The Student Room Group

Really worried 54% turnitin 'similarity report' 3000 words

I recently did a 3000 word report. This exc bilbiography and I normally so far have got all a grades on my uni assignments.
However I really struggled with this 3000 word assignment as it had to be in scientific format. I used alot of the same books for my old assignment..
when i went into turn it in today it said my similiarity report was 54%.I'm really worried as I have never have a high amount as this.
When i clicked to look at it, it say 14% is from a uni paper..i clicked it and its my own paper and the references. The rest of the 1% are bibliography references and quotes. When i google people say over 50% is instant banning of uni..but no tutors contacted me? I clicked exc percentage of bibliography references and citations and it went down to 0%.
Is this normal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's rarely an instant dismissal from university. They usually fail your first assignment and dismiss you on your second. Without the 14% of your own paper, 40% is still a very high Turnitin mark. References and quotes shouldn't count towards the similarity though as long as it's not excessive. Personally, if your tutor hasn't said anything yet, I'd contact them about this.
Reply 2
hi 13% is quotation from a previous paper report I submitted which got an A grade this is what shows as the highest list of 'similarity' according to turn it in. I've looked as I know i plagurised nothing and the other percentage is 1% from different sources- all references like authors names. When i clicked on turnitin further and clicked exclude bibliography+citation similarity..it disappeared to 0% similarity.
My references was 4 pages long and nearly all of this has been linked at 1% per every reference?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
hi there

I did a 2500 words report and just turnitin and it came out as 67% similarities. I have cited and linked all together. I am very worried as this is my first ever assignment.
Reply 4
My friend had a really high similarly and he is still on the course
It depends on what the similarity is some subjects naturally will have a high similarity
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
The problem is turnitin is it counts bibliography and any in-text citations as part of the percentage which means you're not getting a 'true' result.

So if I were you I would email your tutor to voice your concerns but it wouldn't be something I would be worrying about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I submitted a scientific report recently too, 2000 words and it came back with 30% similarity, but a lot of it was single words each giving me 1% for example I had 6 instances of the word 'Copper' and 'Cu' and each instance came back as 1% similarity. I explained this to my tutor in an email and my work was marked and graded, no problems.

See if the 14% from yours is because you've used similar words and phrases, which suggests a writing style rather than plagiarism.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jennyp33
The problem is turnitin is it counts bibliography and any in-text citations as part of the percentage which means you're not getting a 'true' result.

So if I were you I would email your tutor to voice your concerns but it wouldn't be something I would be worrying about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks guys...
Reply 8
Original post by KrisTH
I submitted a scientific report recently too, 2000 words and it came back with 30% similarity, but a lot of it was single words each giving me 1% for example I had 6 instances of the word 'Copper' and 'Cu' and each instance came back as 1% similarity. I explained this to my tutor in an email and my work was marked and graded, no problems.

See if the 14% from yours is because you've used similar words and phrases, which suggests a writing style rather than plagiarism.

ok..tnx so much
Reply 9
Original post by carmenb
ok..tnx so much

No worries, hope it all works out for you :smile:
I got 22% similarity score (written in green bar) in my dissertation and I am really worried. It never happened in other assignments ever. kindly advice on that. is there any way to do a self-check?
Markers don't just look at the similarity index. That is just a cue to check for plagiarism. As long as you haven't copied you have nothing to worry about. Any accusations of copying will be checked and you will have the chance to explain yourself.

You should be careful about copying yourself though. It is possible to self-plagiarise i.e. using the same work for more than one assignment.
"You should be careful about copying yourself though. It is possible to self-plagiarise i.e. using the same work for more than one assignment."

Its actually bad to copy your own work and use it for more than one assignment. It shows poor effort and might result in grades being deducted. Or if you do copy it, change the word layout or use different words at least so its not exactly the same.
Hello last month i have submitted one of my essays and it was 2286 words on Turnitin link as it says that A Similarity Report is too hight and concerns have been raised regarding the 68% similarity score, 56% of which matches a paper previously submitted to university and i for one did not use previous or published work from university. so not sure what happing. This is the first time this happing to me and i am worried. so does anyone has any suggestions about this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey,
I am a first year undergraduate, and submitted my first assignment. We were given research results etc. and were asked to write a report (for psychology).
I submitted it to turnitin last minute, and had to submit it before I got back the turnitin percentage.
I checked it now, and it comes up with 98%. There is no way that can be right. It says a lot of it is 'submitted to ....(my uni)...'. I don't know what to do and I am freaking out because I did not copy anyone's work. Some of it was expected to be similar as we were all given the same research results, however 98%? That can't be true?
What will this mean for me? I am on the verge of breaking down into tears tbh.
Reply 15
Original post by girlonline32
Hey,
I am a first year undergraduate, and submitted my first assignment. We were given research results etc. and were asked to write a report (for psychology).
I submitted it to turnitin last minute, and had to submit it before I got back the turnitin percentage.
I checked it now, and it comes up with 98%. There is no way that can be right. It says a lot of it is 'submitted to ....(my uni)...'. I don't know what to do and I am freaking out because I did not copy anyone's work. Some of it was expected to be similar as we were all given the same research results, however 98%? That can't be true?

98% is ridiculously high - speak to your tutor.
Original post by IWMTom
98% is ridiculously high - speak to your tutor.

Exactly, how on earth did it come up that high? I'm freaking out and I sent my tutor a message but she won't get back to me until Monday.
Original post by girlonline32
Hey,

Have you looked at the report? What has come back highlighted? Was it a lab report or a formatted word sheet?
I’ve recently submitted an essay that shows 6% similarity to another student, has anyone else had this? Do you think this will be a problem?
Reply 19
Original post by Student 4321
I’ve recently submitted an essay that shows 6% similarity to another student, has anyone else had this? Do you think this will be a problem?

6% is nothing lol

Latest

Trending

Trending