The Student Room Group

Liverpool GEM (A101) 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

I took a 3 hour ride to Liverpool to go check it out ! The area just beyond the uni seems to be the dirtier part. But as you walk in to be town it's lovely and lively . Also walked past the crypts where the interviews will be held! One of the most random venues il be having an interview! Having said that its right next to the union and there's a Starbucks metres away ! Very large campus with some lovely buildings. Couldn't figure out which building in particular was for med students as there seemed to be a few for medical education but I got the idea of it .
Reply 201
Original post by Catherine1193
I took a 3 hour ride to Liverpool to go check it out ! The area just beyond the uni seems to be the dirtier part. But as you walk in to be town it's lovely and lively . Also walked past the crypts where the interviews will be held! One of the most random venues il be having an interview! Having said that its right next to the union and there's a Starbucks metres away ! Very large campus with some lovely buildings. Couldn't figure out which building in particular was for med students as there seemed to be a few for medical education but I got the idea of it .

What bus company did you use to get up there :smile:?
Original post by kethan
What bus company did you use to get up there :smile:?

Took the car! Although I know there are some good national express services depending on where you are coming from. Saw quite a few of those on the way. And in Liverpool
Reply 203
Took the car! Although I know there are some good national express services depending on where you are coming from. Saw quite a few of those on the way. And in Liverpool

Ahh ok - I misread the first post! I think I might try and see the campus beforehand as well
Original post by kethan
Ahh ok - I misread the first post! I think I might try and see the campus beforehand as well

yeah i think being slightly more familiar with surroundings on the day does help
Original post by SpringNicht
I bought one book, which is the one for the summer school. I'm considering buying 2 more, but they're available in the library, I just want them to scribble notes on really. The library should definitely be sufficient.

I went to another RG for my previous degree and think it's great that the teaching varies. You've got traditional lectures for a lot of content, small group to go through CBL and for simulated patients, a slightly larger group to present CBL, a group of about 30 for anatomy sessions and groups of about 15 for clinical skills.

It means that there's a way to catch if you're up to speed with everyone else, for things like clinical skills you're able to be observed and know you're doing it right, enough prosections to go around in anatomy. In addition, all the learning outcomes are laid out so you can use whichever style you want to achieve them.

What have you done for accommodation? Did you go for halls or find a place with other grads?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 206
What are people thinking of wearing for the interview? I noticed it said smart casual and not sure whether to wear a suit or not
Original post by kethan
What are people thinking of wearing for the interview? I noticed it said smart casual and not sure whether to wear a suit or not

I have a black trouser suit with a shirt. I wanted to look professional and wear what I'd wear to a job interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kethan

If you're male (I'm assuming you are) just wear a suit, it's easy and 98% of the other males will be wearing a suit, or at least a smart shirt, trousers etc.
Reply 209
Original post by HCAssistant93
I have a black trouser suit with a shirt. I wanted to look professional and wear what I'd wear to a job interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Maxxie
If you're male (I'm assuming you are) just wear a suit, it's easy and 98% of the other males will be wearing a suit, or at least a smart shirt, trousers etc.

That's me sorted than, thanks!

How was driving in Liverpool? Did you find parking a problem/expensive? As someone with crutches just wondered how easy getting to interviews is going to be.
Original post by neuronerd
How was driving in Liverpool? Did you find parking a problem/expensive? As someone with crutches just wondered how easy getting to interviews is going to be.

Driving was actually ok. GpS actually got us into the exact road and I didn't even type in cathedral I just typed in general university of Liverpool. Just behind the cathedral actually more to the side if you are facing it head on.... is a Starbucks and the student union from what I could see and there's a small car park which is owned by the university but we parked in there and just got a ticket. But I went on a Saturday when there were limited people around so on a weekday when people are around im wondering if those will be full?! The crypts are at the back of the cathedral and the entrance is right in the road so if anything if somebody can let you get out there you only have a few metres to walk and you are already inside . Hope that's helpful :/
Fab, I'm sure I'll cope, I'm planning on coming 2-3 hours early and settling down in starbuck with my reflective work experience diary and a small mountain of cake/coffee.

Good luck next month everyone and those of you on the 4th if you see me hobbling about feel free to say hi, I promise I don't bite :wink:

Driving was actually ok. GpS actually got us into the exact road and I didn't even type in cathedral I just typed in general university of Liverpool. Just behind the cathedral actually more to the side if you are facing it head on.... is a Starbucks and the student union from what I could see and there's a small car park which is owned by the university but we parked in there and just got a ticket. But I went on a Saturday when there were limited people around so on a weekday when people are around im wondering if those will be full?! The crypts are at the back of the cathedral and the entrance is right in the road so if anything if somebody can let you get out there you only have a few metres to walk and you are already inside . Hope that's helpful :/
Original post by neuronerd
Fab, I'm sure I'll cope, I'm planning on coming 2-3 hours early and settling down in starbuck with my reflective work experience diary and a small mountain of cake/coffee.

Good luck next month everyone and those of you on the 4th if you see me hobbling about feel free to say hi, I promise I don't bite :wink:

I'm on the same day only an hour after you so i may very well see you :wink: even though i don't know your name :colone: i think i may be too nervous to go over notes just before hand but i have birmingham on monday so it depends how that goes on how relaxed i will be for liverpool
Any advice for interview prep?
Reply 215
Original post by April-93
Any advice for interview prep?

The ISC medical interview book seems to be a good purchase ( I'm working my way through it now)!
Good luck to anyone with an interview. I declined my interview yesterday so hopefully it'll allow someone else to receive an invite!

:yy:
Turns out I receive an invite to interview over a week ago and it went to my spam folder (oops). Booked mine for 12th at 9am. Good luck guys :smile:.
Reply 218
Original post by Jack XY
Turns out I receive an invite to interview over a week ago and it went to my spam folder (oops). Booked mine for 12th at 9am. Good luck guys :smile:.

Same day but two hours earlier! maybe see you about the campus
Whose on 24th at 11am?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending