'm afraid, which is why the exercise is tricky. You have to have an idea of what the sentence means before you try to fill the gap. Once you've worked that out, you can think about the role of the missing word and work it out from there.

In the second gap-filling exercise they give you the verb or adjective and you have to deal with it. The adjectives are easier because you just have to find the noun they relate to and make the agreements, remembering that some change if they precede (eg grande becomes gran in front of a noun). For the verbs you need to work out a) the tense by looking at the triggers in the sentence and then b) the conjugation - remember though that sometimes you simply need to put in an infinitive. Understanding the overall meaning of the sentence makes it a lot easier but you don't have to understand every single word.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending