The Student Room Group

fp2 of s2

i am doing further math, i finished fp1 (find it okay got A in the mock) and started doing s1, but i am not sure which one to do next fp2 or s2, i want to do fp2 becuase i think s2 is easier than fp2 so i want to make it easier for my self next year.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unstabledean0
i am doing further math, i finished fp1 (find it okay got A in the mock) and started doing s1, but i am not sure which one to do next fp2 or s2, i want to do fp2 becuase i think s2 is easier than fp2 so i want to make it easier for my self next year.

Yes I'd do FP2 next particularly if you haven't completed S1. You will have more time to study it.
does fp2 have c3 c4 stuff because i haven't does c3/4

Yes, it requires a large portion of both modules. I recommend S2, we had to learn it before learning half of S1 (and intergration), FP2 is quite brutal in the early days.

Yes it assumes knowledge of C3 and C4.

You can't do FP2 until you've done C3 and C4 (or at least the calculus chapters from C3 and C4).
Original post by Plagioclase
You can't do FP2 until you've done C3 and C4 (or at least the calculus chapters from C3 and C4).

This ^ Also the trig chapters
The amount that requires C3-4 content depends on the board, but there should be some that doesn't require it.
Original post by morgan8002
The amount that requires C3-4 content depends on the board, but there should be some that doesn't require it.

I'm 90% sure he's doing Edexcel, Almost every school does Edexcel. Just saying
yes i do edexcel

i do edexcel
do u think i should do it or not?
i do edexcel

Finish C3/4 before FP2
i do edexcel

Bare in Mind C3 and C4 is not a walk in the park like C1 and C2 and nor is FP2.
i do edexcel

Not without C3/4. I believe FP2 is mostly differential equations, possibly with some hyperbolic trig,

S2 would be better if you're good at statistics.
Not without C3/4. I believe FP2 is mostly differential equations, possibly with some hyperbolic trig,

S2 would be better if you're good at statistics.

S2 was actually failry easy, I did it last year. You just need to know about Discreet Random Variables and Normal Distribution (as well as C1 and C2) to do it.

FP2 has Further Complex numbers that goes on forever and makes me want to kill myself.
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/docs/Edexcel%20FP2%20and%20FP3%20prerequisites%201.1.pdf

Ah - you didn't say which C modules you have done.

You'll need to start S2 then.
Original post by TheSammy2010
S2 was actually failry easy, I did it last year. You just need to know about Discreet Random Variables and Normal Distribution (as well as C1 and C2) to do it.

FP2 has Further Complex numbers that goes on forever and makes me want to kill myself.

Yes, but some people(myself included) tend to do badly in statistics exams.

Ah I thought that was FP3. The majority of complex numbers should be doable without C3/4.
Yes, but some people(myself included) tend to do badly in statistics exams.

Ah I thought that was FP3. The majority of complex numbers should be doable without C3/4.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Stats is just ugly. Pure maths all the way!!
I'm doing both - I'm self-teaching AS further maths in year 13, doing FP1 FP2 S2.

FP2 is the harder unit by a significant way - it builds on FP1, C3 and C4 and can be pretty tricky at times.

The content of S2 is easier by any measure, but if you don't like stats it will be a real grind and hard to motivate yourself to study for it properly.

Really it depends how you get on with stats...
Original post by TheSammy2010
Yeah, I get what you mean. Stats is just ugly. Pure maths all the way!!

I'd say there is a beauty to stats, but not as much as pure maths.

Quick Reply

Latest