The Student Room Group

Have Charlie Hebdo cartoon gone too far?

Scroll to see replies

Based
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Where is the hypocrisy?

I wrote about it in my first post. That of encouraging immigration with the picture of Alan, but later being anti-immigration following the cologne attacks. It's more fickle than contradictory I suppose.
People are a bit dim, to not understand what the cartoon is saying, it's not saying Alan would have grown up to be a pervert it's saying how fickle our societies opinions are.
Original post by simbasdragon
I wrote about it in my first post. That of encouraging immigration with the picture of Alan, but later being anti-immigration following the cologne attacks. It's more fickle than contradictory I suppose.

The words in the cartoon are saying that Aylan would have grown up to be a groper, not that he is.

If there was a message of hypocrisy or fickleness of the media, then one would simply be expected to have seen Aylan (the kid that he was) portrayed as a groper, with some kind of barbed wire, gated entry type scenario.

Your explanation bears no semblance to what the words in the cartoon are actually saying.
The words in the cartoon are saying that Aylan would have grown up to be a groper, not that he is.

If there was a message of hypocrisy or fickleness of the media, then one would simply be expected to have seen Aylan (the kid that he was) portrayed as a groper, with some kind of barbed wire, gated entry type scenario.

Your explanation bears no semblance to what the words in the cartoon are actually saying.

It may be suggesting that the press only had sympathy for him as he was a child, when they would have ended up demonising him with all the others upon becoming an adult.
It may be suggesting that the press only had sympathy for him as he was a child, when they would have ended up demonising him with all the others upon becoming an adult.

Rubbish and ridiculous the amount of theories that you have going on to justify the "satire" in the picture when in fact, you don't even seem to know where the satire lies.

There isn't even a hit of it being related to the press so I don't see where you have got this notion from.

It's suggesting that people from the MENA region are unable to change themselves and regardless if Aylan had been let in as an adult or a child, he still would have become a groper.

If it had meant to be satirical, it would have depicted a representative from the National Front like Le Pen saying those comments, thus ridiculing the notion that everyone from the region was a sexual predator. Instead, it's reinforcing the false assertion about how people from that part of the world will not change and playing into stereotypes and stoking fear.

Charlie Hebdo may have been satirical in it's past but it simply is an outlet to instigate widespread marginalization and demonisation against minority groups in France, ironically, the same groups who should be the most protected.
Original post by simon_g
x

@simbasdragon - I rest my case.
(edited 8 years ago)
@simbasdragon - I rest my case.

What is your case exactly?
What is your case exactly?

That contrary to your speculation (the errors of which I pointed out), the depiction wasn't satire and was intended to drive a point that played and resonated with the majority of French people, with the resulting conclusion that will continue to demonise and marginalize groups of people who are already under intense scrutiny.
The Bible and the quran both have far more disgusting content than anything Hebdo can scribble onto paper. Until those two books are banned I won't entertain any opinions over Hebdo.
*Sigh*

No-one gets French humor...

Have to agree with you.

The cartoon is lampooning those who on one hand were crying over the death and then suddenly getting excited about 'rape refugees'
Original post by BaconandSauce
Have to agree with you.

I have to disagree with you there, ol' boy.

The cartoon is lampooning those who on one hand were crying over the death and then suddenly getting excited about 'rape refugees'

The cartoon is saying nothing of the sort, as explained by my post here.
I have to disagree with you there, ol' boy.
The cartoon is saying nothing of the sort, as explained by my post here.

I was agreeing with your comment 'No-one gets French humor...' but hey don;t let that get in the way of your usual standard of reply to me Errmm.

The Artist gives a different opinion to you then 'dear child'

and I know who I'll believe
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce
The Artist gives a different opinion to you then dear boy

and I know who I'll believe

Could you share that information with the rest of us?
Reply 34
Rubbish and ridiculous the amount of theories that you have going on to justify the "satire" in the picture when in fact, you don't even seem to know where the satire lies.

There isn't even a hit of it being related to the press so I don't see where you have got this notion from.

So it can't be satire because it doesn't clearly tell you so? It isn't the Daily Mail I'm afraid, spoon-feeding everything...

Is it satire? Isn't it? You've already made up your mind, I and many others think otherwise based on the context. Unless anyone involved in its production is going to make a statement either way I hardly think you're in a position to tell us we're wrong and you're right with any kind of authority.
Could you share that information with the rest of us?

If anyone but you had asked I would have done so Ermmm but you're simply not worth the effort given I know how it'll end.

You reap what you sow as they say (or in your case act like a dick get treated with the contempt you deserve)
Original post by offhegoes
So it can't be satire because it doesn't clearly tell you so? It isn't the Daily Mail I'm afraid, spoon-feeding everything...

Someone made the point that it was lampooning the newspapers and their apparent hypocrisy, making out that there was some kind of satire present. I simply disagreed with it and gave my reasons.

Is it satire? Isn't it? You've already made up your mind, I and many others think otherwise based on the context. Unless anyone involved in its production is going to make a statement either way I hardly think you're in a position to tell us we're wrong and you're right with any kind of authority.

If you wait a couple of minutes, @BaconandSauce will give us a source that should clear the matter up.

EDIT: Looks like he flaked out on given us a source. Never mind!
Reply 37
Someone made the point that it was lampooning the newspapers and their apparent hypocrisy, making out that there was some kind of satire present. I simply disagreed with it and gave my reasons.

"Simply disagreeing" doesn't usually involve caling it "rubbish and ridiculous" that someone gave a range of reasons why they interpret it as satire. Likewise stating that it is "nothing of the sort" as if you have it all figured out.

If you wait a couple of minutes, @BaconandSauce will give us a source that should clear the matter up.

EDIT: Looks like he flaked out on given us a source. Never mind!

It would have been irrelevant. If I ridicule someone for telling me God doesn't exist, the later of appearance of said God wouldn't diminish the fact that I was making statements as fact that I couldn't back up.
I don't think it's a matter of Charlie Hebdo going too far, it's a statement that, like many other posters have mentioned, points out the irony of having that feeling of shock and sadness when we initially saw the photo of the boy which led to many asking for these refugees to have a place in Western countries away from their war-torn homes. Now that we're more and more of these sexual assault stories occurring in European countries that have readily taken in all these refugees/immigrants against western women, it's becoming more evident that it's not just 'a select few in the group' that's tarnishing the image of the male immigrants, rather it's what they view as a normal way to treat women based on THEIR culture and THEIR way of treating women.

As a person whose parents were 1st gen immigrants, I must say this. If you are willing to jump ship and enter a new country to better your life and the lives of your family, then you HAVE TO assimilate and integrate into Western society and realise that what MIGHT'VE been OK back in whatever country you came from will not be OK in the West. On the basis that Syria was a Muslim country, the culture there was strongly influenced by religion. So their views on how women should be treated, how they should be dressed, how they should be punished, etc. has to be from what they heard/read in the Quran. That they are second best, aren't equal to men and essentially property. Their views on homosexuality will not correspond with Western views, which are more accepting and liberal. They need to change their views if they want to continue living in the West. Otherwise, **** off back to where they came from.
Original post by Jibola240
Recently the cartoon put out some disturbing cartoons that suggest that the drowned boy(Kurdi) may have grew up to be a sexual abuser. I think what they did was distasteful, but this is what they are know for, so I'm not sure why there is such an outrage among a few people. Further reading with some of the images:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/14/charlie-hebdo-cartoon-depicting-drowned-child-alan-kurdi-sparks-racism-debate

They are just being their usual pathetic selves. It's a sad truth of society that this still goes down as freedom of speech. Nobody will say anything, except some disgusted members of the public. The comic company disgusts me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending