The Student Room Group

Are these good A Level options?

maths, geography, french and chemistry

anyone doing AS on these subjects who can give their opinion?
Original post by abc2626

It depends on what you're applying for, obviously. If it's history or english or something, then they're terrible, but it its french, maths, geography, etc, then you're good.
Reply 2
Original post by MiracleLeaf
It depends on what you're applying for, obviously. If it's history or english or something, then they're terrible, but it its french, maths, geography, etc, then you're good.

I don't know what I want to do as a career so by choosing these subjects, I'm keeping my options open
Original post by abc2626

Depends what you want to do but in my experience :

AS Chemistry (OCR) is horrible, I have done 6 AS Levels and this by far the most agonising subject ever. I loved chemistry at GCSE, my love pretty much disappeared due to AS chemistry.

AS Geography (Edexcel ) fairly interesting subject overall but some sections I did were a bit tedious (e.g coasts) others are really interesting (natural disasters ) if you want an academic subject which is not too horrible workwise go for Geography. The fieldwork is pretty bad if like us you go to some little place near essex where there is literally nothing but some houses and few little shops.

Other AS's I have done are English Lit, Sociology, Economics and Biology if you have any questions about any of these.

p.s I got B's and A's in my 5 other AS's in Chemistry AS I got a U...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Guardianbright
Depends what you want to do but in my experience :

AS Chemistry (OCR) is horrible, I have done 6 AS Levels and this by far the most agonising subject ever. I loved chemistry at GCSE, my love pretty much disappeared due to AS chemistry.

AS Geography (Edexcel ) fairly interesting subject overall but some sections I did were a bit tedious (e.g coasts) others are really interesting (natural disasters ) if you want an academic subject which is not too horrible workwise go for Geography. The fieldwork is pretty bad if like us you go to some little place near essex where there is literally nothing but some houses and few little shops.

yeh I've heard that A level chemistry can be a bit tough however to do anything science related, you need chemistry so that's primarily why I chose it. But at GCSE it seems alright, not so interesting, but it's manageable.

I thoroughly enjoy geography as most topics are interesting apart from rivers n coasts which u mentioned. I didn't know u have to do fieldwork for A level geography. do you have to do coursework based on it?
These look pretty good but for keeping options open maybe do a more essay-heavy option instead of French, like English Lit or something? Unless of course you love French! I did French, along with 4 science A levels, but it wasn't particularly essay-y
Reply 6
Original post by Planckton
These look pretty good but for keeping options open maybe do a more essay-heavy option instead of French, like English Lit or something? Unless of course you love French! I did French, along with 4 science A levels, but it wasn't particularly essay-y

I was thinking of taking french so that it would sorta offer me opportunities internationally because taking a language always looks good. was it particularly hard? since GCSE french doesn't make you anywhere near fluent in it
I do love chemistry but I can't say that I will miss it after A-levels are over... It's interesting but it's just so much information. My chemistry notes are like 3 times thicker than all my other subjects and I dread the day I'm going to have to start revising them. But I do not regret choosing it - it is undoubtedly the best science. :colondollar:

On the other hand I LOVE my other subjects maths, further maths and economics. Maths i just find fun and enjoyable, none of that wordy gobbledegook you find in subjects like history and english lit, and none of the huge chunks of information you have to memorise for sciences. Economics is so interesting! Some concepts/topics in macroeconomics can be a bit difficult to get your head around but its exciting learning about something so important and modern - it's just a cool subject, not like learning maths or science! Microeconomics however can be a bit tedious but on a plus side micro is quite easy (in year 12 at least - apparently in year 13 it gets quite technical and complex).
Original post by abc2626
I was thinking of taking french so that it would sorta offer me opportunities internationally because taking a language always looks good. was it particularly hard? since GCSE french doesn't make you anywhere near fluent in it

Ah fair enough! No I didn't find it hard at all but it has always come naturally to me. I think you either get it or don't, in our class we got 3 As, 2Bs an E and a U. Having a small class size really helps, I'm taking French courses at uni now
Original post by abc2626
yeh I've heard that A level chemistry can be a bit tough however to do anything science related, you need chemistry so that's primarily why I chose it. But at GCSE it seems alright, not so interesting, but it's manageable.

I thoroughly enjoy geography as most topics are interesting apart from rivers n coasts which u mentioned. I didn't know u have to do fieldwork for A level geography. do you have to do coursework based on it?

Nope you have to answer exam questions on your fieldwork which is realy odd, means you need to actually revise your fieldwork.

e.g. Describe the fieldwork and research methods that you used to investigate the success of coastal defences along a named stretch of coastline (15 marks)

Most schools go to different areas so they have a section where you write the name of the area where you conducted the fieldwork.

Yes of course if you want to persue science then Chemistry is important.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I do love chemistry but I can't say that I will miss it after A-levels are over... It's interesting but it's just so much information. My chemistry notes are like 3 times thicker than all my other subjects and I dread the day I'm going to have to start revising them. But I do not regret choosing it - it is undoubtedly the best science. :colondollar:

On the other hand I LOVE my other subjects maths, further maths and economics. Maths i just find fun and enjoyable, none of that wordy gobbledegook you find in subjects like history and english lit, and none of the huge chunks of information you have to memorise for sciences. Economics is so interesting! Some concepts/topics in macroeconomics can be a bit difficult to get your head around but its exciting learning about something so important and modern - it's just a cool subject, not like learning maths or science! Microeconomics however can be a bit tedious but on a plus side micro is quite easy (in year 12 at least - apparently in year 13 it gets quite technical and complex).

AS Economics is amazing. Especially Microeconomics.
A2 Economics is horrible in comparison to AS as it's all the boring stuff.
HELLLP
Hey guys I've just applied to fortismere and Alexander park sixth forms which one gets higher grades and is better academically because I want to study medicine in the future and I'm predicted mostly A*s

Posted from TSR Mobile
AS Economics is amazing. Especially Microeconomics.
A2 Economics is horrible in comparison to AS as it's all the boring stuff.

well i guess we have differing opinions as i find micro utterly dull... all we do is draw graphs and do calculations. what exam board did u do?
Original post by Questions4367
HELLLP
Hey guys I've just applied to fortismere and Alexander park sixth forms which one gets higher grades and is better academically because I want to study medicine in the future and I'm predicted mostly A*s

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can get A*s at one school you'll be able to get them at another school
well i guess we have differing opinions as i find micro utterly dull... all we do is draw graphs and do calculations. what exam board did u do?

I did OCR, I do hear AQA is horrible though.... I went to some tutor2u revision days where they cover all boards and I was actually glad we weren't doing AQA.
I did OCR, I do hear AQA is horrible though.... I went to some tutor2u revision days where they cover all boards and I was actually glad we weren't doing AQA.

i do OCR too (the new a level though)
i do OCR too (the new a level though)

That would explain it. Our spec had barely any maths, one 2 mark question in each unit only and that tended to be calculating a percentage.
That would explain it. Our spec had barely any maths, one 2 mark question in each unit only and that tended to be calculating a percentage.

ah i see. well the main thing they wanted to change in the reforms for economics a level was that all the exam boards had to increase their mathematical content. we literally use maths every lesson and have so many formulae to memorise... at least in actual maths we get formula booklets!

edit: i just checked and the exam boards had to make the course minimum 20% mathematical content.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest