The Student Room Group

Bill aiming to ban child marriages shot down in Pakistan as ‘anti-Islamic’.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1027742/settled-matter-bill-aiming-to-ban-child-marriages-shot-down

"Another move to ban child marriages in Pakistan has fallen at the first hurdle. The bill to prohibit underage marriages has been withdrawn after the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) declared it un-Islamic. The ruling party lawmaker, who moved the bill, withdrew her proposal on Thursday following staunch resistance from the council, which advises the legislature whether or not a certain law is Sharia-compliant."

Parliament cannot create legislation that is against the teachings of the Holy Quran or Sunnah, he had said while backing his arguments with relevant laws and a few references from the Holy Quran and Hadith."
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

But is a Pakistan a true muslim country with the right interpretation of Islam though? Certainly other Muslims, will disagree with the Council of Islamic ideology- are they true Muslims? Not if it makes Islam look bad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emperor Trajan
But is a Pakistan a true muslim country with the right interpretation of Islam though? Certainly other Muslims, will disagree with the Council of Islamic ideology.

Perhaps, but then again, perhaps not.

Lets ask Muhammad. The prophet who brings Allah's word to the world.

Me: "Muhammad, is it acceptable to marry girls as young as 9?"
Muhammad: "Yes. In fact, I married one myself. In fact she was younger"
(edited 8 years ago)
Prophet Muhammed is believed to have married Aishah when she was just six years old. It seems like Council of Islamic Ideology have a good point.
Original post by NickLCFC
Prophet Muhammed is believed to have married Aishah when she was just six years old. It seems like Council of Islamic Ideology have a good point.

That they do.
But is a Pakistan a true muslim country with the right interpretation of Islam though? Certainly other Muslims, will disagree with the Council of Islamic ideology- are they true Muslims? Not if it makes Islam look bad.

i think the CII in pakistan agree with mohammed and various other islamic figures, who were happy with child marriage, thereby making it islamic. of course there will be some muslims against it, but then they are being influenced by non-islamic cultures, which are of no consequence to islamic states like pakistan
Reply 6
Original post by AlwaysWatching

yet, if you state that he was in fact a paedophile you may get a warning because of some idiots.
But is a Pakistan a true Muslim country with the right interpretation of Islam though? Certainly other Muslims, will disagree with the Council of Islamic ideology- are they true Muslims? Not if it makes Islam look bad.

Here we go again with the no true Scotsman fallacy, just because it doesn't suit your agenda or your interpretation of said religion. That's called cherry picking, and sadly lots of...no...wait...most if not all religions do it.
Religion is subjective based on personal beliefs, interpretation and upbringing. A person raised to follow a religion in Pakistan may not necessarily be any less of a true follower than a person here in the UK. The only difference is that their interpretation may be different and therefore they will abide by it in a different way. However, if the people are reading out of the same Holy Book then why is one less of a true representation of the religion than the other?
You cannot simply say that they don't represent or follow the religion properly just because you don't like the way they practice the religion. That's incorrect and it's also lazy because you are effectively sticking your fingers in your ears and say "la la I'm not listening, they are not a true representation of the religion." Instead, perhaps people within the religion should do more to tackle things like this, at home at abroad.

Oh and by the way, all religions makes religion look bad in one way or another. It isn't just the people who follow it.
Why are the West trying to impose their rules on other countries?

Child marriages are a cultural thing - just because it's different to West's tradition.
Original post by AlwaysWatching

Firstly, do you mind providing evidence for the Prophet marrying an female aged 9? (ideally from the Quran)

My prediction is that you're going to using books from 1 sect of the religion, and then claim that this is the true and absolute Islam. Anyway, we'll find out...
Original post by NickLCFC

Yeah, you do realise that he was also 'believed' to marry a girl aged over 20. I wonder why you have only seen 1 sect, and then generalized that this must be Islam. Before making such claims, try reading more my friend.

*They read some hadiths and then all of sudden become masters of the religion*
Reply 11
Original post by Danny McCoyne

Child marriages are a cultural thing - just because it's different to West's tradition.

It's like selling your kid marrying them off at that age. They have no say in the issue and we live in a world where forcing young girls to marry grown men is generally frowned upon because it takes away a childhood, that is a good thing. A married kid can't develop as a human in the same way a kid free from encumbrances can as they go to school and stuff. There's also the issue of sexual maturity which children simply don't have. Even at 13 the ovaries might start producing eggs but the body isn't ready to have other children!

Pretty ****ed up culture.
No child at that age can make a decision like that, its always forced.
Child marriages are coming to the UK.

Glad you're so open you support rape and pedophilia.

Original post by mil88
Firstly, do you mind providing evidence for the Prophet marrying an female aged 9? (ideally from the Quran)My prediction is that you're going to using books from 1 sect of the religion, and then claim that this is the true and absolute Islam. Anyway, we'll find out...
Why does the information have to come from the Quran? Because you already know that she is barely mentioned, and her age isnt specified in the Quran?In any case:s-smilie:ahih al-Bukhari (5:58:234, 5:58:236, 7:62:64, 7:62:65, 7:62:88)
Sahih Muslim (8:3309, 8:3310, 8:3311, 41:4915)
Sunan Abu Dawood, (41:4917)
Original post by Willdono
Child marriages are coming to the UK.

They are already here.
Religion shouldn't have any place in law making
Reply 17
Original post by mil88
Yeah, you do realise that he was also 'believed' to marry a girl aged over 20. I wonder why you have only seen 1 sect, and then generalized that this must be Islam. Before making such claims, try reading more my friend.

Why don't you tell the Council of Islamic Ideology?

I.e. paedophilia and rape is a cultural thing.

Original post by mil88

I never claimed to be an expert in Islam but you're right, Prophet Muhammed was believed to have multiple wives...
Regarding Aishah;

"26 كتاب النكاح The Book of Marriage
(78)Chapter: Consummation Of Marriage With A Girl Of Nine(78) باب الْبِنَاءِ بِابْنَةِ تِسْعٍ ‏.‏
It was narrated that 'Aishah said: "The Messenger of Allah married me when I was six, and consummated the marriage with me when I was nine."
أَخْبَرَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ سَعْدِ بْنِ الْحَكَمِ بْنِ أَبِي مَرْيَمَ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا عَمِّي، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ أَيُّوبَ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنِي عُمَارَةُ بْنُ غَزِيَّةَ، عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، عَنْ أَبِي سَلَمَةَ بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، قَالَتْ تَزَوَّجَنِي رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَهِيَ بِنْتُ سِتِّ سِنِينَ وَبَنَى بِهَا وَهِيَ بِنْتُ تِسْعٍ ‏.‏
Grade : Hasan (Darussalam)
Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 3379 In-book reference : Book 26, Hadith 184 English translation : Vol. 4, Book 26, Hadith 3381 http://sunnah.com/nasai/26/184

67 Wedlock, Marriage (Nikaah)
(60)Chapter: Whoever consummated his marriage with a lady of nine years of age(59)باب مَنْ بَنَى بِامْرَأَةٍ وَهْىَ بِنْتُ تِسْعِ سِنِينَ
Narrated 'Urwa: The Prophet (ﷺ) wrote the (marriage contract) with `Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).
حَدَّثَنَا قَبِيصَةُ بْنُ عُقْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا سُفْيَانُ، عَنْ هِشَامِ بْنِ عُرْوَةَ، عَنْ عُرْوَةَ، تَزَوَّجَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم عَائِشَةَ وَهْىَ ابْنَةُ سِتٍّ وَبَنَى بِهَا وَهْىَ ابْنَةُ تِسْعٍ وَمَكَثَتْ عِنْدَهُ تِسْعًا‏.‏
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 5158 In-book reference : Book 67, Hadith 93 USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 7, Book 62, Hadith 88 http://sunnah.com/bukhari/67/93

26 كتاب النكاح The Book of Marriage
(78)Chapter: Consummation Of Marriage With A Girl Of Nine(78) باب الْبِنَاءِ بِابْنَةِ تِسْعٍ ‏.‏
It was narrated that 'Aishah said: "The Messenger of Allah married me when I was six, and consummated the marriage with me when I was nine, and I used to play with dolls."
أَخْبَرَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ آدَمَ، عَنْ عَبْدَةَ، عَنْ هِشَامٍ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، قَالَتْ تَزَوَّجَنِي رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَأَنَا بِنْتُ سِتٍّ وَدَخَلَ عَلَىَّ وَأَنَا بِنْتُ تِسْعِ سِنِينَ وَكُنْتُ أَلْعَبُ بِالْبَنَاتِ ‏.‏
Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)
Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 3378 In-book reference : Book 26, Hadith 183 English translation : Vol. 4, Book 26, Hadith 3380 http://sunnah.com/nasai/26/183"
(edited 8 years ago)

not necessarrily, in neighbouring non-islamic india , the law provides a minimum age of consent of 16-18. Bhutan again non islamic its 18.

this is not pushing western culutre, it pushing child welfare which various NGOs also push, unicef, save the children etc

its an islamically driven law not a cultural one in this case, although in parts of africa where islam is also in place, both cultures support the idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending