The Student Room Group

My chances of getting an interview at Oxford for History

Hi, I am looking at applying to Oxford to study History. I achieved 8 A*s and 2 A's (Maths and Art). I achieved a score of 99/100 In the International GCSE History exam. I go to a top boys private secondary school where a lot of boys have 9 or 10 A*'s. My school have encouraged me to apply to do History at Oxbridge and without coming across as cocky, the reports show that I am one of the best (if not the best) at History in my year. I am doing the IB Diploma and for Oxford an offer is 38-39 points. I do History, English and Philosophy at Higher Level and Latin, Chemistry and Maths at Standard Level. Though I haven't been given my predictions yet I reckon I will be (or at least hope to be) in the 40s. Having said this I am very passionate about History and I have read quite a few history books on the Renaissance and the Medici family already. I also aim to visit Florence so that I can carry out any historical research whilst I am there. This will then be followed by a school trip to Berlin in October time after Oxbridge applications have been sent off. I also have my own history blog in which I post articles on anything I have learnt from my wider reading as well as any school essays I have done. I would be very grateful if you could tell me what are the chances like of getting an interview at Oxford based on my GCSE grades, predicted grades I think I will be given and my passion for history? I am concerned that though I have done remarkably well in GCSE's that this is not enough to get an interview because a number of my friends are applying to do History at Oxford and they have 9 or 10 A*'s and Oxford compare you in relation to your school and the average was 8 A*'s I believe. I would be grateful if you could tell me my chances of receiving an interview at Oxford and whether it is worth me applying and whether my GCSE grades are good enough? Thank you
Original post by sagoojt
Hi, I am looking at applying to Oxford to study History. I achieved 8 A*s and 2 A's (Maths and Art). I achieved a score of 99/100 In the International GCSE History exam. I go to a top boys private secondary school where a lot of boys have 9 or 10 A*'s. My school have encouraged me to apply to do History at Oxbridge and without coming across as cocky, the reports show that I am one of the best (if not the best) at History in my year. I am doing the IB Diploma and for Oxford an offer is 38-39 points. I do History, English and Philosophy at Higher Level and Latin, Chemistry and Maths at Standard Level. Though I haven't been given my predictions yet I reckon I will be (or at least hope to be) in the 40s. Having said this I am very passionate about History and I have read quite a few history books on the Renaissance and the Medici family already. I also aim to visit Florence so that I can carry out any historical research whilst I am there. This will then be followed by a school trip to Berlin in October time after Oxbridge applications have been sent off. I also have my own history blog in which I post articles on anything I have learnt from my wider reading as well as any school essays I have done. I would be very grateful if you could tell me what are the chances like of getting an interview at Oxford based on my GCSE grades, predicted grades I think I will be given and my passion for history? I am concerned that though I have done remarkably well in GCSE's that this is not enough to get an interview because a number of my friends are applying to do History at Oxford and they have 9 or 10 A*'s and Oxford compare you in relation to your school and the average was 8 A*'s I believe. I would be grateful if you could tell me my chances of receiving an interview at Oxford and whether it is worth me applying and whether my GCSE grades are good enough? Thank you

You're solid imo, dw.

Spoiler

In my humble opinion, you have a very good chance of getting an interview. :smile:
Reply 3
thanks lol, don't like having to promote myself but I reckon in this case it made sense to
Reply 4
Original post by Thaladan
In my humble opinion, you have a very good chance of getting an interview. :smile:

Thank you very much, I just thought it best to ask because oxbridge requires a lot more work and I'd want to know whether it was worth it with what I had already.
Reply 5
[QUOTE="Thaladan;61935305"]In my humble opinion, you have a very good chance of getting an interview. :smile:[/QUOTE

Thank you, I'm just slightly worried because most others who are applying to do history in my class will have 9 or 10 A*'s and I have 8, and though I feel very bad at saying this, I know I'm one of the best in the year at history. Oxford compare your gcse results to everyone else and 8 A*'s were average. Given I pass the HAT would I still be at a disadvantage of getting an interview because of fierce competition?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending