The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by anonymouspie227
Hey :h:

So, this is aimed at people who will have graduated by 2017 in their first second third etc degree and want to be studying medicine by September 2017 or 2018 depending on when you decide to apply whether you're doing a 3/4 year course.

My stats are on my profile!

I thought we could encourage each other keep each other aware of news and just be a community for future medics.

If this thread already exists then sorry!!

Hi, I've just decided to do medicine having started to work at a hospital. I was wondering if I could start in September 2016 or is this flawed thinking ? I am also a little lost on how to actually apply as there seems so many different paths. Do I not apply using UCAS ? Or do i apply directly to the university ?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks
Original post by phspa
Hi, I've just decided to do medicine having started to work at a hospital. I was wondering if I could start in September 2016 or is this flawed thinking ? I am also a little lost on how to actually apply as there seems so many different paths. Do I not apply using UCAS ? Or do i apply directly to the university ?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks

You won't be able to start medicine in sept 2016, the UCAS deadline was in October. Use this time to prep for 2017 entry and apply by October 2016. And yes, you need to apply via UCAS.

What's your situation? Do you have a degree? What a levels did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 322
Original post by JenniB22
You won't be able to start medicine in sept 2016, the UCAS deadline was in October. Use this time to prep for 2017 entry and apply by October 2016. And yes, you need to apply via UCAS.

What's your situation? Do you have a degree? What a levels did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I graduated with a Masters in Pharmacy (MPharm) but only managed a 2:2 mainly because I didn't study or really value what I was doing at the time.

I did A-levels Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and gained an A, B and C. I did my pre-registration year in a Boots Chemist and have worked in community Pharmacies as a pharmacist for 4 years and this recent year I have been working as a Clinical Pharmacist on the wards at 3 different hospitals.

Which Universities do you think I should aim at , I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne . So Newcastle will be a definite choice, I am just a bit worried about the UKCAT as my natural IQ isn't spectacular.

Again if anyone could shine any light on my situation I would be greatly appreciative.

Kind Regards

SSP
Original post by phspa
I graduated with a Masters in Pharmacy (MPharm) but only managed a 2:2 mainly because I didn't study or really value what I was doing at the time.

I did A-levels Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and gained an A, B and C. I did my pre-registration year in a Boots Chemist and have worked in community Pharmacies as a pharmacist for 4 years and this recent year I have been working as a Clinical Pharmacist on the wards at 3 different hospitals.

Which Universities do you think I should aim at , I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne . So Newcastle will be a definite choice, I am just a bit worried about the UKCAT as my natural IQ isn't spectacular.

Again if anyone could shine any light on my situation I would be greatly appreciative.

Kind Regards

SSP

I'm not 100% on this but I think with a 2.2 there are only a couple of unis you can apply to, and you would need to sit the GAMSAT. If you google "graduate entry medicine wiki" you'll find a list of unis that offer gem and what they require.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phspa

Kind Regards

SSP

I think it's just Nottingham and st George's in fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 325
Even with all the experience I've got clinically working with Consultants, Junior Doctors and Nurses on wards. Not to mention all the clinical services that I have been delivering working in community pharmacies.

Also my degree was a 5 year programme, in Pharmacy which surely must count for something .

1) I am also wondering how many Universities that I can put down on my application for UCAS ??

2) How soon do you need to sit the GAMSAT, is it before or after applying to UCAS ?

3) 2) How soon do you need to sit the UKCAT, is it before or after applying to UCAS ?

4) I can't find any Graduate Medicine wiki ..?
Original post by phspa
Even with all the experience I've got clinically working with Consultants, Junior Doctors and Nurses on wards. Not to mention all the clinical services that I have been delivering working in community pharmacies.

Also my degree was a 5 year programme, in Pharmacy which surely must count for something .

1) I am also wondering how many Universities that I can put down on my application for UCAS ??

2) How soon do you need to sit the GAMSAT, is it before or after applying to UCAS ?

3) 2) How soon do you need to sit the UKCAT, is it before or after applying to UCAS ?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
Original post by phspa

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide

Sadly, clinical experience does not outway the need to fulfil the basic requirements. A 2:2 sadly will limit where you can apply.

You sit the UKCAT in the summer before you apply to uni. You can apply to up to 4 medical schools.
Further to what people above are saying... I think you (@phspa) might need to speak directly to admissions because if your course was an integrated Masters you might need to have achieved a Merit in the Level 7 modules? From all the obsessing over admisssions requirements I have done it seemed that everywhere that accepts a Masters to make up for a 2:2 needs a Merit or Distinction.

UKCAT is done the months leading up to application, you get results on the spot. A strong score for GEM would be 740 upwards, around 700 could potentially get you interviews if the rest of your application is very strong.
GAMSAT is valid for two years and so could be taken the year before application, otherwise the September exam results come after applications are sent. All unis require at least 50 in section 3 (science) & a total score over 60 gives you a good chance at interview.
For both, the cutoff can vary year on year depending on trends accross all test takers.
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Don't do this, just do volunteering for a charity or hospice or hospital, GapMedic cost a lot and is unnecessary, especially when embarking on a course as exorbitantly prices as Graduate-entry medicine.
Save money don't spend!
Everything else look fine though, what degree are you doing?

thanks for the advice. I was kinda of 50/50 on gap medic, but saw in other forums how highly it was mentioned. Im doing biomedical science. the finance issue is the thing thats really bothering me. I already started trying to save up. I get a bursary from my university £2000 a year and my plan is to save up those £2000 and just use my student grants and loans + money from my part time job to live on for the next 3 years, this way i have something if i have to do a 5 year course. Any finance people advice would be helpful, should i just leave it in my account or do something to it.
What are you studying by the way? and when do you plan on applying?
Original post by coolheadjody
thanks for the advice. I was kinda of 50/50 on gap medic, but saw in other forums how highly it was mentioned. Im doing biomedical science. the finance issue is the thing thats really bothering me. I already started trying to save up. I get a bursary from my university £2000 a year and my plan is to save up those £2000 and just use my student grants and loans + money from my part time job to live on for the next 3 years, this way i have something if i have to do a 5 year course. Any finance people advice would be helpful, should i just leave it in my account or do something to it.
What are you studying by the way? and when do you plan on applying?

I'm on placement at the minute but doing biomedical science and hope to apply for GEM next September.

It's actually quite hard to hard much interest on such as little amount in a short period of time to be honest, you're best just looking at the AER for different bank and seeing which ones have the best rates. Maybe another user more familiar with finance can offer more help.
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I'm on placement at the minute but doing biomedical science and hope to apply for GEM next September.

It's actually quite hard to hard much interest on such as little amount in a short period of time to be honest, you're best just looking at the AER for different bank and seeing which ones have the best rates. Maybe another user more familiar with finance can offer more help.

Can I ask why you have bothered with a Biomed placement if you intend to go into medicine? Just curious, I'm a final year Biomed myself and had the chance for a placement but decided it would be a waste of a year to develop lab skills when I want to get into medicine anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Can I ask why you have bothered with a Biomed placement if you intend to go into medicine? Just curious, I'm a final year Biomed myself and had the chance for a placement but decided it would be a waste of a year to develop lab skills when I want to get into medicine anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took a placement year because I was terrible with university, I want to four lectures all year and drunk too much and generally did no work; luckily I managed to get 66%.
Placement years at my university count for 10% of your degree which is based on a 4000 lab report you on your placement; I knew that I wasn't going to do great in second year as I had done no work. So I took a placement year essentially so I'd have to get up every morning and go to work which would help me develop a work ethic and also hopefully if I do well in the report I will go into final year with 25% of my degree at a first.
If I had continued straight into my final year I would most likely have failed about a month in to be honest.
I also knew I would have some free time on placement which would allow my develop my medicine application; I have managed to organize myself a week in the neurosurgery department at LGI, I have about to start volunteering at a hospice until I return to university, I'm hopefully going to be sitting A-level chemistry this summer and I'm going to organize a weeks work shadowing at an orthopaedic hospital near where I live.
Also been able to do loads of reading so with a bit of luck I'll go into final year as a better writer which will help me when writing my dissertation!
Hi does anyone know whether diagnostic radiography would be acceptable as a degree to apply GEM medicine with, if i were to say get a 2:1 or above
Original post by pinkpanther101
Hi does anyone know whether diagnostic radiography would be acceptable as a degree to apply GEM medicine with, if i were to say get a 2:1 or above

It depends on your A Levels. If you have 3 As including Chemistry and Biology then you could try Cambridge and Barts. If you need a course that won't go by A Levels you could apply to Warwick or Newcastle with UKCAT, or Swansea, SGUL & Notts with GAMSAT. It won't be accepted at Bristol, Oxford or Kings. Not sure about the others.
Original post by Quilverine
It depends on your A Levels. If you have 3 As including Chemistry and Biology then you could try Cambridge and Barts. If you need a course that won't go by A Levels you could apply to Warwick or Newcastle with UKCAT, or Swansea, SGUL & Notts with GAMSAT. It won't be accepted at Bristol, Oxford or Kings. Not sure about the others.

Hi there thanks, but a few weeks a go I went to a university fair and I only asked King's but they said they'd accept the radiography degree? I didnt get the chance to ask any others.
Original post by pinkpanther101
Hi there thanks, but a few weeks a go I went to a university fair and I only asked King's but they said they'd accept the radiography degree? I didnt get the chance to ask any others.

Ah okay, they made it sound like they only took professional degrees with a lab science Masters. They checked my transcript - also medical imaging - and they said it lacked the sort of science they required. The switch only happened for this year's entry because it was fine two years ago (my ukcat was not). Maybe scan your transcript and get it out to admissions for your possible options in March/April once all the 2016 entry stuff has calmed down. If you're still studying send the results you have so far and the modules you will take.
Im an MPharm graduate with a 2:1 (which was obtained despite quite a lot of extenuating circumstances during my last year at uni) who has recently become a registered pharmacist. whilst I have relevant experience (11 months community pre-reg, 2 weeks hospital, 2 weeks GP surgery; 2 years working for local hospice in relevant roles; and a list of others).I am struggling to decide to choose GEM or undergrad. for GEM: I need to ace my entrance exams(due to having to work during exam period of last UKCAT, I have found myself with good scores for undergrad med and (under)grad dentistry,but was off the GEM mark by 20; additionally, I am nervous of sitting GAMSAT as it require A level revision (I found A levels harder than MPharm)and BMAT (I have ponce handwriting)), and because of my financial situation (been unemployed since July 2015 and no locum work till february / march next year; also my parents income is <national average), undergrad is financial suicide atm. Some unis, such as imperial, have also suggested that for undergrad medicine, they do not look at degree classification despite MPharm being significantly higher than A levels, which is problematic for me as I only got BCC in my A levels (yet got a MPharm from a russell group uni). So, should I still look at GEM as well as undergrad, or just focus on GEM
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quasa
Im an MPharm graduate with a 2:1 (which was obtained despite quite a lot of extenuating circumstances during my last year at uni) who has recently become a registered pharmacist. whilst I have relevant experience (11 months community pre-reg, 2 weeks hospital, 2 weeks GP surgery; 2 years working for local hospice in relevant roles; and a list of others).I am struggling to decide to choose GEM or undergrad. for GEM: I need to ace my entrance exams(due to having to work during exam period of last UKCAT, I have found myself with good scores for undergrad med and (under)grad dentistry,but was off the GEM mark by 20; additionally, I am nervous of sitting GAMSAT as it require A level revision (I found A levels harder than MPharm)and BMAT (I have ponce handwriting)), and because of my financial situation (been unemployed since July 2015 and no locum work till february / march next year; also my parents income is <national average), undergrad is financial suicide atm. Some unis, such as imperial, have also suggested that for undergrad medicine, they do not look at degree classification despite MPharm being significantly higher than A levels, which is problematic for me as I only got BCC in my A levels (yet got a MPharm from a russell group uni). So, should I still look at GEM as well as undergrad, or just focus on GEM

If you can't afford undergrad don't apply this cycle. It would be heartbreaking to get an offer but not be able to afford to take it up, or worse have to drop out partway through. Focus on GEM this cycle and see how it goes. You can always reevaluate the year after if needs be.
Original post by Quilverine
Ah okay, they made it sound like they only took professional degrees with a lab science Masters. They checked my transcript - also medical imaging - and they said it lacked the sort of science they required. The switch only happened for this year's entry because it was fine two years ago (my ukcat was not). Maybe scan your transcript and get it out to admissions for your possible options in March/April once all the 2016 entry stuff has calmed down. If you're still studying send the results you have so far and the modules you will take.

Ah thanks so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending