The Student Room Group

Applying for graduate schemes....rejections pouring in.

Hi guys.

I'm applying for marketing grad programmes at tech/FMCG companies as well as business management schemes.

Been rejected from Atos and Nestle so far.

Atos said the reason I didnt get through was because of the working style questionairre. Nestle is sending a report within 3 days for their reason why.

Companies are responding very quickly.

Apparently people already have offers and are speeding through the processes.

I'm making around 13 applications by January then if I'm not successful with any I'll apply to marketing agencies which run their schemes. Missed so many deadlines in November can only blame myself for starting so late.

Applied to Sky and Microsoft which I really want to get I'm worried they'll reject me and I'll become disheartened. My best mate got an offer from linkedin already.

How is everyone else's applications getting on?
Reply 1
Hi Melissa,

Dont worry too much about the deadlines you have missed, a majority of deadlines will be after Christmas.

Just keep applying and im sure you will be fine :biggrin:
I've had rejections too - it's hard but we'll get there!
Original post by MelissaJuniper
Hi guys.

I'm applying for marketing grad programmes at tech/FMCG companies as well as business management schemes.

Been rejected from Atos and Nestle so far.

Atos said the reason I didnt get through was because of the working style questionairre. Nestle is sending a report within 3 days for their reason why.

Companies are responding very quickly.

Apparently people already have offers and are speeding through the processes.

I'm making around 13 applications by January then if I'm not successful with any I'll apply to marketing agencies which run their schemes. Missed so many deadlines in November can only blame myself for starting so late.

Applied to Sky and Microsoft which I really want to get I'm worried they'll reject me and I'll become disheartened. My best mate got an offer from linkedin already.

How is everyone else's applications getting on?

13 is tame, aim for 20-30. The more you apply to, the higher your chances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Melissa, I'm a founder looking to fill a permanent paid position handling all our customer enquiries / social media / suppliers for our two startups (23snaps.com and getprintastic.com). We are looking for someone to train who is articulate and eager to learn how to do all the things that make an online business successful - while keeping our users smiling :smile: We're London based. Maybe we can help?
I'm not looking at grad schemes in this sort of industry, but I've also already had a couple of rejections. It's hard and really competitive, you have to prepare for knock backs. But just remember, all it takes is one successful application, stay positive and honestly they do get easier (you get better at applying). You have missed some deadlines but the majority are in January so you still have time. Just make sure you spend a good amount of time on each application you send off and you tailor each one to the specific grad scheme - it's better to have a few really good applications than loads of mediocre ones. Good luck!
Original post by LiquidGold
It's hard and really competitive, you have to prepare for knock backs. But just remember, all it takes is one successful application, stay positive and honestly they do get easier (you get better at applying).

As an employer, I totally agree with this. Just keep trying. I know it can be soul destroying.

If you are open to options other than a grad scheme, there are literally thousands of smallish businesses (15-30 people) who need someone who is affordable but capable to help do marketing/pr/support/sales etc. The issue is that because they're small, they don't have time to recruit or the money for agencies (who usually take at least 15% of your annual salary in fees). But they will almost certainly be willing to train you if you're capable of learning fast and willing to do what it takes to get the job done while you get to grips with the role. Target these companies with personalised requests for an opportunity to meet. You'd be surprised how much more effective this is than recruiters.
Reply 7
what about international students like me? small business employers wont bother sponsoring. what do i do?
Original post by Topu
what about international students like me? small business employers wont bother sponsoring. what do i do?

It's tough - especially for people in your situation. I really feel for you. You've spent all this time studying and living here, only to be unable to apply those skills locally. The challenge is that unless you have very specific skills, it's simply too much effort/risk for an employer to sponsor you - even if they can justify it. If you do however have specific skills, it can be beneficial for some companies to sponsor you because you're effectively tied to them so you're less likely to leave along with your unique skills. In this case, I'd be chase down every company you can and sell yourself heavily in terms of why they would be mad not to hire you. I wish I could give you an answer that makes this easier, but in the current economic climate re. foreign students, it's not possible! that said, good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by andrewishiring
It's tough - especially for people in your situation. I really feel for you. You've spent all this time studying and living here, only to be unable to apply those skills locally. The challenge is that unless you have very specific skills, it's simply too much effort/risk for an employer to sponsor you - even if they can justify it. If you do however have specific skills, it can be beneficial for some companies to sponsor you because you're effectively tied to them so you're less likely to leave along with your unique skills. In this case, I'd be chase down every company you can and sell yourself heavily in terms of why they would be mad not to hire you. I wish I could give you an answer that makes this easier, but in the current economic climate re. foreign students, it's not possible! that said, good luck!

thanks man. At least you understood. I'll have to sell hard.
Just to update I've been successful with a few applications but then not gone through the final stages.
Currently in the running for IBM! On to their very last stage which is a face to face interview.
Still making applications.

Another thing I'm finding useful is using my friends and family as referrals. My application gets seen quickly and I'm considered more
Currently in the running for IBM! On to their very last stage which is a face to face interview.
Still making applications.

Well done - keep making those applications just in case. I think the more options you have the less you depend on one and the easier it is to recover and move on if that one option doesn't work out. That said, good luck!
Hey guys. Just an update. Landed a grad scheme with an IT company offering me 30k a year! Also got through to another AC but I turned it down. Thanks so much for all your encouragement and kind words

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys. Just an update. Landed a grad scheme with an IT company offering me 30k a year! Also got through to another AC but I turned it down. Thanks so much for all your encouragement and kind words

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! So what changed? How did you land the gig?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Congrats! So what changed? How did you land the gig?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just kept at it! Did well in the application stages!
Also got through to Deloitte and a venture capital company. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just kept at it! Did well in the application stages!
Also got through to Deloitte and a venture capital company. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yess, that's what I like to hear! Congrats again, very well done!

Quick Reply

Latest